• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Future GPX Cyber Formula Gets New 'Official, Authorized' Dōjin Game

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Cyber Formula stuff is good.

So it's now official. Surprised
#alfrescoCR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:12 pm Reply with quote
i Think this should persuade SUNRISE to make new GPX cyber 4mula anime.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:17 pm Reply with quote
#alfrescoCR wrote:
i Think this should persuade SUNRISE to make new GPX cyber 4mula anime.

For a second I thought this WAS a new Cyber Formula anime and got really excited.

This would be the perfect kind of show for them to get real companies to sponsor just like they did Tiger & Bunny too.
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Man it's really good to see new Cyber Formula stuff, even though SUNRISE has effectively left it up to YNP as of late to continue the series with their games.

If you're unfamiliar with Cyber Formula it's a series about futuristic Formula One -style racing that first aired in 1991 on TV. Basically systems called Cyber Systems power cars that help the drivers obtain crazy high speeds. With this they also have special abilities with their cars (which evolve over the series), and of primary focus early on is the relationship of MC Kazami Hayato with his cyber system Asurada, and challenges they have to overcome.

The first 37 episode season was very Speed Racer -esque in style and featured a lot of crazy antics that made you feel like you were watching a modern Speed Racer. Starting with the second season, Double One, the series moved to an OVA, and with updated production it got more serious into the actual racing aspects of the series and dropped a lot of the crazier antics of the first season. Following that there were three more OVA series, Zero, Saga, and Sin. The final OVA Sin did a fairly good job of wrapping up loose ends, and if you're into the type of stories where you see the characters grow this is a good example of that.

The first game was actually on the Super Famicom and released in the US as "Cyber Spin" by Takara (Takara handled most of the product rights throughout Cyber Formula's hey-day). All of the references to Cyber Formula were removed from the US release, effectively stripping the game of what it was. The first "gaiden" -style game was next released on the PS1, which featured an alternate timeline. Following that SUNRISE produced four games on the PS2 and one on the PSP. Each progressively added more features of all the various seasons including effectively the ability to play through all five seasons of the show and little easter eggs from prior games (including the ability to play as characters introduced in the side-story). Eventually as the article states YNP started creating fan-made Cyber Formula games, with SUNRISE eventually granting official rights to them.

Cyber Formula was very much a product of it's day as Formula One was very popular in the early 90s' in Japan. It also came during the dying era of more "analog" cars, when actual Formula One cars started to become more technologically advanced (such as with active suspensions and electronically controlled gear boxes), so it's futuristic storyline was not completely out of place. It never seemed to penetrate the US market until well after it finished up, but it was very popular all over Asia. Many VAs whom worked on Cyber Formula also went on to do other big roles or had this as their break-out role. In particular Kotono Mitsuishi, who voices Sugo Asuka, had Cyber Formula as one of her first roles and would go on to voice notable roles as Usagi in the later Sailor Moon series (including the recent Crystal series), Misato from NGE, and Excel from Excel Saga, just to name a few of the utterly dozens of roles she's had.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1