• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Spice & Wolf VR Anime Meets Crowdfunding Goal in 2 Hours

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and met its 8,000,000 yen (about US$70,700) goal in two hours.

The tenses here are confusing me. Is this, like, "as of press time was on track to meet its 8,000,000 yen etc."? (In which case "Meats" I mean "Meets" in the headline might be better replaced with "to Meet".)
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:27 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I'm not sure where the confusion is. Headlines are nearly always in present tense, even if the event happened in the past, but article body text is usually in past tense. So in this case it means the campaign met its goal of 8 million yen in its first two hours after it launched yesterday, that was what we clarified in the article.
Hatsu95

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:37 am Reply with quote
This just goes to show that there is still huge interest in the franchise and the publishers are stupid because they're missing out on big money for not green lighting another anime series.
Halko

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:22 am Reply with quote
Hatsu95 wrote:
This just goes to show that there is still huge interest in the franchise and the publishers are stupid because they're missing out on big money for not green lighting another anime series.

The situation behind not producing another series of TV anime is much more complicated than than most people would expect. There are many shows that simply raked in the cash that for whatever reason the companies involved decided against producing more. Its quite likely that there is a really good reason there hasn't been a new season until now even if it is a simple one like not finding a production company to do it or something like Hasekura not liking the adaptations and refusing another season.
BasketBalljones

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:47 am Reply with quote
Roughly 36 hours later and it's already over 200% funded, amazing support! That's not even with the Kickstarter opening for international fans yet (set for early December) Very Happy
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:22 am Reply with quote
BasketBalljones wrote:
Roughly 36 hours later and it's already over 200% funded, amazing support! That's not even with the Kickstarter opening for international fans yet (set for early December) Very Happy

What is alsso astounding is how certain older shows still have a dedicated fan-base that want an Eng. dub of those shows. The "Let's Dub ALL of the ARIA Anime for Blu-ray!" campaign brought in nearly $595,680 from nearly 2650 backers.
Halko

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:24 am Reply with quote
Bear in mind that a probably fairly large portion of the eng dub kickstarters were backed by people that dont really have a desire for dubs but just want the series on domestic blu ray. Using them to gauge support for dubs themselves is probably not a great idea.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Crystalyn wrote:
Hmm, I'm not sure where the confusion is. Headlines are nearly always in present tense, even if the event happened in the past, but article body text is usually in past tense. So in this case it means the campaign met its goal of 8 million yen in its first two hours after it launched yesterday, that was what we clarified in the article.

This is indeed the more natural reading, and I'm not sure why I read it as "two hours from now". I might've been running low on sleep.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Will this be a story that's never been animated before?
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:30 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Will this be a story that's never been animated before?

From my understanding it's a new original story made just for the "anime".

And while some people would like to see a third season, I'd like to see a more accurate reboot. The first arc of the first season pulled a gender swap on a then-important character in the first volume of the books while completely skipping volume 4 just so they could jump ahead and introduce Eve. Plus I found Lawrence to come across as not all that smart in the anime while the novels gave a lot of insight into his thought processes. The anime is OK, but it could have been better. Ideally they could do a new season covering two books every other cour.

Unfortunately we probably have a better chance of Wolf & Parchment getting animated instead, which I'm fine with, but I'd rather have a proper S&W relaunch.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:19 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Plus I found Lawrence to come across as not all that smart in the anime while the novels gave a lot of insight into his thought processes

That's a hot take for sure. You mean like not as smart as the novels (so he could still be smart, just not as smart) or you mean he seemed like a stupid person to you? His understanding of economics imo literally seemed like a multi-generational gap over everyone else in the anime's world.

He did a lot of creative things and kinda created financial tools (like longing and shorting) where other people in the show could barely rap their head around by low, sell high. Like in the real world I've seen people complain that the show is too confusing because of all the economic and financial theory.

Like real life people can't understand the real world concepts the show made him a master of. I'm surprised to see that interpreted as "not all that smart in the anime".
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Emerje wrote:
Plus I found Lawrence to come across as not all that smart in the anime while the novels gave a lot of insight into his thought processes

That's a hot take for sure. You mean like not as smart as the novels (so he could still be smart, just not as smart) or you mean he seemed like a stupid person to you? His understanding of economics imo literally seemed like a multi-generational gap over everyone else in the anime's world.

When it came to economics he was fine, but when it came to everything else he seemed like he was running on impulse and more cowardly. For example in the anime when he first sees Holo's wolf form he passes out, but in the book he doesn't. They took a lot of liberties with his character that I really didn't appreciate.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TigerOnTheProwl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Halko wrote:
Hatsu95 wrote:

The situation behind not producing another series of TV anime is much more complicated than than most people would expect. There are many shows that simply raked in the cash that for whatever reason the companies involved decided against producing more. Its quite likely that there is a really good reason there hasn't been a new season until now even if it is a simple one like not finding a production company to do it or something like Hasekura not liking the adaptations and refusing another season.

The reason that we've never gotten a proper third season is simply because too many creative liberties were taken in the creation of the anime. Many things would need to be done to get it back in line with the LN, or else a completely new story would need to be written for the anime. Either way, it's a lot of work. Sadly, we will never get a continuation without a complete reboot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1