• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Atsuo Ueda Launches Fairy Tail Sequel Manga on July 25

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:32 am Reply with quote
{Edit}: Pointless flamebait post removed. ~ Psycho 101
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:44 am Reply with quote
^^

Did the original end poorly or something?
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:02 am Reply with quote
Chaos Wings wrote:
^^

The story was consistent throughout. The problem is that "power of friendship" is a thing and people don't like that, so when it shows it's head a bit more than it should, people jump the boat.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:50 am Reply with quote
Chaos Wings wrote:
^^

The series was fun but after the timeskip it just had poor storytelling and every fight started to feel really cheap and bland.

Of course the most common complaint throughout the series is that every character pulls an asspull from a fight through the power of friendship and the author DID IT CONSTANTLY.

It was a shame to see a series start off so well and just became a pile of garbage by the end. The ending was lame as well.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:54 am Reply with quote
Chaos Wings wrote:
^^

It started off bland, yet entertaining, but got gradually stupider as it went on. I think after the Magic Games arc, (or rather, toward the end of it) the quality took a nosedive and kept going further and further down. Many diehard fans admit that the later parts of Fairy Tail are idiotic, and if you ask me, Fairy Tail at its best is still worse than Bleach at its lowest.
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:02 pm Reply with quote
[louis6578] [Soulwarfare] [AksaraKishou]

Thanks for the responses guys, tbh I've only watched the anime and never read the manga. I liked everything up to and including most of the Grand Magic Games ark, my favourite being the Tenrou Island ark. But when the show came back with 'Season 2' I felt that the magic had been lost (pun possibly intended).

I didn't mind the 'power of friendship' thing in the early episodes, it made sense. We were just getting to know the cast and finding out how strong their bonds were as a guild. But by the time the Tartaros ark came around it was getting silly and was used to pull so many ass-hat victories. spoiler[Erza's fight against Kyōka was a step too far for me, there's literally no way she could have won that fight considering how debilitated she was].

I was hoping the next time skip might have breathed new life into the story, but if the manga continued to get sillier then I might avoid 'Season 3' when it eventually comes out.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:10 pm Reply with quote
If I'm being honest, the Tenroujima arc is the best part of the series, even with a lot of the issues it has. I mean, there's actually a part where Natsu is fighting a character with abilities that are explicitly stated to be superior to his, and incapable of being consumed by Natsu, and Natsu eats his flames anyway because he... emptied his own magic before doing so? Huh!? What sense does that make!?

But seriously, Tenroujima was where the series was at its strongest. I think that if the anime should have ended anywhere, it was here. What sense was there in stopping midway through an arc? By the time the anime came back, I was already caught up with the manga and ready to drop it due to a lot of horrible writing decisions. Let me put it this way...

The second that dragons from the past were flying around and one of them spoiler[killed Gray,] I knew that some time travel BS was going to retcon the fact that this character ever died. When it happened, it was so predictable, lifeless, and without a twist on the assumed direction of the series that I stopped reading for months, and only finished later out of morbid curiosity.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Chaos Wings wrote:
I was hoping the next time skip might have breathed new life into the story, but if the manga continued to get sillier then I might avoid 'Season 3' when it eventually comes out.

It really depends on what you're looking for with the series. Pretty much everything after Tartaros happens in service of advancing particularly popular character pairings, and every conflict ultimately comes down to who is more determined / whose bonds of friendship are stronger, instead of who is more powerful / more strategic / less fatigued. It's very clear, though, that the author made a conscious choice to value the segment of the fanbase who were invested in the character shipping, rather than the segment of the fanbase who were actually interested in anything other than a by-the-numbers story.

There's also the art to consider: after Tartaros it continues to become increasingly lewd and fanservice-y, to the point where I like it even though I generally avoid fanservice titles, just because of how brazen and ridiculous it becomes. A lot of people don't like the art, but even though I don't want all anime to look like Fairy Tail, I'm glad that Fairy Tail looks like Fairy Tail.

