• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: FLCL Alternative

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy the animation of the new FLCL series, but I'm not that much into the script.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:11 pm Reply with quote
This already has an advantage over Progressive in giving the main female protagonist a likable friend group.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:25 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
This already has an advantage over Progressive in giving the main female protagonist a likable friend group.

I second that. It's especially good that her friends share a good chunk of screentime with Kana, rather than appearing every once in a while to chat with her. Naoto and Hidomi's classmates felt like window dressing a lot of the time and they were there so that the protagonist had someone to talk to (in Naoto's case) or discussed something fairly relevant in each scene (in Hidomi's case, since she wasn't exactly that social).

Also, Erica Lindbeck as Hijiri.
Lizuka

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Not watched the dub yet, but I watched the sub of this one ages ago and rather enjoyed it. I love Progressive so will definitely be paying attention to Alternative.
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:13 am Reply with quote
Kana and her friends are an immense improvement over Hidomi due to the simple fact that they behave like normal teenage girls and not a unemotional if moe cipher who's deal we have to figure out. This series so far reminds me a lot more of the original show than Progressive did, both visually and tonally. Especially Kana narrating the episodes like Naota did. These are hopeful signs that Alternative may turn out to be the better sequel.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Kanna's fish-face in that thumbnail. Laughing

This episode was solid. The animation production being more consistant than Progressive really does help.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Women are from Mars and men from Venus.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Though I suppose that itself could be a dig at the overblown special effects of the Transformers films (and if it isn't, then Haruko's cry of 'Michael Bay!' as she smashed the 'bot with a kebab definitely was).

Honestly I couldn't make out what she was saying during her kebab smash. Now it makes sense.

luffypirate wrote:
Women are from Mars and men from Venus.

Don't forget the rest of Haruko's rhyme. Kari must have had so much fun with that one. XD
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:10 am Reply with quote
I look forward to watching the sub version when it comes out, to see if those lines were present in the Japanese or if they were added for the dub.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:45 am Reply with quote
Holy shit, I enjoyed Progressive enough but this is another level, man. But in a totally different way.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:13 am Reply with quote
Episode 3: I don't know about anyone else, but I think it was awesome to hear Kari Wahlgren rap out of the blue like that. Kari-D in the house! XD

As for the episode's actual point it was going for, I really liked how the spotlight was given to Mossan and showing her very real struggle with trying to achieve her dream, including how she dealt with spoiler[disappointment at not winning the fashion show]. Honestly, she's the most more mature and responsible girl in the group.

Incidentally, Mossan's tale reminded me of an acquaintance who actually burned himself out in a similar way, working part time and attending classes in their senior year at high school because he was hellbent on making it as a psychologist after college. I really don't recall what happened to him anymore, but I hope he was able to achieve his dream.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:39 pm Reply with quote
What's with the bilingual puns in the dub?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I didn't flat-out dislike Progressive, but man, Alternative feels SO much more like the original in tone. A huge part of it is the characters feeling like normal teenagers amongst the usual FLCL weirdness, as opposed to whatever surreal tone Progressive was going for with its leads. Another point in its favor is far better soundtrack usage: Progressive had way too many awkward extended periods with no backing music, which just isn't FLCL at all. Can't wait to see where the rest of it goes.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm on the same boat as everyone else, Alternative is waaaay better than Progressive. It's actually trying to do its own thing without trying so hard to ape the original, and the characters are *gasp* actually likable. The animation, sadly, is nowhere near the original's quality.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:26 am Reply with quote
At this point I'm thinking that Progressive had things that I'm missing in Alternative and Alternative has things that I missed in Progressive.

But neither of them have both. (And Classic did.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3