• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Dragonball Creator Akira Toriyama Knighted by France

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I dub thee Sir Kamehameha
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Can you be knighted if there's no royalty to do it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
3ngag3

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Frankly, I'm surprised they haven't knighted Araki yet.

Or Monkey Punch for that matter.

Last edited by 3ngag3 on Fri May 31, 2019 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kikoman589

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Took them long enough. Congratulations to Toriyama!
HueyLion

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 6:36 pm Reply with quote
3ngag3 wrote:

Or even Oda and Itou junji
AkaRed

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:43 pm Reply with quote
In your face Ségolène Royale Twisted Evil
shosakukan

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:21 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Can you be knighted if there's no royalty to do it?

Since ANN is an English-speaking site, the staffer translated the 'chevalier' part as 'knight(ed)'. When it comes to the 'knight' title's being given to someone, it may tend to remind an average English-speaking person of the monarch of the UK knighting someone.
Roughly speaking, modern Western national honour systems are derived from or have been influenced by Western honour systems of the past when many Western countries were monarchies. So 'Chevalier (de l'Ordre des Arts et des Lettres)' of France, which is now the French Republic, is a result of such influences.
Ashihara Eiryō, a famous Japanese writer on ballet and chansons, became a member of l'Ordre des Arts et des Lettres in 1962.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:51 am Reply with quote
I know Akira Toriyama (as well as a lot of mangaka in general) is a very private person and don't go out in public, but for such a high honor doesn't it seem a little disrespectful to not show up? Again, I understand why he didn't show up, but he has made exceptions before, and this occasion definitely seems worthy of one too imo. Maybe it's just me, but I'd feel (at least a little) disrespected if I was the French government.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:54 am Reply with quote
Toriyama-sensei getting more deserved recognition. (Now give ones to Araki and Togashi as well)

AutoOps007 wrote:
I know Akira Toriyama (as well as a lot of mangaka in general) is a very private person and don't go out in public, but for such a high honor doesn't it seem a little disrespectful to not show up? Again, I understand why he didn't show up, but he has made exceptions before, and this occasion definitely seems worthy of one too imo. Maybe it's just me, but I'd feel (at least a little) disrespected if I was the French government.

That's nothing compared to the people who actively turned down knighthood because they dislike the government of which Britain has had more than a few of those. And it's his choice not do to something that makes him deeply uncomfortable. Better to send a representative to accept the honor for you then make the ceremony awkward for everyone by yourself.
scarletrhodelia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Shoujo mangaka Ikeda Riyoko received the same honor in 2008. She is principally known for Rose of Versailles.

Anime News Network had an article on her award at the time although she was omitted from the list of recipients in this article.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-03-12/rose-of-versailles-ikeda-receives-france-top-honor
Kraz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:45 pm Reply with quote
HueyLion wrote:
3ngag3 wrote:

Or even Oda and Itou junji

Huh, I'm just hoping this is a joke :s
Even if I love Lupin the 3rd, all of these mangaka combined don't have a tenth of the influence Toriyama had in France in the 80s...
It's not a popularity contest either, Riyoko Ikeda (La Rose de Versaille) was decorated with "La Légion d'Honneur" 10 years ago, an even higher decoration for a manga much less popular today but more important because it built a lot of relation between France and Japan.

Quote:
That's nothing compared to the people who actively turned down knighthood because they dislike the government of which Britain has had more than a few of those. And it's his choice not do to something that makes him deeply uncomfortable. Better to send a representative to accept the honor for you then make the ceremony awkward for everyone by yourself.

Well, the Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters is more related to the Minister of Culture, the French equivalent to knighthood should be La Légion d'Honneur I think.
And I have no number to back my claim, but I'm pretty sure the refusal rate of the Légion d'Honneur is much higher than the Order of Arts and Letters as it can be seen as 'political'.
Black Turtle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:17 am Reply with quote
Kraz wrote:
Even if I love Lupin the 3rd, all of these mangaka combined don't have a tenth of the influence Toriyama had in France in the 80s...

And lets not forget that Monkey Punch didn't have the right to use the name of Arsène Lupin, that was created by a French author (and which is the MC's grand father in the anime). That Why Lupin the third series were renamed in French (Edgar burglar detective).
For this reason, Monkey Punch will NEVER be decorated by french officials.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1