• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tennis Champ Naomi Osaka Claims Prince of Tennis' Ryōma as Her 'Husband'

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Good to know she enjoys manga and anime... But a celebrity saying that a cartoon character is her "husband" is too creepy for her own good.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:00 pm Reply with quote
She is currently ranked 2nd in the world,for now.

@Lactobacillus yogurti......
Calling her creepy just says ya ain't got a clue as to who this shy 21yr is...
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I know who she is, but let's face it... There's still a good amount of prejudice regarding manga/anime, even in this day and age. And someone famous openly proclaiming this hazubando thing will make some people gawk at her, if not readily laugh, because "cartoons are only for kids" or "Japan is for freaks lol". It's not the way I think (otherwise, why would I name myself after a microbe mentioned in Moyashimon?), but people still consider anime fans as childish, weird or perverted.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
I know who she is, but let's face it... There's still a good amount of prejudice regarding manga/anime, even in this day and age. And someone famous openly proclaiming this hazubando thing will make some people gawk at her, if not readily laugh, because "cartoons are only for kids" or "Japan is for freaks lol". It's not the way I think (otherwise, why would I name myself after a microbe mentioned in Moyashimon?), but people still consider anime fans as childish, weird or perverted.

Really? I see these type of comments in Twitter everyday when people like certain fictional characters.
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:27 pm Reply with quote
You're overthinking it, Lactobacillus yogurti. It's part of anime (and outside of that, even) fan culture to call characters "husband" or "wife", or "my daughter" or whatever. I don't know anything about Naomi but this tweet just makes her sound like a normal, modern anime fan.

Plus, she's 21 so she's perfectly in the age range of people who grew up on social media using assorted social media terminology, such as "husband".
El Hermano

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:53 am Reply with quote

This is what anime is and how the community acts. If people dislike it then that's their fault. Anime fans shouldn't have to change to appeal to the bland inoffensive American mainstream opinion. They'll hate on us no matter what.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:34 am Reply with quote
Hey women really do love these shows (pretty boy candy sports programs). I hear so much about it, always wanted to see an instance of it.

Cool.

Just to be clear I’m not being sarcastic or anything negative. She likes the character, she likes the show, that’s genuinely great.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:07 am Reply with quote
Why not Konomi made pretty sure that Ryoma and Sakuno never got together
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:30 pm Reply with quote

I wasn't thinking of it like that. I was more worried people would attack about liking a character in high school when she is 21. (Yeah, people attack a lot of fans who say that). Or call them "gross" for doing so.

Personally, I don't care. She's not hurting anyone by liking someone who is fictional.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1