• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hideaki Anno: After Evangelion

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While a third of the film is comprised of the twenty-seven minutes Anno had previously made, the final hour was helmed by Kazuya Tsurumaki, who would come to work on all of the subsequent Evangelion theatrical additions to the present day.

Tsurumaki actually helmed the first half of End of Evangelion ("Air/Love is Destructive"), including the 27 minutes that had already been previewed in Death/Rebirth. The second half ("Magokoro wo Kimi ni/I Need You") was directed by Anno himself, and it's possibly the most Hideaki Anno thing ever committed to film.

Last edited by Zhou-BR on Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I've always liked the Manga DVD cover but now I LOVE the End of Evangelion poster featured in this article--it really captures the feel/atmosphere of what I consider to be the superior ending to the Evangelion storyline (I get what they were going for with those last 2 episodes, but in the end I prefer an actual story ending to the story I was following, and pure philosophical abstraction doesn't completely cut it for me).

I was never mixed on the 3rd Rebuild movie--I'm giving Anno the benefit of the doubt that he knows what he's doing with his own creation and I'm left genuinely intrigued with where the new storyline will lead. Here's hoping there's no more date push-backs!
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Compounded by the series’ adult-oriented themes moving it to a much later time slot on TV Tokyo

Actually, no. Evangelion kept its 6:30 PM timeslot throughout the entirety of its initial run in Japan. If there's a source for this claim that it switched timeslots, I'd love to see it.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:44 pm Reply with quote
This article appears to be quite confused about The Japan Animator Expo; every short mentioned as being "produced" by Anno in 2014 and 2015, from Carnage to Cassette Girl, was in fact part of that project (for which Hayao Miyazaki drew the somewhat self-indulgenty protracted opening animation).
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Eventually Tsuda's protestations, disagreements over merchandising and creative freedom with Gainax, and restrictions laid down by TV Tokyo after the Pokémon seizure incident, drove Anno to depart the series early, abandoning the show with only a few episodes remaining incomplete. He would be replaced with Tsurumaki, who did his best to keep the series in vein to what had come before it, but budgetary issues and continued internal studio conflict made the going rather difficult.

No. This is a popular-but-unsubstantiated rumor that isn't even in ANN's encyclopedia. Per the (exhaustively researched) article about Kare Kano from six months ago:

Quote:
While Tsuda's disdain for the anime is well-documented, there was something far murkier brewing as well - Anno's departure from the production. Over the years, many rumors have formed about exactly what happened behind the scenes to cause this. Gainax staffers haven't helped the matters by giving differing accounts. The confirmed facts: starting with episode 16, instead of the credits listing Anno as the sole director with his name in kanji, they list him alongside Hiroki Sato with his name in katakana. He is also listed as the writer for every single episode, with co-writers on episodes 19 and 24-26.

It's frustrating to see such easily-disproven misinformation even when there is more accurate info on this very site.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:57 am Reply with quote
Ryusei-Kacho was part of the Grasshoppa! compilation DVD series of short films. Anno also had a cameo role as the bar owner in one episode of the ongoing short film series Frog River which also appeared on the Grasshoppa! DVD series. The Grasshoppa! connection continued with Anno having cameos in The Taste of Tea and Funky Forest which were also produced by that company.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:41 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Wow, I've always liked the Manga DVD cover but now I LOVE the End of Evangelion poster featured in this article--it really captures the feel/atmosphere of what I consider to be the superior ending to the Evangelion storyline (I get what they were going for with those last 2 episodes, but in the end I prefer an actual story ending to the story I was following, and pure philosophical abstraction doesn't completely cut it for me).

I was never mixed on the 3rd Rebuild movie--I'm giving Anno the benefit of the doubt that he knows what he's doing with his own creation and I'm left genuinely intrigued with where the new storyline will lead. Here's hoping there's no more date push-backs!

I don't think Anno had the Rebuild movies planned all along,though. Absolutely NOTHING of the 3.0's preview on 2.0 happened in the actual movie.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Great article!

But isn't Anno not being the only director on Rebuild exactly the same as with NGE? It's nothing new, right?
And he is definitely still THE director. As I understand it there is a task division between the leaders of the project.

Also, I'm among the people loving Rebuild. 3.0 is actually one of my favourite films of all time. My reaction to that film can be summarized as "He's done it again".
The only way to replicate Eva was to play with the expectations of Eva connoisseurs, and he realized this.

Also think it's sad how Rebuild isn't recognized by many Eva fans for all the subject matter it covers that was not part of NGE.
Passage of time, the fear of change, and all the meta commentary on anime, tropes and long running franchises.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I will continue to champion Anno and Higuchi's entry into the saga as not only one of the best special effects movies to ever be released, and one of the finest-crafted kaiju movies, but also as the greatest Godzilla film that has yet been made.

I won't say the "greatest". But I will say it's the only worthy companion piece to the 1954 original.

Both were steeped in the real-world disasters of their era, and leavened with realistic portrayals of human reactions to the beast, both individual and social. And make no mistake: both Honda and Anno were making political screeds with their respective films, but Anno's commentary stands out for its biting wit.

As for Mr. G himself, Honda's monster was a true horror in its day, limited only by budget and time pressures. Suit wearer Haruo Nakajima made the creature work through sheer determination, his performance clearly aided by the grainy B/W film stock. Anno, of course, had all of today's digital tools at his disposal, and good thing too: it allowed for the conceit of a Godzilla that could mutate, and do so "on camera".

And I don't care what anyone says--I think Kamata-kun is adorable, bulging fish eyes, bloody gills and all.
Chrad

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:08 am Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
Quote:
While a third of the film is comprised of the twenty-seven minutes Anno had previously made, the final hour was helmed by Kazuya Tsurumaki, who would come to work on all of the subsequent Evangelion theatrical additions to the present day.

Tsurumaki actually helmed the first half of End of Evangelion ("Air/Love is Destructive"), including the 27 minutes that had already been previewed in Death/Rebirth. The second half ("Magokoro wo Kimi ni/I Need You") was directed by Anno himself, and it's possibly the most Hideaki Anno thing ever committed to film.

It's more accurate to say the first part is co-directed by Tsurumaki and Anno, and the second is solely helmed by Anno.
As Tsurumaki put it here:

Quote:

Tsurumaki was the 'episode director' for Air, serving under 'Chief director' Anno.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:59 pm Reply with quote
You're right, "co-directed" is more accurate considering Tsurumaki was still working under Anno, even though Tsurumaki's credit on "Air/Love Is Destructive" was 監督 instead of the usual 演出 credit an episode director gets.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:24 am Reply with quote
Just registered an account specifically, in order to express my admiration to Matthew Roe.

As a person who understands Japanese fairly well(N1, interpreter), your report writing and angle on Anno is absolutely refreshing (compared to articles from JP).

As far as I know, there's no such an attempt on catching Anno's life - a biography - about him. Your research on him provided a very good index for people who want to research on Anno. And from time to time, you provided enough personal opinion(never too much of them) for readers to catch the points at a particular era of Anno's life.

Anyway, I'm clearly out of words about what to write.

Thank you for this brilliant piece, Matthew Roe!
Best luck to your currently producing film.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:39 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Shin Godzilla for its biting satire on Japanese bureaucracy. I couldn't help but think of that film while watching episodes 11 and 12 of GeGeGe no Kitarou (2018) with its similar portrayal of Japanese politicians paralyzed by fear of taking responsibility and suffering any consequences. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the writers at Toei also had that film in mind when they wrote those episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1