• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Poster Children

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:58 pm Reply with quote
OK, if we’re limiting ourselves to posters (no cels, no wallscrolls), here are a few I’ve found.

This Castle of Cagliostro poster is obviously not from a theatrical release and is a much-later tie-in, as evidenced by the fact that Lupin never rides a Vespa in the film, and there’s a PlayStation logo at the bottom left, a console the film predates by about 15 years. Maybe this was some sort of game tie-in? Whatever, it has Lupin and Clarisse, I’m happy. (Oh, also spoilers for the last 5 minutes of Castle of Cagliostro, I guess)

https://i.imgur.com/2Xxomcr.jpg

I got that Lupin poster at Anime Weekend Atlanta back in the 90s (it has made several moves) along with this Galaxy Express 999 poster. All the copies had the same signature, so I don’t think it’s a unique autograph, just a mass-production thing. Still, Maetel remains Best Woman after all these years.

https://i.imgur.com/qilbg9y.jpg

Finally, for something a little newer… Wake Up, Girls! made their first US appearance at Anime Central 2014, and Crunchyroll Premium members got the first 200 spots in line for autographs. I think I was like #16. @kevo, who will be presenting a WUG! panel with me at this year’s ACen, wasn’t into them back then, and now that he is, he keeps threatening to break into my house and steal it, possibly murdering me in the process to ensure I don’t just steal it back.

https://i.imgur.com/CmzMscZ.jpg

[Edit]: I've changed your img tabs to url tabs due to the size. Errinundra.
explosionforgov

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:22 pm Reply with quote
All of my posters are freebies from conventions. I'd put them up on my wall with some kind of sticky tack, but the texture of the paint on my wall doesn't really like the sticky tack, and posters always fall down within minutes. (Some suggestions would be appreciated.)

I do, however, have a small accidental collection of left-to-right manga floppies, given to me by people who were getting rid of them and knew I read manga. I have the first four issues of the Cowboy Bebop manga (which is odd and very different compared to the anime), and this recently-acquired issue of Fist of The North Star, a series I really need to get more into:

https://i.imgur.com/Q2kTwry.jpg

[Edit]: ditto.
Neohybrid_kai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:01 am Reply with quote
I'm more of a figure collector person because I have on/off mood whether I want my wall looks clean or looks like an otaku den but I finally settled with having few posters selected and framed.

Not a poster but definitely one of my most treasured item. A4 sized prints signed by Toshio Maeda himself, I met him during my trip to Japan. One of the best moment in life.

A fanmade poster bought in one of the artist alley during local doujin convention. Even though it is a work by amateur but the picture left a deep impression I decided to frame it.

Another not an official poster. I thought I need one big poster (somewhere around A1 size) in my room so I print this one at local print shop then framed it.
Denys Lalande

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:57 am Reply with quote
Sadly, I have no posters -- however, I am now wondering if _Sindbad the Sailor_ is the source material for the ride at Tokyo DisneySea "Sinbad's Storybook Voyage".

(And now I have that firk-ding-blasting song stuck in my head again....)
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:45 am Reply with quote
I have dozens unframed and stored in rolling tubes in a dry room.(It might be an addiction.) I am too broke to frame most of them and I don't have enough wall space at the moment. Sad

-Several signed Kickstarters (Escaflowne with Shoji Kawamori/Kazuki Akane/Nobuteru Yuki, Skip Beat! English Dub, MSTK3000 Return Cast).
-I have K-ON signed by two of dub leading ladies (One from that short period where ANN promoted Stephanie Sheh) and another I had signed in person at another convention.
-I do have three of my favorites framed: My third, a Super Milk Chan poster I picked up second hand; my second, a Noein poster from Manga Entertainment; and my absolute number one fav, my 'Ask About Anime' Iria poster from CPM.

I also have a nine foot tall promotional poster from Davis Kidd of Miho and Ping from Megatokyo. How the hell to frame that is still beyond me. Confused
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:42 pm Reply with quote
It's funny how the Rock & Valiente poster has a signature in the top left corner that looks suspiciously like Walt Disney's (I guess World Wide is the distributor)
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I don't have any anime posters... But I do have something I want to own and eventually hang, a properly calligraphed copy of the Five Tenets of the Hero Club (from the original Yuuki Yuuna).

Not gonna be cheap, and I'm going to need a knowledgeable contact on the ground in Japan...
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:21 am Reply with quote
I'd recognize Little Prince and the 8-Headed Dragon anywhere; I saw the English dub air on TV many years ago. I just can't remember which channel and when exactly.
Otaku-sempai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:33 am Reply with quote
Reading the essay, I kept looking for reference to Pinocchio in Outer Space from 1965; then I looked it up only to realize the the film (which I haven't seen in literally decades) was not a Japanese anime. I had no idea that it was actually a Belgian-American production.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1