• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Voice Actor Yuichiro Umehara Hospitalized Due to Autoimmune Disease

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WANNFH

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Damn, that's tough sickness, and right on the peak of his seiyuu career. Hope for Umehara-san recovery as much sooner as possible.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Possibly my favourite voice actor right now. Been following him since he voiced Wakasa in OreFuro. Crying or Very sad Rest well, sir.

EDIT: Is his disease serious? Can he make a positive recovery? Crying or Very sad

Last edited by phoenixalia on Thu May 10, 2018 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:56 pm Reply with quote
So are they going to have an actor replace him for the remaining episodes in his ongoing shows or are they going to have production problems/delays?

Last edited by Kruszer on Thu May 10, 2018 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
harminia

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:08 am Reply with quote
I hope he takes all the time he needs and doesn't like chuck himself back in the deep end.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:23 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
So are they going to have an actor replace him for the remaining episodes in his ongoing shows?
No, that will not gonna happen - anime episodes doesn't made in one week, so his job on the current ongoing shows should be already done before his hospitalization.

But replacement for future series with which he's affiliated, like Goblin Slayer, is inevitable - and that's a sad thing.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:11 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
No, that will not gonna happen - anime episodes doesn't made in one week, so his job on the current ongoing shows should be already done before his hospitalization.

I'm pretty sure they often aren't finished until close to the air date, especially as the season progresses.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:31 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
WANNFH wrote:

I'm pretty sure they often aren't finished until close to the air date, especially as the season progresses.

But the whole process doesn't happen at once. Voice acting is usually finished first, it seems. Last Spring, Yoshimasa Hosoya announced his hiatus in week 4 of the season, at which point he had already finished recording StarMyu and Attack on Titan.

Of course, that was different. That was planned.

According to Wikipedia, Umehara's condition has a 50-75% rate of total recovery, so he will likely return at some point.

Quote:
The Tsukino Talent Production Staff stated that Umehara's recovery is the first priority, and that the staff is discussing with Arts Vision about Umehara's planned apppearance at the Tsukipro Live 2018 Summer Carnival event on June 17.

This is hopeful. The fact that the possibility is even being discussed seems like a good sign for his recovery, with the concert in just over a month.
... their music, especially his unit SolidS, is so energetic and complex, that if this is really still on the table for him, that's a really good sign, but at the same time, I hope they aren't pushing him into it too fast. I don't know what they'd do without him, though...

..... I really hope he makes a full recovery, he's really great.

Information point: He hasn't tweeted in ~12 days (though it seems he usually just retweets things about his roles and appearances, and such a break isn't unusual for him) and none of the news releases say how long he's been in the hospital, so it could be that they've held off on releasing news until they knew something for certain... which is also a good sign. Seems it would mean they know what's going on...

Last edited by #861208 on Thu May 10, 2018 1:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:34 am Reply with quote
I hope he has a swift recovery with minimal complications. From what I understand that condition does have a very minimal mortality rate and a high recovery rate, although in many cases lasting issues of varying severity may occur. There is a reasonable percentage of those that do make a complete recovery so it's far more of a hopeful situation than some I've seen. heck, I've personally survived a health crisis with much lower odds than that, with existing health issues lowering them further, and with only minor lasting issues from it.
atbiotyk

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:51 am Reply with quote
Some info from a medical library:

"PROGNOSIS — Compared with ADEM in children, the available studies suggest that the clinical course is more severe and outcome is less favorable in adults with ADEM [15,48]. Nevertheless, most patients improve with treatment, and spontaneous recovery has occurred in patients with mild symptoms [46]. Complete recovery has been reported in 10 to 46 percent of adult patients [15,18,21]. Cognitive impairment, mostly affecting attention and concentration, has persisted in some. Death may occur, especially in those with fulminant disease, with mortality rates of 4 to 12 percent reported in larger modern series [15,18,46]. In a series of 20 patients with ADEM admitted to the intensive care unit, the mortality rate was 25 percent [20]. Thirty-five percent of survivors in this series were left with permanent disability."

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:00 am Reply with quote
atbiotyk wrote:
Some info from a medical library:

"PROGNOSIS — Compared with ADEM in children, the available studies suggest that the clinical course is more severe and outcome is less favorable in adults with ADEM [15,48]. Nevertheless, most patients improve with treatment, and spontaneous recovery has occurred in patients with mild symptoms [46]. Complete recovery has been reported in 10 to 46 percent of adult patients [15,18,21]. Cognitive impairment, mostly affecting attention and concentration, has persisted in some. Death may occur, especially in those with fulminant disease, with mortality rates of 4 to 12 percent reported in larger modern series [15,18,46]. In a series of 20 patients with ADEM admitted to the intensive care unit, the mortality rate was 25 percent [20]. Thirty-five percent of survivors in this series were left with permanent disability."

He's 27. That doesn't make him a child, but that also means he has a better chance than someone in their 40's or 50's.

His agency's statement makes it seem like he will recover and return to work at some point, likely soon. True that they might be just saying that, but...
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:30 am Reply with quote
Oh, no! Just when he's at the top of his career, life can strikes us at a worse possible times. I sincerely hope Umehara takes all the time in the world to make a full recovery and back stronger ever.

Also, a big thanks to atbiotyk for offering valuable information on the disease.
Shuichi

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:51 am Reply with quote
I remember one of Honey And Clover's voice actors (Hiroshi Kamiya) being in the hospital due to a car accident or something like that, so they had to replace him for the last episode of the second season on TV. For the DVD version, he was already doing better, so he was able to record the episode. I'm just saying that this is a possibility too.

Speaking about Yuichiro, I hope he gets better soon.
Zeino

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:11 am Reply with quote
What absolutely terrible luck to be stricken with such a disease now just as his career is really taking off. Echoing the sentiments that Umehara-san gets better soon without any complications or this becoming a recurring health problem.

As for his current roles, New Galactic Heroes should be fine as it's half way finished already. (sequals on the other hand...) Darling in The Franxx might be in trouble though.
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:55 am Reply with quote
I don't think I'm familiar with any of the roles in that article...

Still, hope he makes a full recovery.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:15 am Reply with quote
Wishing Umehara a speedy recovery.

SilverTalon01 wrote:

It depends on the length of the series as well as the production itself, but sometimes they can finish recording a series even before it starts airing on TV. It's all a case-by-case basis though so it's hard to generalize. If there are only a small handful of episodes left in the broadcast then it's very possible that they could be finished with voice recording, but if it's a series that just started this season, unless it's a production like I mentioned above where they finish recording before broadcast of the first episode, then it's likely he'll have to be replaced for the remaining episodes.

Doesn't apply in this situation, but if, for example, a few episodes were recorded and someone fell ill but it's before the beginning of the broadcast, then there is also the option to recast the character and re-record that character's lines. This way no one would even know someone else was supposed to voice the character (unless it were already announced).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2