• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Trickster Part 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SonicFanA

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 11:40 am Reply with quote
Thank you for reviewing Trickster. I enjoyed the show and have it on my list to buy. I do think some of the background art looked good.
I am disappointed that the off model shots were not corrected on the DVD and Blu-ray. Also that it did not include the two prequel OVAs.
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Is Aniplex seriously rereleasing the first season of Oreimo for $160?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Monster Rancher: I much prefer Monster Rancher in English, so a dub only Blu-ray release doesn't bother me in the slightest. It had a pretty solid dub for its time and it still holds up fairly well today. I know the ending was supposed to imply spoiler[the monster world attained true peace, but it's weird that we're supposed to accept that result when Genki just suddenly get tossed back to real world Earth, especially since the final battle with Mu didn't exactly have a visible conclusion]. I just feel like there should have been more to it than that, though perhaps we're expected to believe spoiler[everything is okay] since Monster Rancher is supposed to be just a video game. Still doesn't explain what happened to Genki's copy of said game though.

Star Ocean EX: This is actually an anime not really based on its game of origin, more like the awkward manga of the same name, which retold the events of Star Ocean 2 in ways I don't understand. Far too much stuff got changed from the game for my liking and the whole thing ends up tanking belly up into a major disappointment. I was especially annoyed that Rena was made into such a helpless weakling when everyone knows she can kick ass. Thankfully, no second half was made so we didn't have to see how terribly they could have screwed up the Energy Nede arc. I can't believe I watched this entire thing, but at least I can always play the real Star Ocean 2 to cleanse the palate. About the only thing EX had going for it is the opening song, To the Light.

Tokyo Underground: Tokyo Underground has some things going for it, but it might be too early-2000s for some people. When I first watched it, I half-seriously thought to myself, "It's a fairly decent plot, wonder it would be like if they added spoiler[dragons] to it." The funny thing is, spoiler[dragons (or rather ron)] did end up becoming part of the main story, and that got my younger self really amped up to find out what they would look like. Unfortunately, the whole spoiler[dragons coming into our world plot] ends up sorely underused and ultimately dismissed pretty easily. It does have one of my favorite Japanese VAs, despite I watched it entirely in English.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:06 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Is Aniplex seriously rereleasing the first season of Oreimo for $160?

Ok, you beat me to it. I was expecting more of a "we've milked this for long enough so let's drop the price a bit" like they did with Madoka… ok, that was 10 dollars cheaper so with inflation, it may be the same price or maybe they decided the bonus OVA episodes would be a bargain since they only add ten dollars to the price, three dollars an episode versus ten dollars... still averaging out to an MSRP of ten dollars an episode... odd...

Wait, Madoka's dubbed.... well, f***.
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I thought Trickster was fun. Not great, but it was worth a watch. I really love Gackt, so he made it a more enjoyable experience for me, both through his voice acting and his OP and ED.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:51 am Reply with quote
Terrible show IMO. Wasted so many episodes on the "mystery" of MC's invincibility powers only to do "Oh, he just got them one day, lol". Also, the guy in a wheelchair that didn't actually NEED the wheel chair? How long does it take to build one goddamn leg? Also the hacker girl who was 1 dimensional was a waste. They literally only had her there for some light fanservice. Terrible show.
54bubbles
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Trickster was fun. With Akechi (CV: Daisuke Ono) and Inoue (CV: Yuuichirou Umehara), a decent plot twist with openings for continuation, and some gorgeous color direction... It was all good. Occasionally listening to Azusa Tadokoro's ED "1HOPE SNIPER" keeps it memorable, too.
SailorPluto1313

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:47 am Reply with quote
I absolutely loved Trickster! Part 2 was definitely better and it was refreshing for someone to review the show and not just point out the flaws. I mean sure it may not have been everyone's cup of tea, but there are some like me who really enjoyed it! I can say it was a pretty entertaining anime!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1