• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Blu-Ray Box Set 1

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I will say it again, the price of these AoA sets is not bad. $200 for 64 episodes is a good deal, especially if you consider that Aniplex USA could easily have charged $500 or more for the whole series. Also, the original Funimation BD releases cost around $170 combined.

For those interested in collecting this show, get these sets now because once they go OOP who knows when the series will be back in print...probably never again.
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:03 pm Reply with quote
AoA releases are so much nicer and more premium than Funimations, and this is no exception. I'll gladly pay a bit more to get something that fits in with my Japanese releases and isn't just a bunch of disks shoved into one blu-ray case.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I bought the Funimation half season sets for $30 each so I got the series for like $60 and i'm satisfied with my copy. But how does the video quality of the Aniplex release compare to the Funimation release? I've never been all that bothered by the comedy in Brotherhood because FMA at it's core is a shonen action series aimed at a young teenage audience and whacky hijinks are a staple of the genre. But I do think the original series was stronger in regard to focusing more heavily on the human drama aspect. So if you were put off by the humor in Brotherhood, you might enjoy the original anime more which has a more somber tone overall. But I think Brotherhood is still a good mix of exciting action, fantasy world building, and the philosophical themes still have a lot of complexity to it that puts Brotherhood above your average anime to me that more than make up for any of it's short comings. I also love the original characters that didn't make it into the first anime like Ling, Mei, and Olivier Armstrong. Brotherhood is still my go to example of how to properly do an anime reboot that's faithful to the manga but doesn't lose it's emotional substance and is a high quality production.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Funimation lost the home video and streaming rights to FMA in 2016, so Aniplex's hefty new Blu-ray box set of Brotherhood is currently the only legal way to acquire the series
Buying Funiamtions widely available out of print releases is also legal.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:09 pm Reply with quote
So silly question, what is the difference between FMA and FMA Brotherhood?
I've seen the FMA TV series, and maybe eventually I will sit down and watch Brotherhood.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
I've seen the FMA TV series, and maybe eventually I will sit down and watch Brotherhood.
The first half of FMA follows the Manga, the second half is an original story. Brotherhood is a slightly shortened(a few chapters are not adapted or shortened) down version of Manga until it reaches the point where FMA stopped following the Manga, and then is a complete adaptation of the Manga until the last chapter.
CelestialEmpress

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:

FMA is the first anime series from 2003. The manga wasn't very far along yet, so halfway through the show the plot veers off into its own thing and goes completely different from there. Brotherhood was released in 2009-10 when the manga was wrapping up and was therefore able to adapt the story completely. Once you get past spoiler[Hughes dying], which happens a lot sooner in Brotherhood, they become totally separate stories. Both of them are definitely worth a watch.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:

So, when the original series was being made, the manga was still ongoing. As a result, everything in the original anime past the show's halfway point was anime-original stuff and not based on the manga.

For Brotherhood, everything is according to the manga, including the ending. However, Brotherhood skips over much of what happened before a certain someone was killed.

Brotherhood is, overall, a much more faithful work than the original, though both have their pros and cons.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:40 pm Reply with quote
AoA just never learns not to overprice, do they? But I guess there are suck---I mean, customers willing to pay the extra money for a chipboard box and some paltry extras.

I'm glad I got the Blu-Rays from Funimation while I had the chance. Aniplex really destroys my interest in ever buying it again. Or anything else they sell.

It is an excellent show, though. I just wish they'd adapted all of Volume 15 of the manga. That one's probably my favorite.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:00 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
AoA just never learns not to overprice, do they? But I guess there are suck---I mean, customers willing to pay the extra money for a chipboard box and some paltry extras.

AoA actually learned because they are not overpricing this set. And it is not nice to call other people stupid.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm glad I made the choice to double dip and get the blu-ray back when the expiration of Funimation's rights was announced. I ended up with a DVD and a blu-ray set and still didn't pay as much as this.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:22 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

If you are too poor to afford a box-set, the anime is available for free online. These sets are for collectors, people who want to own a nice physical boxset that could be compared to the Japanese edition but still want a dub or subtitles on it. Funimation's releases are never worth buying because of how gaudy and low-quality they are for collectors.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:56 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

AoA actually learned because they are not overpricing this set. And it is not nice to call other people stupid.

And it's not nice to milk the custom... I mean suckers for all their worth so of course AoA won't overprice shows they've obtained from previous NA distributors. After R O D anyway. Especially after Funimation was kind enough to flood the market with special editions just before their license expired.

Hey, they could not release this at all so it's almost like they're doing fans/collectors a favor. I bought Brotherhood when Funimation reduced the five sets down to two so I'm set.

If I didn't have those, I certainly wouldn't buy these. Not because of the price... I've paid more for less before... but because of the five episodes per BD.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:09 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

If you are too poor to afford a box-set, the anime is available for free online. These sets are for collectors, people who want to own a nice physical boxset that could be compared to the Japanese edition but still want a dub or subtitles on it. Funimation's releases are never worth buying because of how gaudy and low-quality they are for collectors.

Sets not even that nice. Chill. Funimation BDs were fine (and better priced).
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:14 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I will say it again, the price of these AoA sets is not bad. $200 for 64 episodes is a good deal, especially if you consider that Aniplex USA could easily have charged $500 or more for the whole series. Also, the original Funimation BD releases cost around $170 combined.

For those interested in collecting this show, get these sets now because once they go OOP who knows when the series will be back in print...probably never again.

Ummm when you bought set 1 and set 2 from funimation they were only about $40 each. And this was roughly a year or more before they even lost the license. This is definitely still a steep price for an older series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5