• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2D Fan Game Gets Taken Down

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:51 pm Reply with quote
At this point Nintendo's stance on the issue is so well known I can only assume devs are doing it on purpose to promote their game.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:06 pm Reply with quote
In other news, the sky is blue...again...seriously why even bother at this point until it's released?
jesusalcala11

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Lord Dcast wrote:
In other news, the sky is blue...again...seriously why even bother at this point until it's released?

They might not care, they might think that what's happening to other games won't happen to them, or they are unaware of Nintendo's policy against fan creations.

I think it's common for people to be uncaring, disillusioned, or ignorant. Take texting and driving, it still happens even though there is a large campaign against it.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:32 pm Reply with quote
jesusalcala11 wrote:
Lord Dcast wrote:

They might not care, they might think that what's happening to other games won't happen to them, or they are unaware of Nintendo's policy against fan creations.

I think it's common for people to be uncaring, disillusioned, or ignorant. Take texting and driving, it still happens even though there is a large campaign against it.

Texting and driving is illegal in most states. But yes people still do it regardless.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:37 pm Reply with quote
If this dude just released his 2D game as-is, how much traffic do you think he would've gotten? It could've been a lot, but it's probably a lot more if he makes it Zelda.

Since they're not telling him to stop altogether but just change it so it's not explicitly Zelda now, he can still keep going and he's got a ton of media about it too. Sounds like a good enough deal for me.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:38 am Reply with quote
If you do something like this, one should expect to have it taken down. This it is best to consult an attorney to determine if it is fair use. From there, it is up to a court.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:10 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
If this dude just released his 2D game as-is, how much traffic do you think he would've gotten? It could've been a lot, but it's probably a lot more if he makes it Zelda.

Since they're not telling him to stop altogether but just change it so it's not explicitly Zelda now, he can still keep going and he's got a ton of media about it too. Sounds like a good enough deal for me.

That's quite a gamble though--you have projects like this, where they tellhim to stop but don't shut it down. Then there's that Super Metroid project that was recently completely shut down such that they couldn't rebuilt it from the ground up as a different game.

Still, it's interesting to me that more people are taking the GalaxyTrail approach: Work until they get a cease-and-desist, then change things around so it's just far enough from the original franchise that they can't be sued for it.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:34 am Reply with quote
Other ways to sidestep Nintendo.. changes to color pallete, naming schema's etc.
Make it more like a Parody..

Is this guy selling this game or is it free? If no monetary compensation is taking place its even harder for Nintendo to claim any damages if they push it..

just sayin.
SENPAI--

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I don't blame Nintendo they have to protect their brand, if Nintendo steal some indie developer's IP I'm pretty sure Nintendo would get flak for that.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:06 pm Reply with quote
A but disheartening, but Nintendo has to protect their IP somehow...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1