• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Paramount Pictures Stands By Buff Sonic in 3rd Film 'Poster'

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
immblueversion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:04 pm Reply with quote
That editing is terrible.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I look back on the old, great games and think its kind of sad how much of a joke Sonic has become. Even the official Twitter account is just shitposting, memes, and jokes. It's kinda depressing remembering how fun Sonic 2 and 3 were.
Firefly251

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
I look back on the old, great games and think its kind of sad how much of a joke Sonic has become. Even the official Twitter account is just shitposting, memes, and jokes. It's kinda depressing remembering how fun Sonic 2 and 3 were.

excluding remakes,generations, and rider series...i haven't enjoyed a sonic game since Adventure 2 on dreamcast.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Why all the hate? Its a video game being adapted to a movie, even without the change to the character design it still would have sucked like literally every other movie video game adaption. Paramount pictures just wants it to be the ultimate crappy video game movie.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Wow Counter-Criticizing potential customers...

Hey Paramount, ask EA/DICE how well that went with Battlefield 5. Rolling Eyes
Lucky_Deity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:56 pm Reply with quote
All SEGA had to do was make a CG Sonic movie in the vain of the gorgeous opening from Unleashed and set in the games world or a well animated anime movie.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:15 am Reply with quote
Paramount should just change the name of this movie to Sonic Roid-Rage at this point.
fantaselion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:21 am Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:

Idk how there in any way criticizing customers by embracing the memes, but ok. I guess so.
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:55 am Reply with quote
Haha they really don't care.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:08 am Reply with quote
omegaproxy wrote:
Haha they really don't care.

Too far into production to change it now, so they pretty much have to defend it.
Fuzzy Pickles!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:44 am Reply with quote
Those legs look awful on Sonic. In an age of incredible technology for CGI, which the movie does use, we get a peek at what will likely look like a deformed monster.

Watch Paramount blame the movie's failure on the fans.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:34 am Reply with quote
fantaselion wrote:
SWAnimefan wrote:

Idk how there in any way criticizing customers by embracing the memes, but ok. I guess so.

Well you could view it as laughing at themselves, but people are being serious with their concerns over Sonic's design and the location. If you can't get the core base on board and poke fun at their concerns, well that's not going to sell tickets.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:35 am Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:

The difference is that one is clearly a joke while the other involved a dude being a condescending fudge towards customer.
macattack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:42 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:

The official Sonic twitter had no traction at all until Aaron Webber took over the account and started the shitposting, memes, and jokes many adore it for today. And back then, it was considered highly risky. Now we have several corporate accounts getting snarky on occasion. In a way, just like the original classic games were, Sonic got to be a trendsetter again.

Sonic Mania also helped repair the hedgehog's reputation significantly. Time will tell whether the effort to restore Sonic's rep will continue or whether the movie will completely derail it.

Tho I will say that at the very least the movie isn't helping at all so far.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:16 am Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
Why all the hate? Its a video game being adapted to a movie, even without the change to the character design it still would have sucked like literally every other movie video game adaption. Paramount pictures just wants it to be the ultimate crappy video game movie.

No movie studio I know intentionally spends large amounts of money to produce movies that'll fail.

SWAnimefan wrote:

The armchair historians whined and moaned about their feelings being hurt......and still bought the game.

SWAnimefan wrote:
Well you could view it as laughing at themselves, but people are being serious with their concerns over Sonic's design and the location. If you can't get the core base on board and poke fun at their concerns, well that's not going to sell tickets.

Except most of those people were never going to see this movie on top of the fact this movie wasn't made with them exclusively in mind so waste time treating to cater to their picky whims?

Lord Oink wrote:

It's more sad when you reconcile that most of the critics of the modern Sonic games.are grown men engaging in blatant gatekeeping half of whom think the American cartoons with Jaleel White were good.

And think the best way to keep the series on the up and up is to keep making the games like they were between 91-94 even in spite of Sega oversaturating those style of games by rereleasing them multiple times over the next 26 years. Which is why Mania inspite of all the hype and love it got from those fans was really not that good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2