• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Power Rangers Film Includes 1st Big-Screen LGBT Superhero

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animechic420

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Oh, this just keeps getting better and better. Rolling Eyes
Nitsugalego

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:02 pm Reply with quote
The good ol' "our movie is crap so we might as well appeal to virtue-signaling progressives " tactic. Works every time, none of the time.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Damned if you do anything, damned if you don't.

It IS a pandering stunt, but likely won't help/hurt the movie ticket sales.
O-chan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Being gay I don't mind a sense of inclusion but I begin to wonder if Hollywood is pushing this a little too hard into narratives where that shouldn't even be a factor. Behind the Beauty and the Beast reveal (which was honestly for a character that seemed long suspect) it's like a few weeks before a film's release they're screaming "Hey, we have a gay character! We're open minded."

Now honestly how this should have been handled is when they were releasing all those extend synopsis of the characters back stories way in the early promo from the film they should of just been upfront then and there. Those synopsis were a huge indicator that these Rangers weren't going to be all squeky clean like in the show, they had baggage. To release that information now especially after all the Beauty and the Beast stuff (which was blown way out of of proportion) it just seems manipulative and undermining the maturity of the audience. I can understand maybe the intent was to fix the negative karma the franchise has had with it's treatment of David Yost but it just feels like at this point there were many opportunities to handle this a bit better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Marcus Carr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Guess Deadpool doesn't count (yet).
The Major arrives five days later.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe that they also want to turn autism into the newest trendy, hip identity to have. What? No, we're talking about a mental disorder here, not some cute accessory you can slap on anyone.

I mean yeah they're fictional characters so it's not that bad, but this trend is in very poor taste.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Sounds to me like they're just throwing the LBGTQ+ community the table scraps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Hollywood just doesn't learn. If you have a character from a source material (movie, TV show, book, manga, etc.) that was originally (LGBT, black, white, Asian, Muslim, Mexican, etc.), don't go about changing such characteristics.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:36 pm Reply with quote
It's a, if somewhat unsteady, step in the right direction for sure. I can't really judge it without seeing the movie but from reading it there's sort of a difference between proper representation and a flyaway "lol girlfriend problems?" comment or a brief reference to being autistic. They might explore it more in the film, I don't know, but just from reading that it feels more like a "lol lets make reference to a character being gay and a character being autistic!!! progress!!!!!" than actual representation.
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:43 pm Reply with quote
How the hell did they get that she's gay from a small conversation like that? Are you kidding me? The word "girlfriend" doesn't always refer to a lover. Girls call their friends girlfriends all the time. This politically correct BS and catering to minority groups is getting old...
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I have no problem with it, but why?

I agree with Kadmos.
kuzronk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:51 pm Reply with quote
As a Genderqueer person who has autism I'm really glad disabilitys and natural love is being showed to the public.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
How the hell did they get that she's gay from a small conversation like that? Are you kidding me? The word "girlfriend" doesn't always refer to a lover. Girls call their friends girlfriends all the time. This politically correct BS and catering to minority groups is getting old...

What is getting old is this erasure garbage. If the "girlfriend problems" is being used in the context of "boyfriend problems" it's obvious it's not meant as in "female friends".

I don't have much hope for this film and I agree with O-chan that making the "reveal" this late in the game seems like a forced and perhaps even desperate marketing campaign. I'm not sure how I feel about how they're using representation as a "gimmick" to sell movies. I want to see more representation, but I want it to be sincere and not people tacking it on and executing it poorly just so they can make headlines and get more publicity
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:00 pm Reply with quote
How convenient for this to be revealed the same day the review embargo goes up. Definitely not an attempt to delay some headlines. Rolling Eyes
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:02 pm Reply with quote
The original Power Rangers was known for featuring a diverse group of teens, but apparently if you do the same thing in 2017 it's "pandering" and "progressive signaling."

Gay people actually exist, guys. Autistic people actually exist. Acknowledging this reality isn't part of some progressive conspiracy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7