• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: PlayStation 5 Console Sells 118,000 Units in Japan; Xbox Series X/S Sells 20,000

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:38 pm Reply with quote
they should've delayed release to stock up like a million in each region
-SP-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I remember when the original article regarding the XSX selling out came out, people were saying Xbox finally had a chance to win some marketshare from Sony, but as expected, that's not the case
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
they should've delayed release to stock up like a million in each region

You’d still likely have a sell out.

I’m also not surprised at this result for all the caterwauling people were going on about how Sony was turning off the Japanese segment of their audience off from the brand with some of their decisions.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:13 pm Reply with quote
So the PS5 outsold the PS3 by 40% or so, but behind the PS4 by a whopping 66% or so. Really curious to see where it'll stack up compared to those two by the end of the generation. The PS4 blew the PS3 out of the starting gate, but it's currently 1.2 million behind it in lifetime sales with next to no chance of overtaking since I can't imagine it would have anywhere near the post gen legs that the PS2 managed to have.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
So the PS5 outsold the PS3 by 40% or so, but behind the PS4 by a whopping 66% or so. Really curious to see where it'll stack up compared to those two by the end of the generation. The PS4 blew the PS3 out of the starting gate, but it's currently 1.2 million behind it in lifetime sales with next to no chance of overtaking since I can't imagine it would have anywhere near the post gen legs that the PS2 managed to have.

I think the price plays a big role in that. The PS3 was really expensive, especially at launch, the PS4 quite the opposite. After just 2-3 year the first sales at around 200,- started to appear, which was insanely fast.
Sure in the end the games will always decide the "winner" and thus the majority of the sales but a quick price drop like the PS4 had will boost the sales a lot too.

I don't really know what you mean with the lifetime sales, as there is a huge difference between any of the Playstations, the PS1 and PS4 are the closest with "just" a 10 million difference.
lostrune

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:12 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
I’m also not surprised at this result for all the caterwauling people were going on about how Sony was turning off the Japanese segment of their audience off from the brand with some of their decisions.

That's been the case for awhile though. All the best selling games in Japan are on the Switch, or the 3DS before it. Sony's been losing ground in Japan ever since the PS3 while the Xbox brand has never been a contender in Japan. Gaming in Japan these days is mostly mobage and Nintendo. Sony hasn't been big in Japan since the days of the PS2 and PSP.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:54 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

That's been the case for awhile though. All the best selling games in Japan are on the Switch, or the 3DS before it. Sony's been losing ground in Japan ever since the PS3 while the Xbox brand has never been a contender in Japan. Gaming in Japan these days is mostly mobage and Nintendo. Sony hasn't been big in Japan since the days of the PS2 and PSP.

You're not the only one. Yeah, ever since PS4's later launch in Japan (remember PS4 launched in Japan several months after it's launched in NA and Europe) , I've started to noticed Sony not taking their Japanese market seriously like they were back during the PS2 and the early era of PS3. Also the fact that Sony's video game headquarter moved from Tokyo to San Mateo, California is another evidence that Sony is not taking the Japanese market like it used to.

So I'm not that surprised that the PS5 sold 100,000+ in Japan. Nintendo is always an exception in Japan. But I do wonder if video game has a future in Japan because of the growing market for video game in other part of East Asia (ie: China, South Korea).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:44 am Reply with quote
Both consoles are supply-constrained right now, i.e. they're selling as much as they're producing

That means Sony provided Japan only ~118,000 PS5s, while Microsoft provided Japan only ~20,000 Series X/S

They're moving the rest of the consoles they produced to other places where they believe are more in need
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:30 am Reply with quote
As always, Japan views Microsoft's console efforts as non-existent.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:43 am Reply with quote
Tripple-A wrote:

I think the price plays a big role in that. The PS3 was really expensive, especially at launch, the PS4 quite the opposite. After just 2-3 year the first sales at around 200,- started to appear, which was insanely fast.
Sure in the end the games will always decide the "winner" and thus the majority of the sales but a quick price drop like the PS4 had will boost the sales a lot too.

