• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Netizens Choose Their Grotesque Anime Must-Watch List

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Apparently Akira gets ranked at 25, Baccano! gets ranked at 30, Ninja Scroll at 37, Deadman Wonderland all the way down at 45. Hellsing's at 26 and Black Lagoon at 21 I think. Why do I feel like this list is missing the nauseating Violence Jack OVAs?

Last edited by Codeanime93 on Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:51 pm Reply with quote
It says a lot about School Days when a "high school harem show" cracks the top 10 in a list like this... Shocked
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Hm. Attack on Titan is a pretty weak choice. I'm surprised to see it. It's only grotesque in the first few episodes but then it overuses it's violence to the point of desensitivity. Shows like Higurashi spread it out it far better and balanced it a lot of happier moments. Not to mention shows like Higurashi did it it many different ways while Attack of Titan just had the one "grotesque" thing. I don't really consider it a grotesque show at all. And for fairness, I'll add that I wouldn't put AoT on any "must-watch" list because it's a pretty generic "mecha" show in the disguise of naked human flesh.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
Apparently Akira gets ranked at 25, Baccano! gets ranked at 30, Ninja Scroll at 37, Deadman Wonderland all the way down at 45. Hellsing's at 26 and Black Lagoon at 21 I think. Why do I feel like this list is missing the nauseating Violence Jack OVAs?
Must-watch, would you honestly call Violence Jack a must watch.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:19 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Codeanime93 wrote:
Must-watch, would you honestly call Violence Jack a must watch.

Well if you want to watch grotesque gore anime I think so, it is for extreme tastes only I guess. I wouldn't recommend it as a regular sit though because it's too nauseating as I said.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:27 pm Reply with quote
The most groesque thing about Tokyo Ghoul is its writing. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
The most groesque thing about Tokyo Ghoul is its writing. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

There's no Berserk on this list either, I mean the 1997 one pretty grotesque enough and heck Adult Swim refused to air it back when they got a chance, yeah I don't get Tokyo Ghoul's position on this list either.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:15 pm Reply with quote
It's really only Evil Town that gives Violence Jack its reputation. The other two OVAs are fairly unremarkable in that regard (Evil Town is pretty gross, though).

Pretty tame list, all things considered. Then again, it's got all the names you'd expect if picking the obvious TV anime choices...& Devilman (unless they're referring to the OVAs?).
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
It's really only Evil Town that gives Violence Jack its reputation. The other two OVAs are fairly unremarkable in that regard (Evil Town is pretty gross, though).

Pretty tame list, all things considered. Then again, it's got all the names you'd expect if picking the obvious TV anime choices...& Devilman (unless they're referring to the OVAs?).

The Hell's Wind one has that chainsaw bit. The first OVA is pretty grim stuff withspoiler[few people surviving it at all. ]
Heishi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Hm. Attack on Titan is a pretty weak choice. I'm surprised to see it. It's only grotesque in the first few episodes but then it overuses it's violence to the point of desensitivity. Shows like Higurashi spread it out it far better and balanced it a lot of happier moments. Not to mention shows like Higurashi did it it many different ways while Attack of Titan just had the one "grotesque" thing. I don't really consider it a grotesque show at all. And for fairness, I'll add that I wouldn't put AoT on any "must-watch" list because it's a pretty generic "mecha" show in the disguise of naked human flesh.

I would.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I feel like almost anything before 2000 got ignored. Lot of pretty gory shows from the 80's and 90's. Obvious classics like Akira or Ninja Scroll but if we're talking series Blue Gender comes to mind. Not to mention stuff like Hellsing, Genocyber, Vampire Hunter D, Mnemosyne, or Elfen Lied that could all easily be in the top 20.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

We get it, you hate thing.
Running Wild

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow this is a pretty weak list.

Where's Apocalypse Zero?
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Pretty solid list. I'm glad Shiki made it to the top 20. Vampire horror relying more on a creepy atmosphere than gore to be effective (although, it still has a lot of gore).
I definitely think Attack on Titan earned its place on the list, especially in season 2 spoiler[there's something about seeing a grown woman pleading and apologizing to her father like a child as she's eaten alive that's incredibly horrific *shivers*]
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

Couldn't have said it better, my friend. Ugh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2