• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Comic-Con International Plans 3-Day In-Person Event Over Thanksgiving Weekend

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyo Hisagi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Knowing how bad things with COVID in USA are, I don't think that's a good idea. But who am I to judge.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:48 pm Reply with quote
This seems too early to start in person cons especially now with the COVID variants and who's going to a con on Thanksgiving weekend anyway?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I mean, at the current pace of vaccinations, we’d be at over 90% of people vaccinated by the end of the summer, which would be above even the higher end estimates of what is needed for herd immunity. Certainly they would want to keep an eye on variants and how the vaccines work on them, but so far, they seem to have been effective against the variants we’re seeing. It wouldn’t be a good idea to hold one right now, but I don’t think it is necessarily a bad idea in the fall at the pace we’re going. Obviously they will have to follow the guidelines of the state and local governments, and getting to herd immunity likely will require mitigating the issue of hesitancy in some groups, but I’m not so certain that it will be too early by then. I understand the pessimism, and it certainly has been the better call for the past year, as a number of institutions were often too optimistic with regard to the situation, but I don’t think it’s too optimistic to think that things could start to return to normal later this year (and I mean like late summer or fall, not right now). It probably wouldn’t be fully normal back to normal, as I don’t think we’ll see international guests in person this year, but if we can get most people vaccinated, it might be okay to go to stuff like this again. Of course, that doesn’t mean it would be unreasonable to be personally uncomfortable going to such a gathering at that time.

Although, I do think it could be good to bring some of the stuff we’ve been doing the last year into the future normal. While I haven’t experienced it personally, you heard a lot about con crud, etc. before this past year, so I’m wondering if it could be a good idea to wear a mask or at least doing better hand washing at cons even after we’re past this.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:26 am Reply with quote
To give this some context, I have been preparing for a pretty lively business convention season this year. After coming off of a zero convention last season, having to go over floor plans and booth space feels weird. Ultimately regardless of personal opinion, we are moving on and barring any unforeseen events I am hopeful that everything else starts picking up steam as well.

I think the bigger issue is the damage done to the supporting businesses and the fallout from that. Restaurants, Hotels.. etc. I am finding that many of the places that were the "goto" choices of some of these conventions are at best very limited in resources, and at worst just no longer exist. I am willing to bet your going to find the same at most anime conventions as they start to pick back up.
nickp1991

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:48 am Reply with quote
I’ve always thought it would be fun to go to Comic-Con one time in my lifetime but I wouldn’t go over Thanksgiving weekend! I love that time with my family
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:07 pm Reply with quote
This is bonkers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1