By the end, Fairy Tail never really aspires to be anything other than a generic fanservice-y shonen title, and I think it's this shamelessness that attracts rather than repels people who have been reading these sorts of stories for decades: if you go into the story without the illusion that it's going to somehow re-invent the wheel, then I think it can end up being a pretty enjoyable comic equivalent to a Hollywood summer popcorn flick.
Enturax

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:34 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

Fairy Tail at its best is still worse than Bleach at its lowest.

Wow, it can't be THAT bad, can it? I mean, Bleach was nearly hitting the ground of DBS Anime with its last chapters!
MeliodasWarrior

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to this sequel manga, it could be better than Hiro Mashima's work with a different artist drawing the manga, and a secret project? It's either another Fairy Tail movie or a Fairy Tail Console game in the works.......
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Enturax wrote:
louis6578 wrote:

Fairy Tail at its best is still worse than Bleach at its lowest.

Wow, it can't be THAT bad, can it? I mean, Bleach was nearly hitting the ground of DBS Anime with its last chapters!

So, to be fair, I'm referring purely to my experiences with each series. To which, I mean the first 174 episodes of the Fairy Tail anime vs Bleach's anime up until Aizen's defeat. Sadly, I stopped both around those points, and only went a bit further in Fairy Tail's manga. Perhaps I'm not the best judge, but I was more entertained by Bleach by a longshot.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Chaos Wings wrote:
[louis6578] [Soulwarfare] [AksaraKishou]

Thanks for the responses guys, tbh I've only watched the anime and never read the manga. I liked everything up to and including most of the Grand Magic Games ark, my favourite being the Tenrou Island ark. But when the show came back with 'Season 2' I felt that the magic had been lost (pun possibly intended).

I didn't mind the 'power of friendship' thing in the early episodes, it made sense. We were just getting to know the cast and finding out how strong their bonds were as a guild. But by the time the Tartaros ark came around it was getting silly and was used to pull so many ass-hat victories. spoiler[Erza's fight against Kyōka was a step too far for me, there's literally no way she could have won that fight considering how debilitated she was].

spoiler[Oh, then you're NOT gonna like what Erza does in her final one-on-one fight. Then again, there's a certain revelation about her birth in the manga that I wholeheartedly believe explains exactly why her feats of strength are so ridiculous, and even kind of redeems all of her absurd moments in my eyes, including the Kyoka fight...but it's not something everyone agrees on.]

Anyway, after 11 whole months of planning Edens Zero following a pretty clunky Fairy Tail finale, Hiro looks like he may have actually gotten his head back in the game. Keep in mind, EZ has a ton more "winks" to Fairy Tail than many readers are comfortable with, but FT also had just as many winks to Hiro's first manga, Rave Master (let's just say it's not the first time the likes of Plue and Jellal have appeared).

Or you could switch to Rave, which...I'm gonna be honest, actually gave me a bit of context to Hiro's storytelling techniques that helped make some of the iffier things in FT's finale make more sense, so I'm not nearly as upset about it now as I was before.
-SP-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I see mods are deleting posts even if they are questions about the manga, great...
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:07 pm Reply with quote
This is interesting, but I think it would have been better off with someone else doing the story rather than the. Honestly, this sequel should be like Boruto with limited contributions from Mashima. His time should be focused on Eden's Zero not on all this FT spin-offs.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:53 pm Reply with quote
What I want for the sequel:
spoiler[1) Lucy's quest to find Aquarius' key. Seriously, that's the #1 thing that I disliked about the finale: we had no conclusion to that part of the story, and I REALLY want to see it!
2) At least one shot of Levy with her cute pregnant belly. Bonus if we see a hint of a wedding for her and Gajeel as well, but I just want to see cute pregnant Levy!]

I'll be looking forward to reading this regardless though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2