Don't expect console prices to decrease much from this gen here on out. We're at a point now that cost reduction opportunities are getting thin on the ground. Look at PS4 Pro and Xbox One X prices - they're not decreasing as fast as previous consoles.

Previous generations were kind of easy because at the beginning of the generation, you make something really expensive - put as much silicon and as much performance as you could into it - then you would just ride the cost reduction curves down to mass market prices.

That cost reduction path was driven principally by silicon cost reduction. That's not there anymore. Moore's Law is continuing, but what it's not bringing any more is a good cost reduction cost per transistor.

Processor performance is tied closely to transistor count - but if the cost per transistor is not reducing, a new chip with more logic will cost a lot more to make, even if it's actually smaller than today's processors. For the new consoles, a smaller, slimmer machine is a possibility - but the actual cost of making it won't change that much.

mdo7 wrote:

You're not the only one. Yeah, ever since PS4's later launch in Japan (remember PS4 launched in Japan several months after it's launched in NA and Europe) , I've started to noticed Sony not taking their Japanese market seriously like they were back during the PS2 and the early era of PS3. Also the fact that Sony's video game headquarter moved from Tokyo to San Mateo, California is another evidence that Sony is not taking the Japanese market like it used to.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/11/10/business/tech/microsoft-sony-console-clash/
Quote:
Hideki Yasuda, an analyst at Ace Research Institute in Tokyo. "Sony’s attention is drifting away and fans have started to notice that.”

Sony has placed more importance on the U.S. market after the PlayStation 4’s disappointing performance in Japan, according to employees who asked not to be identified discussing internal matters.

Global sales of the PS4 rose to more than 113 million from the PS3’s 87 million, according to Sony data. But the console sold fewer than 10 million units in Japan, less than its predecessor, according to Famitsu, a Japanese video game magazine. The U.S., meanwhile, accounts for 35% of the video game unit’s revenue, compared with 10% for Japan, according to Macquarie Group Ltd. analyst Damian Thong.

A senior figure inside PlayStation headquarters in San Mateo, California, said the U.S. side was frustrated by the failure of the Japan marketing team to sell as many PlayStation 4 units as expected. The person asked not to be identified discussing internal matters.

As a result, Japan has been sidelined in planning the PS5’s promotion, according to several PlayStation staff in Japan. Employees in Tokyo said they have been left awaiting instructions from California.

Japan-based developer support teams have been reduced by as much as a third from their peak, and the rolling contracts of a number of game creators at PlayStation’s Japan Studio, one of the unit’s oldest in-house software ateliers, have not been renewed, former employees said. The U.S. office believes the PlayStation business does not need games that only do well in Japan, employees in the California headquarters said.

Local retailers said they have not received many more first-batch PS5 units than they did of the PlayStation 3, which had a limited initial production run.

"It’s analyst consensus that PlayStation no longer sees the Japan market as important,” Morningstar Research analyst Kazunori Ito said. "If you want to know their take on the Japanese market, you need to ask about it because otherwise Sony wouldn’t talk about it.”

BlueRex666 wrote:

As always, Japan views Microsoft's console efforts as non-existent.

They're proud to be back to Tier 1 country for Xbox

https://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/review/1283223.html
Quote:
Translated: Japan has returned to Tier 1 since the Xbox 360, and the Japanese Xbox community seems to be booming for the first time in a while.

Reservation acceptance in Japan, which started on September 25, is also sold out immediately.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Tripple-A wrote:
I don't really know what you mean with the lifetime sales, as there is a huge difference between any of the Playstations, the PS1 and PS4 are the closest with "just" a 10 million difference.

Lifetime sales in Japan. The numbers for the PS3 and PS4 are 10.4 and 9.2 million respectively, hence the 1.2 million gap I mentioned.

