• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Utena Stage Musical Reveals Cast, Main Visual

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kamui85

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:05 am Reply with quote
OMG they look amazing!!!! I didn't like the ones from the old musical at all lol --- but these! !!! wow
broodo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:35 am Reply with quote
They look like dolls. Especially Anthy.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Yuka Yamauchi's name links to the page for a background artist, is this the same woman?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I dread to imagine the effort required to keep those hairstyles in peak condition throughout the performance. Juri and Nanami's stylists will certainly be in for a challenge.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:10 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
I dread to imagine the effort required to keep those hairstyles in peak condition throughout the performance. Juri and Nanami's stylists will certainly be in for a challenge.

They were talking about keeping hairstyles consistent and in peak shape during the performance/dancing/singing numbers for the movie, "Gilda" in one of the documentaries produced by the Criterion Blu ray release of that movie.

They were so colossally complicated (and expensive) to pull off that that sort of things is rarely done in movies today. Musical performances on-film are as complicated as stuntwork.
It's literally stop, spritz/fix up the hair after wiping off the sweat, freshen up the make-up, maybe do a wardrobe change/change for a fresh, clean costume in case the costume got TOO dirty or torn during filming! The intense dancing and singing numbers had their gasps as a regular motion picture event in the 1960s and they do maybe a FEW memorable musicals every so many years now anymore but they're generally only celebrated in the motion picture industry. ("La La Land" anybody? It was a bigger hit at the awards ceremonies than it was ever was with the general public.) There are just very few musicals or movies with well-choreographed singing and dancing numbers that have been appreciated by the movie-going audience in the last 30 years. Most of the more memorable ones were done in the 1940s and 1950s through the early 1960s.

I think it was Scorsese or John Landis who was discussing the film since it was one of his (their?) favorites.

Very good film -- and very, very intense musical numbers. But that's what Rita Hayworth was known for in her heyday in the 1940s.

Getting back to Utena -- I thought the actresses in the photo looked great, especially the lady playing Utena.
It's only occasionally you'll see "crazy anime" colors work for hair and eye color/contact lenses. It definitely pops up well in this case, IMHO!
It's like cosplay -- there are very few people that really look good doing cosplay... It's a matter of body build, attitude, and the quality of the costume. If any of those things are lacking, it falls apart, and let's face it, most of us just do not look good in spandex!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1