• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Island of Giant Insects Anime Film Launches 2nd English Dub Kickstarter, Unveils Dub Clip

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:04 am Reply with quote
I think the price is more manageable and feasible this time, I hope.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:07 am Reply with quote
Lower the goal and just swear as much as humanly possible for the dub. If that clip is anything to go by, they will manage to drop more f-bombs than panty and stocking. Interesting choice
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:32 am Reply with quote
Well, some of the voice acting wasn't bad and some of those lines and delivery got me laughing, so this might be worthwhile to back as a comedy. Might be the first in history to have a "serious" show deliberately dubbed to be "so bad it's funny"...
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:13 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Well, some of the voice acting wasn't bad and some of those lines and delivery got me laughing, so this might be worthwhile to back as a comedy. Might be the first in history to have a "serious" show deliberately dubbed to be "so bad it's funny"...

Ever since Ghost Stories, right?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:56 am Reply with quote
Well, at least the cast list indicates that they know what they're doing and some of the more interesting choices were at least deliberate. Kind of surprised to see YongYea on there, but it is cool to see that he is gaining a little traction since he moved to LA specifically to pursue voice acting.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:

I wouldn’t say that this was a serious anime to begin with, what with spoiler[the main protagonist getting a one minute long walk sequence down a long hallway set to some rock music and part of the climax involves a character making incomprehensible noises and running around like a nut job because he got infected by a parasite].

Honestly I’m hoping that it gets funded this time because it was a hilarious watch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Otaku-sempai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:41 pm Reply with quote
It's hard to work up much enthusiasm for an anime that--by all word-of-mouth--is just godawful.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:31 am Reply with quote
Otaku-sempai wrote:
It's hard to work up much enthusiasm for an anime that--by all word-of-mouth--is just godawful.

Well, heard that a dub can even make a bad show look good? There's quite a handful of LatAm dubs from shows that are said to be terrible yet the dub's acting makes it work. Ghost Stories is an English example, so so far, we can expect a bonkers dub from this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1