• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2018 Gegege no Kitaro Anime Gets Kitarō Tanjō: Gegege no Nazo Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:02 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I guess this will be a prequel film.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:09 am Reply with quote
It's likely based somewhat on Mizuki's original manga, Hakaba Kitarou. The 2007 noitaminA adaptation of this work presents a very different view of Kitarou and friends from the GeGeGe stories. Kitarou himself is a bit of a jerk and largely dismissive of humans. Neko-musume's original interpretation is also quite different and rather spoiler[tragic]. Nezumi-otoko's character is pretty similar, though, as is Medama-Oyagi. It will be interesting to watch how the Toei team navigates between these two visions of the Kitarou character.

If your only experience of the Kitarou stories comes from the GeGeGe adaptations, I strongly recommend watching Hakaba Kitarou.

It also has a great OP, Mononoke Dance, by Denki Groove with direction by Nakamura Kenji after his work on the medicine seller stories with Toei.

https://youtu.be/6nQN_ZTxfsA
Turro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:21 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
It's likely based somewhat on Mizuki's original manga, Hakaba Kitarou. The 2007 noitaminA adaptation of this work presents a very different view of Kitarou and friends from the GeGeGe stories. Kitarou himself is a bit of a jerk and largely dismissive of humans. Neko-musume's original interpretation is also quite different and rather spoiler[tragic]. Nezumi-otoko's character is pretty similar, though, as is Medama-Oyagi. It will be interesting to watch how the Toei team navigates between these two visions of the Kitarou character.

If your only experience of the Kitarou stories comes from the GeGeGe adaptations, I strongly recommend watching Hakaba Kitarou.

It also has a great OP, Mononoke Dance, by Denki Groove with direction by Nakamura Kenji after his work on the medicine seller stories with Toei.

https://youtu.be/6nQN_ZTxfsA

Thanks for the information!

The last GeGeGe show was a great surprise, I will be looking forward to this movie.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:36 pm Reply with quote
This'll be interesting. I watched this show on my last day in Tokyo (two months before COVID-19 shut everything down) while waiting for the latest episode of One Piece to start, and it was pretty good. I was on my way to the Philippines at the time, due to the fact that International School Manila, where my dad went to school as a teen, was celebrating its 100th anniversary.
NeonZ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I loved this version of Kitaro. I really wasn't expecting social commentary focus in a modern Toei anime.

I'm happy they're making more content related to it and I won't need to wait another decade for more Kitaro.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:51 am Reply with quote
NeonZ wrote:
I loved this version of Kitaro. I really wasn't expecting social commentary focus in a modern Toei anime.

That's why I thought episode twenty was just stunning. Pretty rare to see any criticism of the Japanese government in anime, yet here was Toei indicting the educational establishment for its white-washing of the nation's role in World War II. I hope some other kids took Mana's lead and began researching the topic on their own.

The whole lengthy story about the Prime Minister and her concern that yokai threatened her hold on power was another unusual story line. It begins with the invasion of the tanuki army early in the first season and continues on through the surprising events near the end of the show. The tenor of the episodes where the government has to deal with yokai seems to come from the same roots as Anno Hideaki's vision in his Shin Godzilla movie. Anno explicitly spoke about the influence the government's failure to react swiftly in Tsukushima had on his film. I think the writers at Toei might have shared his disgust.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1