• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2018 Pokémon Film's New Visual by Yoshitoshi Shinomiya, 4 New Commercials Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:47 am Reply with quote
I would love to see Charles Martinet play the voice role of Mayor Oliver or whatever the Western name of Kagachi might be in the eventual English dub. Love his Mario and Luigi voices, but it's good to get out of your comfort zone every once in a while. Besides, I don't think Martinet has done anything for Pokémon yet.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:09 am Reply with quote
I have to say that new visual looks STUNNING! You can really get yourself lost in it just by looking at it.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:19 am Reply with quote
The art looks FANTASTIC.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:41 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I have to say that new visual looks STUNNING! You can really get yourself lost in it just by looking at it.

Just makes me miss XY even more.
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:52 am Reply with quote
I hope this would be released in both Sub and Dub versions....by using the original Japanese character names and the original Japanese BGM...Agreed?
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

Just makes me miss XY even more.

I'm sure they'll go to a style similar to XY when Sun & Moon ends. After all, the Yo-kai Watch anime which the latter was trying to copy isn't that popular in Japan anymore, and it has never been successful in the US (which is sad, because I love the concepts of both the Yo-kai Watch game and anime).
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:49 pm Reply with quote
michaeltanzer wrote:
I hope this would be released in both Sub and Dub versions....by using the original Japanese character names and the original Japanese BGM...Agreed?

There will never be an official subbed release.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:35 pm Reply with quote
michaeltanzer wrote:

Never going to happen. Anime dubs are one of the few times whitewashing and cultural erasure is considered okay, and they're not about to squander that opportunity.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:15 pm Reply with quote
michaeltanzer wrote:

Why would they do that? It's still first and foremost a kids' show.
megazero

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:32 am Reply with quote
Still not used to the latest iteration of Ash (Satoshi).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:58 am Reply with quote
This is prehaps the most amazing stunning visual i've ever seen. It reminds me of that of an XY style, but Ash's face looks more cuter than the old one. His eyes are pretty the cutest thing i've ever seen.

(sorry for my poor English)
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
michaeltanzer wrote:

Never going to happen. Anime dubs are one of the few times whitewashing and cultural erasure is considered okay, and they're not about to squander that opportunity.

Or maybe let Funimation license the movie in both Dub and Sub versions, but with the original Japanese character names and the original Japanese BGM instead. Right?
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:56 pm Reply with quote
michaeltanzer wrote:
Chester McCool wrote:
michaeltanzer wrote:

Or maybe let Funimation license the movie in both Dub and Sub versions, but with the original Japanese character names and the original Japanese BGM instead. Right?

Are you living in fantasy land?

1. Funimation would never be interested in a children's anime.

2. I would love to see a subbed version available at one point, but at least I live in the real world. Not a lot of kids know Japanese yet, and that's why there hasn't been a subbed version of Pokémon for years in English-speaking countries.

3. It already has licensors... Nintendo and The Pokémon Company. That's not gonna change anytime soon.

I hate to sound like such an ass, but I'm just stating reality here.
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:51 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
michaeltanzer wrote:
Chester McCool wrote:
michaeltanzer wrote:

Are you living in fantasy land?

1. Funimation would never be interested in a children's anime.

2. I would love to see a subbed version available at one point, but at least I live in the real world. Not a lot of kids know Japanese yet, and that's why there hasn't been a subbed version of Pokémon for years in English-speaking countries.

3. It already has licensors... Nintendo and The Pokémon Company. That's not gonna change anytime soon.

I hate to sound like such an ass, but I'm just stating reality here.

Personally, I do NOT live in fantasy land and to be honest, I think Funimation should be interested in licensing and dubbing Pokemon like they did it with Shin chan and Sgt Frog.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1