• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Theme Park to Be Replaced by Japan's Biggest Gundam Model Center

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:37 am Reply with quote
So this is going to be like the reverse of Disney's California Adventure, which was initially just a place to buy merchandise but eventually grew into a real theme park?

Considering how much praise California Adventure got when they fired the guy who thought people go to Disney theme parks to shop and replaced him with someone who genuinely understood the customer base, I wonder if there's going to be a lot of complaining here. Gundam's a totally different beast though--the merchandise has been a core part of it since Day One, and proportionally, it has way more fans more interested in buying the merch than riding the rides than Disney's fans.
SpeckTech

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Easy availability of model kits > a theme park for a casual audience
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:19 pm Reply with quote
SpeckTech wrote:

Well, for someone more interested in buying model kits than going on rides. Is that how the Gundam fanbase is largely like?
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully they're smarter about pricing than Gundam Front Tokyo's shop was. The models they had were always full MRSP, and considering how many hobby shops (and Amazon) slash the price by 10-20%, buying model kits at the Big Official Store was never a particularly attractive option.

SpeckTech wrote:

Easy availability of model kits isn't even close to being a problem in Japan, though. Gunpla is basically everywhere.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:48 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
SpeckTech wrote:

Well, for someone more interested in buying model kits than going on rides. Is that how the Gundam fanbase is largely like?

The G Front was actually over all meh. It had a 1/1 freedom bust, a 1/1 core fighter and some smaller things that were of little interest. Most went to it for the G Dome which usually had a couple 5 minute shorts running.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:18 am Reply with quote
Hmm. Sounds like a pretty disappointing theme park. They could do better than that!
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:47 am Reply with quote
I guess Bandai didn't bring on someone who knew what they were doing or they didn't manage the whole concept of the store/entertainment complex. I'd imagine the amusement side of it is the lure to get people into the store. Gouging people isn't something i like, but you except it in Japan. Most of the time I'd imagine they don't deal with the fluidity of the market their competiting with product isn't moving but being sold cheaper than there full priced ones in the stores.

I'd imagine they could cut off all stuff going to Amazon and other retailers to keep it exclusive, but it be super risky.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1