• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Reveals Plans to Dub Anime into Foreign Languages

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:27 am Reply with quote
Well, so long Funimation. It was a nice marriage while it lasted.
Random Name

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:32 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Funi only dubs in English and is a North America distributor. I doubt they care about the foreign market.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:51 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

Where does the article say the marriage is over?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:05 am Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
Funi only dubs in English and is a North America distributor. I doubt they care about the foreign market.

They definitely don't, considering you can't even look at their website if you're from outside the US
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:14 am Reply with quote
Strange choices. Two out of those three were very badly received back when they came out.
navycherub

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:37 am Reply with quote
Seem like weird choices, but I assume based on the maps they release every season that they have the streaming data to justify those choices. Very much hope it's a successful endeavor.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:39 am Reply with quote
Hopefully Crunchy realizes that those in Spain won't take too kindly to dubs not dubbed using native Spanish Spanish speakers. I've seen a lot of negative comments about previous Spanish dubs that use Central American speakers.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:55 am Reply with quote
doesnt Rokka belong to Ponycan USA?

Im still waiting to own Schwarezmarken here in the US.
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:02 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Hopefully Crunchy realizes that those in Spain won't take too kindly to dubs not dubbed using native Spanish Spanish speakers. I've seen a lot of negative comments about previous Spanish dubs that use Central American speakers.

Since Crunchyroll uses two kind of subs for Spanish (Latin America and Spain)*, I think they realized it a long time ago. Smile

* if they own the rights for both regions, that's it.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:34 am Reply with quote
Sorry, couldn't help myself:

via Imgflip Meme Generator
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:35 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Random Name wrote:
Gemnist wrote:

They definitely don't, considering you can't even look at their website if you're from outside the US

Sensing a lot of hostility here.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:07 am Reply with quote
This seems like a better investment than their bring niche mobile games to the west that will shutter after a year of being out. Be interesting to see the quality of the dubs in those languages.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:20 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Sorry, couldn't help myself:

via Imgflip Meme Generator

LOL! But, seriously, sometimes I wish I could get an anime dubbed in the language of the show's setting with English subs. For example, I'd love to watch Rose of Versailles in French. But the only company offering multiple dub/sub options is Netflix.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:00 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

Um, this has nothing to do with English Dubs. FUNimation is still handling those.
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:18 am Reply with quote
[quote="CrowLia"]
Random Name wrote:
Gemnist wrote:

kgw wrote:
a business decision on Funimation's part but streaming has really changed the game. Before revenue was only ever expected from US TV licenses and US VHS/DVD/BDs sales. Now, you've access to 5.8 billion potential users (excluding China due to their arcane Corp rules). I expect a Sony owned Funimation to go after the Spanish/Brazilian
/French/German audiences very soon (there are top professional dubbing houses already doing great dubs all they need is to distribute) to keep Netflix at bay. This is the one great thing Netflix does with anime it has it in multiple languages and I (a bilingual) enjoy that very much.

[quote="kgw"]
Cutiebunny wrote:

Since Crunchyroll uses two kind of subs for Spanish (Latin America and Spain)*, I think they realized it a long time ago. Smile

* if they own the rights for both regions, that's it.

I'd say from a market perspective, Crunchyroll will focus first in Latin America Spanish dubs. Three are more viewers that will enjoy it (myself included) then move to Castilian Spanish for a niche audience.

I'm very sorry for those still hoping for the Funi+Crunchy partnership. It's done. Sony TV will null the partnership once they acquire Funimation. There really is no need for Crunchyroll in a world with dubs and that's what Crunchyroll has found out hence the move to try and beat Funimation to the other dub markets (I used to watch Crunchy for 15+ shows a season. Now, with so many simuldubs I only watch the good shows not getting a dub and there aren't many).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3