• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bloomberg: Nintendo Plans New Switch Model With Larger Screen

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:43 pm Reply with quote
This is probably inevitable, but it still amuses me that Bloomberg has released this same exact report seemingly every single month for the past year. "Hey guys, Nintendo is still going to do that thing we all know they're going to do!"
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:59 am Reply with quote
Will the Joy-Cons stay the same size, though?
wolf10

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:12 am Reply with quote
They could probably keep it the same size as the current Switch just by reducing the bezel around the screen, which would leave it compatible with the current Joy-Cons.

Not that I don't think they could use some kind of general update.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:08 am Reply with quote
I've been doubting all of the Switch's improved model rumors but this at least has some a bit of credibility. Still, if this is true Nintendo has to figure out how to make a portable console with an OLED display with a decent battery life because I think that was one of the Vita's shortcomings, also if this is similar to the New 3DS or PS4 Pro perhaps some developers can improve some games, but at the same time they have to be playable on the regular an Lite models, and I'm not sure if Nintendo wants to divide it's users.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
I've been doubting all of the Switch's improved model rumors but this at least has some a bit of credibility. Still, if this is true Nintendo has to figure out how to make a portable console with an OLED display with a decent battery life because I think that was one of the Vita's shortcomings,

Vita had good battery life at least I thought so.

Silver Kirin wrote:
also if this is similar to the New 3DS or PS4 Pro perhaps some developers can improve some games, but at the same time they have to be playable on the regular an Lite models, and I'm not sure if Nintendo wants to divide it's users.

I mean the New 3DS though did have games that were only playable on it so that definitely wouldn't stop them.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:00 pm Reply with quote
If it's just a screen upgrade like the PSP revisions then I'll pass since I never play my Switch in handheld mode. Hopefully it's also more powerful and runs certain games like Age of Calamity better
JeffreySweeney

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:20 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
I mean the New 3DS though did have games that were only playable on it so that definitely wouldn't stop them.

Wasn't there only like 1 game that did that? Xenoblade Chronicles?
Serinox

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:41 am Reply with quote
JeffreySweeney wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Wasn't there only like 1 game that did that? Xenoblade Chronicles?

No, there were a handful more, with the only notable one being Fire Emblem Warriors.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:14 am Reply with quote
Serinox wrote:

No, there were a handful more, with the only notable one being Fire Emblem Warriors.

Along with the SNES games.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1