• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lupin III Part 5 Anime Posts Opening Sequence, Episode 1 Intro

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:19 am Reply with quote
That opening sequence is brilliant!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:39 am Reply with quote
It's not bad, at least it is creative, but Part 4s looked a lot better, this has that Adobe Flash look to it.
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:20 am Reply with quote
I love the look of this OP and how stylized it looks. It took a few times watching it to get past the junky animation, but now I find it charming. And there are lots of cute character details in it, like Goemon waking up in the backseat of the Fiat while the characters are in space.
Maciste

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:41 am Reply with quote
Looks great, imo.

Quick question:
Is this a another Lupin stand alone series, so I can just jump in without any knowledge of the previous installment (Lupin IV)?
Or is this some sorta continuation?
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:46 am Reply with quote
That was amazing! I love how unexpectedly stylized it is, it really fits the vibe of the series and characters. It might even be better than part 4's if I give it some more time to familiarize itself to me.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:23 am Reply with quote
Maciste wrote:
Looks great, imo.

Quick question:
Is this a another Lupin stand alone series, so I can just jump in without any knowledge of the previous installment (Lupin IV)?

Tradition leads me to be confident in saying yes, it is standalone. But a small part of me wonders whether they might reference part 4 or bring back some of its characters due to the very similar style.
Rhys2753

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:24 am Reply with quote
Maciste wrote:
Looks great, imo.

Quick question:

unless they drop in some characters from part 4 you should be ok to just jump in. If they do throw in those characters, they'll probably throw in context conversations to help.
MrSatyre

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:34 am Reply with quote
That definitely doesn't work for me. The style doesn't have the same aesthetic as Lupins past. Looks almost alien. Nope. Nope. Nope.
Maciste

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:18 pm Reply with quote
@Jayhosh
@Rhys2753

Thought so.
Thanks.
SolHerald

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Totally digging the style. Is the animation quality as fluid and pristine as Part IV OP? No. but, I think it makes up for that with charm and creativity. And, I honestly laughed during the scene where Zenigata pops his head into the camera's view, I can't recall when (if ever) an OP made me laugh.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:45 pm Reply with quote
MrSatyre wrote:
That definitely doesn't work for me. The style doesn't have the same aesthetic as Lupins past. Looks almost alien. Nope. Nope. Nope.

If you think this looks weird you really need to rewatch both versions of Part 3's intro.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Lupin III, Part 3 was an exceptionally UGLY-looking series and that's saying something for a Lupin anime!

The Lupin III series has never had the most aesthetically-pleasing character designs but Part 3 and Legend of Gold of Babylon feature film had exceptionally ugly character designs.

This Part 5 animation intro definitely goes against the general grain for anime intros. Usually, the best animation you'll EVER see in an animated series IS the opening animation sequence! Laughing

The Ranma 1/2 series was famous for the "music video" openings for all the batches of TV episodes. That's by far the best animation that series had until the second film and OVA follow-ups.

I'm kind of surprised by the flash look of the intro for this new Lupin III series. I hope the actual story animation doesn't look like this! I've never cared for the look of "Flash animation" myself.
Well, we'll see what happens. They haven't even sold the Fourth series on home video in North America yet but TMS put the assinine rider in the licensing that the English dub had to be separated from the subtitled release and have a different music track than the Japanese release.
It's like TMS is deliberately trying to keep Lupin III from selling in the States and it's never been a hugely popular series over here.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:53 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
Lupin III, Part 3 was an exceptionally UGLY-looking series and that's saying something for a Lupin anime!

The Lupin III series has never had the most aesthetically-pleasing character designs but Part 3 and Legend of Gold of Babylon feature film had exceptionally ugly character designs.

This Part 5 animation intro definitely goes against the general grain for anime intros. Usually, the best animation you'll EVER see in an animated series IS the opening animation sequence! Laughing

I'm kind of surprised by the flash look of the intro for this new Lupin III series. I hope the actual story animation doesn't look like this! I've never cared for the look of "Flash animation" myself.

This offends me on a spiritual level. The animation in Part 3 was not bad at all. It was very stylized and had a great sense of movement and expression to it. And I love Monkey Punch's designs. They're iconic and unique, they've always stood out in a good way from a lot of other anime designs. They're not "ugly," they're just less "cutesy." Also, if you don't think that Fujiko is the most "aesthetically pleasing" anime character out there then gtfo of my face.

If you've watched any other pv for this series you'd know its not going to be in this style (not that I wouldn't actually kinda dig that).
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Just based on what I know of the Animation scene in France via Wakfu, I wouldn't be surprised if this was done in the style of current French cartoons as a nod to the countries animation scene given the way the previous series aired in Italy first.

I hope the season has more in common with Part IV for the actual series part, but having this as the opening for the series is pretty great. Lupin III has been around forever, so they might as well do something new and unique with new entries.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:44 am Reply with quote
Flash animation. And any true Frenchman would smoke Galloise. Seriously, Flash in a Nipponese cartoon? What is the world coming to?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2