• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Super NES Classic Edition

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:17 am Reply with quote
I wanted one of these.. then I stumbled across Retropie.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:26 am Reply with quote
I'm not a fan of paying for emulators but I do get a kick out of how much anger I see online over not being able to purchase this novelty piece of plastic as well as its predecessor.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:15 am Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
I wanted one of these.. then I stumbled across Retropie.

Such is the general state of affairs at present! If the Pi foundation had the motive or marketing resources, they could readily capitalise on the popularity of Nintendo's offering. Their device would, in principle, cater for anyone willing to obtain ROM images.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:27 am Reply with quote
I'd sure love to get my hands on one of these. I still have my old SNES which I paid $130 for brand spanking new at K-Mart, with games like SMW, SMW2, DKC and SMK. Boy those were the days.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
While the Super NES was a thorough technical improvement, it never dominated markets and childhoods the way the earlier NES did.

Are we talking about the same console here? The SNES occupied the biggest part of mine and many others' childhood, far more than the NES did, and I was born in the early 80s.

The selection is pretty decent with a lot of memorable titles I played the hell out of back in the day. Earthbound, Final Fantasy VI (let's stop calling it III at this point, we know which FF is III at this stage), Kirby Super Star, Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Mega Man X, Secret of Mana and the trio of Super Mario Kart, World and RPG.

If it were up to me, I'd have included Illusion of Gaia and both Lufia I and II. And as Todd stated, Terranigma as well since we would have finally gotten an official release here of it in a sense. Chrono Trigger's exclusion is indeed unusual since it's basically considered the pinnacle of the SNES era before the Nintendo 64's eventual release.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:57 am Reply with quote
I'd still rather see Donkey Kong Country 2 included over the original, as it refined the experience to an all-time masterpiece (that David Wise soundtrack!), and Chrono Trigger is sorely missed, but I'd still love to get my hands on one.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:11 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Quote:
While the Super NES was a thorough technical improvement, it never dominated markets and childhoods the way the earlier NES did.

Are we talking about the same console here? The SNES occupied the biggest part of mine and many others' childhood, far more than the NES did, and I was born in the early 80s.

I'm 100% positive that Todd was talking about market penetration with that line. The 8-bit generation was effectively a one system market in North America, with the NES absolutely trouncing the Sega Master System & Atari 7800 (though a major factor for that was due to Nintendo's draconian licensing demands [i.e. you can't publish on a competitor's console]). During that time, "Nintendo" stood for all video games, similar to how "Atari" meant the same in the 70s.

The 16-bit Console Wars, however, were much more even. As much as some people want to try to rewrite history & claim that Nintendo won from Day 1 of the SNES' release, the Sega Genesis did indeed take the lead for a good while, surpassing 50% of the market share during the first half of the 90s. As Todd points out in the review, the SNES pretty much took the lead (& eventually won out in the end) due to Donkey Kong Country, & combined with Sega of Japan forcing Sega of America to essentially stop supporting the Genesis once the Saturn saw release, while Nintendo supported the SNES very respectably until 1998, Nintendo wound up winning the war by playing the long game better. Still, during the 90s, both "Sega" & "Nintendo" stood for all video games, so the latter obviously didn't have the same kind of domination it had before.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It lacks the delightful graphics and rampant wit of successor RPGs like Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi, but Super Mario RPG has plenty to offer.

Heh, I remember living through the outcry and complaints when Paper Mario came out that it didn't have any backing from Square and was not essentially Super Mario RPG 2. As Paper Mario wasn't given a fair treatment when it came out and due to it being released shortly before the Gamecube came out, Nintendo quickly dropped trying to promote it and the game became one of the more expensive Nintendo 64 games in the used market.

Now I'm seeing people saying Paper Mario being so much better than Super Mario RPG ever was, with enough time having passed for both games to have equal standing in nostalgia.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I would like to see some more puzzle games on it... or any, really. Not good for a system that had the better Dr Mario, Tetris 2 and Panel de Pon. No, we're better off with Kirby's Dream Course, a title I couldn't get rid off fast enough.

Super Punch Out didn't have the replay value of the NES one, too many opponents that had only one way to beat them. I could never play F Zero after playing F Zero X, ditto with Mario Kart, Metroid and Zelda were fine if inferior to their stripped down NES versions.