There’s been quite a bit of talk about how Sony is putting less focus on the Japanese market after the PS4’s numbers underwhelmed there when it didn’t have any major issues holding it back to the same capacity that the PS3 had for most of the generation (that the PS3’s Cell processor was such a pain to develop games for was probably why the XBox 360 managed to finally give Microsoft some amount of footing in Japan). Initial sales clearly won’t paint the full picture for how that’ll pan out for the rest of the new generation, but with the way things are already moving with the tail end of the PS4, it’s hard not to wonder.

Seeing the upcoming Gal Gun game coming to the Switch and even Xbox but not PlayStation is definitely eyebrow raising and I can’t help but wonder if Disgaea 6’s western release being exclusive to the Switch for at least one year even though it’s also releasing on PlayStation in Japan has something to do with it too (presumably NISA will be localizing it like usual; a region specific timed exclusivity deal would be the next logical conclusion but that is definitely leaning into ridiculous territory).
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:34 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:

That's been the case for awhile though. All the best selling games in Japan are on the Switch, or the 3DS before it.

Which is likely because of the portability of the systems not because of Sony "censoring" the anime games. You also ignore the sales of other games in the region that of course are not on the Switch such as Monster Hunter World, Final Fantasy 7R, and others.

lostrune wrote:

Sony's been losing ground in Japan ever since the PS3 while the Xbox brand has never been a contender in Japan. Gaming in Japan these days is mostly mobage and Nintendo. Sony hasn't been big in Japan since the days of the PS2 and PSP.

Japan is notoriously wishy-washy on consoles compared to handhelds.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:36 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

mdo7 wrote:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/11/10/business/tech/microsoft-sony-console-clash/
Quote:
Hideki Yasuda, an analyst at Ace Research Institute in Tokyo. "Sony’s attention is drifting away and fans have started to notice that.”

Sony has placed more importance on the U.S. market after the PlayStation 4’s disappointing performance in Japan, according to employees who asked not to be identified discussing internal matters.

Global sales of the PS4 rose to more than 113 million from the PS3’s 87 million, according to Sony data. But the console sold fewer than 10 million units in Japan, less than its predecessor, according to Famitsu, a Japanese video game magazine. The U.S., meanwhile, accounts for 35% of the video game unit’s revenue, compared with 10% for Japan, according to Macquarie Group Ltd. analyst Damian Thong.

A senior figure inside PlayStation headquarters in San Mateo, California, said the U.S. side was frustrated by the failure of the Japan marketing team to sell as many PlayStation 4 units as expected. The person asked not to be identified discussing internal matters.

As a result, Japan has been sidelined in planning the PS5’s promotion, according to several PlayStation staff in Japan. Employees in Tokyo said they have been left awaiting instructions from California.

Japan-based developer support teams have been reduced by as much as a third from their peak, and the rolling contracts of a number of game creators at PlayStation’s Japan Studio, one of the unit’s oldest in-house software ateliers, have not been renewed, former employees said. The U.S. office believes the PlayStation business does not need games that only do well in Japan, employees in the California headquarters said.

Local retailers said they have not received many more first-batch PS5 units than they did of the PlayStation 3, which had a limited initial production run.

"It’s analyst consensus that PlayStation no longer sees the Japan market as important,” Morningstar Research analyst Kazunori Ito said. "If you want to know their take on the Japanese market, you need to ask about it because otherwise Sony wouldn’t talk about it.”

Enurtsol, Thank you for that article and information about Sony's lack of taking the Japanese market seriously. It's what I thought and observed in the Japanese market. Yeah, I knew a few years ago there was something wrong in the Japanese market for the last few years and that explain the rise in video game markets in Mainland China and South Korea. I'm not sure what's the status of PS5 and Xbox Series S/X for those 2 countries, but it would be interesting to see if the 2 new next gen consoles can make a dent in the 2 countries I mentioned.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1