• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Licenses How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Damn you Overlord for seemingly producing clones.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Eh... while there is undoubtedly an audience for this one, I found it too mean spirited to be excited about it coming over to North America. Out of all of Seven Seas' current licenses, this one is probably the worst - that I've known of before it was licensed.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Not sure about this one. Any idea can work with good execution, of course, but i'm not trusting of the ingredients listed. I read some light novels in which the protagonist owns slaves (a weirdly popular trope now), but seeing these slave characters described as "well endowed" and "catgirl" makes this trope just an obvious way to force these attractive fetish objects to remain near the protagonist. I'm willing to give this a chance if the reviews are ok, but i'm skeptical.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
Not sure about this one. Any idea can work with good execution, of course, but i'm not trusting of the ingredients listed. I read some light novels in which the protagonist owns slaves (a weirdly popular trope now), but seeing these slave characters described as "well endowed" and "catgirl" makes this trope just an obvious way to force these attractive fetish objects to remain near the protagonist. I'm willing to give this a chance if the reviews are ok, but i'm skeptical.

You're right to be skeptical. It doesn't really do anything with these tropes in any interesting way. It's also pretty mean spirited, so I wouldn't recommend it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
The description isn't exactly what goes on in this series. They are either trying to sell it a certain way or are trying to avoid spoilers.

But either way whoever put out the release did not do a good job.
myskaros

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Everyone has their own threshold, and this is a sensitive enough subject that I won't bother trying to sway anyone in any direction. I do want to explain that although the "slavery" part is exactly what you imagine it to be, it's also true that the protagonist does not take advantage of this status and proactively seeks to dispel the slave magic from the two female leads.

Is it a harem story? No doubt, lots of fanservice to be had. However, I do think one of the major appeals of this title is the comedic gap between the protagonist's social anxiety, how he imagines he should act, and what actually ends up happening or how people around him interpret his actions.

Basically, if you are objecting to the work simply because of the slave piece but might otherwise be interested, I will vouch that the slavery bit, at least as it relates to the main cast, is handled as simply a problem that needs to be resolved. Most of the story does not touch on it. In other words, the way the story handles the slavery is likely not going to turn you off in and of itself.
myskaros

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:42 pm Reply with quote
#874931 wrote:
The description isn't exactly what goes on in this series. They are either trying to sell it a certain way or are trying to avoid spoilers.

But either way whoever put out the release did not do a good job.

Agreed; that story synopsis is... woefully misleading. Notice how the localized title and the story description do not match at all -.-
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Damn you Overlord for seemingly producing clones.

I was just about to say that. This sounds like Overlord Super Light.
chronos02

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Either the one who made the synopsis doesn't know how to do one / is too lazy, or they wrote it that way to mislead people. A correct synopsis would probably be along these lines:

Veteran gamer Sakamoto Takuma suddenly gets summoned to another world in his own avatar "Demon King Diablo", only to notice his summoners are about to enslave him with the summoning ritual, which backfires on them due to Diablo's Magic Reflection passive buff, hence, Sakamoto Takuma finds himself in another world with two pretty slaves; However, due to his social awkwardness he's unable to do much but behave as his Diablo persona, even when the two around him and himself clearly want something else... Follow the socially awkward Diablo while he struggles to keep his own personality in check during his adventures in a not so unknown fantastical world!

This, or simply get some scnlation's synopsis, they describe the title much clearly:

In regards to the MMORPG Cross Reverie,

Sakamoto Takuma boasted an overwhelming strength that was enough for him to be called the [Demon King] by the other players.
One day, he gets summoned to another world with his appearance in the game.
There, there are two people that insist “I am the real summon master.”
Takuma gets slave-turning magic used for summoned beasts cast on him by the girls –
However, the peculiar ability {Magic Reflection} was invoked! The ones that were turned to slaves were the girls!
Takuma was bewildered. He’s the strongest magician but, he doesn’t have any communication skills.
Panicking, the first words that came out were the ones that he used inside the game role playing the Demon King!?
“I’m amazing you say? Of course I am. I am Diablo……The one feared as the Demon King!”
This is the story the Demon King (acting) that would soon inspire the world and his other world adventure that he plunges through with his absolute strength, raise the curtain!

Adapted from the novel of the same name.

And no, it doesn't share similarities to Overlord in any way, safe for the fantastic other wolrd that is virtually the same to game world, and the MC having the same body as his game character, something which, really, far too many isekai titles have (it's either this, or having their real bodies transfered). Also, this one has no serious tropes like overlord, it's a silly and fun novel/manga with some seemingly serious backplot, but it's mainly the characters getting involved in silly things and Diablo trying to keep his poker face in some very surreal situations.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I don't want to throw stones at a manga that I haven't read but the synopsis for it does seem a bit much. The magically enchanted slave girls trope is having your cake and eating it too. It is a way for the protagonist to have something that is morally wrong but finding a way for him to not be responsible for it.
myskaros

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
I don't want to throw stones at a manga that I haven't read but the synopsis for it does seem a bit much. The magically enchanted slave girls trope is having your cake and eating it too. It is a way for the protagonist to have something that is morally wrong but finding a way for him to not be responsible for it.

As has been mentioned multiple times in previous comments, the consensus is that Seven Seas' synopsis is tragically misinformative.
Double Mangekyo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I honestly didn't expect this to get licensed. My own views aside, yes, I know there's an audience for everything, so I do hope Seven Seas can turn a profit from this manga. At least, not lower than expected...

I've seen a good amount of stuff that I thought handled this story's elements much better. The only reason I kept up with scanlations was that the translator, at the time anyway, added some amusing additions throughout the pages. Probably going on my drop list soon...
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Gamer goes to another world

What a twist!

Quote:
a well-endowed elf and a cat girl

Come on now. Mad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:26 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:

They're his slaves...but it's an accident, and he doesn't take advantage of them sexually (because he's too socially awkward to do so), and they were going to enslave him first...so it's ok! Really! Plus, they *want* to screw him, too!

Ugh. I'd rather this just be a straight up hentai where he does take advantage of the willing slave girls and everybody's happy.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:55 am Reply with quote
Lol I suppose the author of this has been influenced by overlord and rising of the shield hero?

I'll keep my eye on this and hope that it's not as silly as it sounds but I won't expect anything better than fetish material using the trends of popular stories.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2