How should I put it.... SNES Zelda now starts with the now common "prologue mission/tutorial disguised as part of the plot" opening that kills replay value while the NES plunks you down in the middle of the action with just a shield. Sure, there's a door with a sword but you don't have to take it....

Both Mario Worlds are excellent, the RPGs are great and Street Fighter II... The New Warriors Championship Turbo Edition... is street fighter. Wait, that's only on the Super Famicon version so this is just Turbo, my mistake. Sorry Cammy....

Super Ghouls and Ghosts and Super Castlevania? I never got into either of them, despite being a large NES Castlevania fan and someone who's attempted G + G more than once. Same goes for Mega Man X; The SNES versions of all these games never captured the pacing of the original NES games. Characters are too big and the graphics slows down the platforming action.

DKC... yeah, DKC comes off as a platforming demo for a game when compared to DKC 2. Everything is so simple that I beat the game the first time I played it. Cool music though. Graphics? OK, I guess? I always preferred sprites on the SNES as they come off smoother.

I've bought and sold Super Mario RPG several times while the system was new and I would get it again if the price was right. There was always something about that game's strangeness that appeals to me.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I'm not a fan of paying for emulators but I do get a kick out of how much anger I see online over not being able to purchase this novelty piece of plastic as well as its predecessor.

Even if someone made a little nostalgic plastic replica of a Sega Genesis, I would wonder why I shouldn't just buy the version that was already put on PS3/4 disk.

You'd think they could put at least TWICE as many old nostalgic SNES games on one average Wii disk, that normal people could play.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:49 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Now I'm seeing people saying Paper Mario being so much better than Super Mario RPG ever was, with enough time having passed for both games to have equal standing in nostalgia.

That's odd. I've only ever seen people put Thousand Year Door over SMRPG. Though this is mostly hardcore fans of the games and speedrunner opinions. I personally favor SMRPG over anything else similar that Nintendo has tried to push out.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
That's odd. I've only ever seen people put Thousand Year Door over SMRPG. Though this is mostly hardcore fans of the games and speedrunner opinions. I personally favor SMRPG over anything else similar that Nintendo has tried to push out.

Paper Mario was the first Mario RPG I had played; I didn't play Super Mario RPG until it came out on the Wii's Virtual Console. I was quite young during the 16-bit days and threw myself fully into SEGA's side in the Console Wars, so I never played any Super Nintendo games except for a small amount of Super Mario World at a family friend's house during Thanksgiving one year. Hence, I was pretty annoyed by the sour reception when Paper Mario came out that it wasn't Super Mario RPG 2, as if only Square could make a good Mario RPG. Of course, during then, the relationship between Nintendo and Square had reached a breaking point, and I think some of the hate directed at Paper Mario was actually directed at Nintendo because they dared try to make another Mario RPG without Square's support.

I do prefer A Thousand-Year Door, but the original Paper Mario is still a very good game in its own right and has aged pretty well.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:38 pm Reply with quote
...I like Kirby's Dream Course... ;_;
bones2039

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I managed to get one on release day. I like it, but don't love it. Already had 1/4 of the games on my Wii. Really the novelty of Star Fox 2 and the fact I walked in the store and was asked if I wanted one was what made me decide to pick it up. If I hadn't gotten one I wouldn't have been upset.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:56 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Paper Mario was the first Mario RPG I had played; I didn't play Super Mario RPG until it came out on the Wii's Virtual Console. I was quite young during the 16-bit days and threw myself fully into SEGA's side in the Console Wars, so I never played any Super Nintendo games except for a small amount of Super Mario World at a family friend's house during Thanksgiving one year. Hence, I was pretty annoyed by the sour reception when Paper Mario came out that it wasn't Super Mario RPG 2, as if only Square could make a good Mario RPG. Of course, during then, the relationship between Nintendo and Square had reached a breaking point, and I think some of the hate directed at Paper Mario was actually directed at Nintendo because they dared try to make another Mario RPG without Square's support.

I do prefer A Thousand-Year Door, but the original Paper Mario is still a very good game in its own right and has aged pretty well.
For me I never got into the Paper Mario games because they didn't have Mallow and Geno who were my favorite characters in the original. Ironically I now see a lot of hardcore Paper Mario fans complaining the newer games aren't as good as the ones they grew up with. Welcome to the life of a Super Mario RPG fan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2