• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Alita: Battle Angel

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the review, sounds like it really delivered. Can't freaking wait to see it in the theater myself!
sgtevmckay

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the review.

When I heard it was coming, again, I didn't believe it....then the first Trailer!
all I could say to myself and my friends; "I hope they don't F*** it up!"

I was 30 -/+ when Cameron got the rights and waited...for ...someday.

This is one of those anime that brought me out of the Robotech/Macross and Sailor Goon days (It is to bad we still do not have a better and proper American Dub release of the complete Sailor Moon), and into a whole other expansive world of Anime that I didn't understand the existence of beyond a few tv shows. Battle Angel: Alita had me running off to my Neighborhood Ma and Pa comic store hungry for more and more expansive Anime.

Alita had become my first, of very very few, (what we call today) Waifu, though I would not realize/understand this until years later.

The Large eyes didn't phase me any more than the garish face representations in "Your Lie in April", and like that, once I saw the benefits, I relaxed into the series and enjoyed an Anime like I had not enjoyed an Anime in years.

But I am on a tangent.

After having read and re-read your article I find I am in tears, apparently they didn't F** it up, and now I can go and see it. I have been scared. So many of my Anime have been made into really Sh**y Live Actions.

I hope you are right in your assessments.

Thanks again
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, I actually expected this is going to blow anime-peeps' minds and like usual, contrast to that are those conventional reviewers who actually think it stink because the SFX took over the movie. Like hell I'm gonna trust those critic who in the first place, doesn't know one bit of Gunnm prior to this movie. Can't wait to see and own this once BD comes out in the next 6 months.

Last edited by Saku-dono on Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Rarely have I been more jealous of someone getting to see a film earlier than I can. I have to wait another week to see this?

Still, knowing that Zac is giving it his seal of approval is reassuring, as reviews I've heard snippets of so far have been mixed beyond near-universal agreement about how awesome it looks. I'd be stoked about this one regardless of reviews, but knowing that it replicates the source material well (even if that means bringing its emotional detachment along for the ride) is a big plus.

And one question for Zac: did you get to see the 2D or 3D version?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

3D, which I would recommend because it looks fantastic. I'll see it in 2D once it officially releases to compare, but the 3D version was extremely cool.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I'm sold. I'm going to see this one in the theater. Like a lot of people, I've been wary of Hollywood adaptations of anime-- plus I've been avidly reading Alita and its continuations for many years so I've been extra wary about this one-- but it seems like Cameron's love of the source material ended up being the real deal.

If it's as good as Zac's review says it is, I hope it does well enough to get sequels, in part because I want to see the ZOTT from Last Order translated into a big screen spectacle Very Happy

Last edited by R. Kasahara on Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
TexZero

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I'd actually like to know this as well as i'm torn between which to see it in.

I've even contemplated seeing it in 4DX as that's an option nearby so it'd be nice to know which version was seen/prefered.

Edit: I didn't refresh the page and noticed the response was 3D good to know.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:14 pm Reply with quote
So, we finally have our first good Hollywood anime adaptation?

I was cautiously optimistic, cautiously, but I'm glad that it turned out good.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:19 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
So, we finally have our first good Hollywood anime adaptation?

I would unironically award that to Speed Racer.

But good adaptation doesn't necessarily equal good reviews or box office.

The consensus of early reviews seems to be that the film is good - problematic, but overall a great time if you're looking for some action.

It seems however that early box office tracking for the domestic market might indicate that the film could bomb, though good word of mouth could save it, and naturally there are the overseas markets to help it break even. But if the returns are low, then Cameron can kiss goodbye any potential franchise from this.

Well I'll be going as soon as I can and for the 3-D. I could use another good 3-D film to add to the collection at home.
leongsh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I watched the movie on Monday (4th Feb) afternoon in Malaysia where it has started screening. It was an entertaining show but felt like they crammed too much into one movie. It felt like they needed to cover so many touch points that a few more minutes between some of those points would make it run more smoothly. Bottomline, it is an entertaining popcorn movie that I wouldn't mind watching a couple more times - particularly on IMAX for a more immersive experience. The screening I watched was regular 2D widescreen.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Stoked to see this get a couple of good reviews from sources I trust. I was afraid to be optimistic about Alita; I've...I've been hurt before. But now I'm feeling the stirrings of hope and excitement, even belief in a better tomorrow. I'll probably like it a little less than the reviewer, because I'm a negative picky blowhard, but even a decent film that isn't awful will be a massive step up from what I was braced for!
GuruBuckaroo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I got to see the movie last Friday at the early screening, on IMax 3D. I'm old, though, and progressive trifocals really make 3D look like shit, because anything that's not directly in the center of your sight is out of focus. That's no fault of the filmmakers, just the technology. I definitely plan to see it again in 2D.

I pretty much agree entirely with this review. I've rarely if ever seen a live-action adaptation of ANY comic - manga or western - done this well. For me, the uncanny valley went away very quickly. The romantic angle is pretty much the weakest part of the movie for me. Hugo is bland, and (justifiably, perhaps) Alita's actions regarding him are those of a extremely naive child undergoing her first crush. I really can't add anything more to the review, it covers everything pretty well. The fight scenes, the integration of live-action and CGI, it's all just so incredibly believable.

For those who need to know: spoiler[The dog dies. Offscreen.]
kotomikun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm unlikely to go and see this because I'm not big on action movies, and my only knowledge of this manga is the trivia-tidbit of its inexplicable Japanese title, "Gunnm." But it's nice to hear that Hollywood finally adapted a manga/anime in a non-disastrous fashion.

I mean, they actually listened to fans when they didn't like the exaggerated live-action anime-eyeballs, and made an effort to fix the problem? That's kind of mind-boggling. But it kinda demonstrates why this one turned out well: for once, they tried to make a good adaptation that people would like, instead of... whatever the hell it is they usually do. The Hollywood-action-flick-friendly content of this story probably helped, though.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Even if Alita gets mostly good or mixed reviews, I doubt it will get a sequel because even good original sci-fi movies that aren't Star Wars or Marvel comic book movies struggle to be a finacial success. A case in point is Blade Runner 2049 which got near universal positive reviews yet still failed to be a finacial success. I will still try and see this to support quality live action anime remakes and I hope it's at least successful enough to set the gold standard for future anime remakes, especially with that live action Gundam movie that Sunrise has planned.
rtil

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:30 pm Reply with quote
pretty good review for a film that seems to have a lukewarm reception at best. that being said, i made up my mind a long time ago - i am not supporting this film financially. hollywood is nothing but poison for anime. i'd rather they keep their hands off. not that that will ever happen, but i'm content enough knowing i didn't waste money encouraging it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5