• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Space Adventure Cobra TV Anime, Detective Conan: Zero the Enforcer Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Experimental dubs...... I like it.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I have the Nozomi Cobra discs and thought it looked great considering it's age. I wonder how this BDs will turn out. Hopefully we get some comparisons =)
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Nice to know that the DC Zero the Enforcer movie is finally getting a home media release here.
LightningCount

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:00 am Reply with quote
Interesting... I thought I heard somewhere, or it was at least insinuated, that Nozomi dropped the Cobra license because they weren't given access to a blu-ray version. So how did Discotek pull it off? That said, the Nozomi DVDs had excellent quality. The show looked way newer than its vintage. Hard to imagine the quality getting much better. The idea of a new dub is interesting, assuming it's done in earnest. I think the first two episodes were the setup for the show, so that's probably why they were chosen. But I'm curious about the reasoning behind doing the dub for just two episodes.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:35 am Reply with quote
LightningCount wrote:
Interesting... I thought I heard somewhere, or it was at least insinuated, that Nozomi dropped the Cobra license because they weren't given access to a blu-ray version. So how did Discotek pull it off?

They never said anything other than imply that the DVDs didn't sell, there's also the fact that this happened not long after Rose of Versailles expired and not long before Cat's Eye expired as well which had some people think there were issues with TMS given what also happened around that time with FUNi's licenses of KenIchi & The Woman Called Fujiko Mine expiring. I didn't believe the TMS theory myself but it was pretty weird that Cobra didn't last the full 7 years like other licenses do (5-7 years to be exact but usually 7 from what I have seen).

Regardless I'm glad it got rescued this quickly and will be upgrading as soon as it's out and also get around to upgrading on the movie's UHD release.

EDIT:

Oh, I see what you mean now, apparently it was based off something Shawne Kleckner said on Facebook (source).

Last edited by NJ_ on Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:50 am; edited 2 times in total
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:49 am Reply with quote
Perhaps the experimental dubs would be test dubs for a full dub for the series?

Also, Detective Conan: Zero the Enforcer's new dub? That means the one by BangZoom will be replaced or a full-release of it? This is confusing because the other one they licensed: Detective Conan - Episode One: The Great Detective Turned Small will retain most of the cast from the film as far the page is concerned given that Wendee Lee plays Conan on both so far.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:06 am Reply with quote
Wish they would dub that Winter 2010 "Cobra" TV anime and the OVA epi.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:57 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Also, Detective Conan: Zero the Enforcer's new dub? That means the one by BangZoom will be replaced or a full-release of it? This is confusing because the other one they licensed: Detective Conan - Episode One: The Great Detective Turned Small will retain most of the cast from the film as far the page is concerned given that Wendee Lee plays Conan on both so far.
Would it be a stretch to assume that "All New Dub" is Discotek talk for getting a dub.They said the same thing about Mmeories if I recall, despite no dub existing.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:37 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

They're referring to the Bang Zoom dub which despite being a year old is still new for video.

Kadmos1 wrote:

Discotek doesn't have that series, Sentai does.
Kaori Makimura

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:05 am Reply with quote
More Detective Conan is GUD.

I can only hope this leads to the tv series getting a release.♡
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:21 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

They're referring to the Bang Zoom dub which despite being a year old is still new for video.

Kadmos1 wrote:

Discotek doesn't have that series, Sentai does.

I see. Thanks.

As for the experimental dubs of the first two episodes of Cobra...does that mean test dubs from more than one studio or dubs as in referring to the episodes combined done by one studio?
MushroomMan674

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:39 am Reply with quote
Wow, so much more Conan, so soon!
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Whelp, Cobra is one more thing I guess I'll have to rebuy on BD. Very Happy
Mamo-chan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:37 am Reply with quote
Welp, you got me Discotek. Take my money now! Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1