• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Planet Licenses Salary Man Kintaro, Charge!! Men's School, Peacock King More Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:50 pm Reply with quote
In one fell swoop, three iconic manga from Shonen Jump's "Golden Age" (Otokojuku, Gin, & Taruruto) will receive their first ever official English releases. I wish that there was any hope for physical releases of these series (I'd definitely buy Otokojuku & Gin, at least), but being on a subscription-model service is better than nothing, honestly.

Also, I highly doubt this will help encourage any of their respective anime adaptations to get licensed over here, either.
perroloco

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:33 pm Reply with quote
This is great news! Hopefully this means more old jump titles like Otoko Ippiki Gaki Taisho, Koya no shonen Isamu, or Midori No Makibao, I mean these are not short manga too, Sakigake is like 34 volumes long so they are committed!
Triltaison

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:23 am Reply with quote
Oh, that's really exciting. I would really love a physical version, but this is absolutely a pleasant surprise. I'll have to go in for sure. Not even sure which one I'm most excited for since I've wanted to read them for years.
GVman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
In one fell swoop, three iconic manga from Shonen Jump's "Golden Age" (Otokojuku, Gin, & Taruruto) will receive their first ever official English releases. I wish that there was any hope for physical releases of these series (I'd definitely buy Otokojuku & Gin, at least), but being on a subscription-model service is better than nothing, honestly.

Also, I highly doubt this will help encourage any of their respective anime adaptations to get licensed over here, either.

The first few volumes of Otokojuku were released through that Renta thing in English, and I remember seeing chapters of Gin on sale in English individually on iOS years ago.

Anyhow, this'll be a much better home for them.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

The prospect of an English release of Ring ni Kakero is starting to look a lot more plausible.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:10 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
The prospect of an English release of Ring ni Kakero is starting to look a lot more plausible.

Not quite, sadly. These manga were all licensed through Thirdline, which is Hiroshi Motomiya's publishing company. Kurumada, on the other hand, currently licenses primarily through Shueisha (for 95% of his entire catalog) or Akita Shoten (the Saint Seiya spin-offs & Ai ni Jidai), with the only exception recently being Shogakukan, which published the "Ultimate Final Edition" of Fuma no Kojirou last year.

Thirdline licenses don't mean much of anything in regards to Kurumada, unfortunately. Maybe if Manga Planet sees an interest in his works, sure, but supporting Otokojuku or Kintaro won't do much of anything to support Kurumada's catalog getting licensed, at least directly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1