• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shonen Jump Magazine Launches 2 New Manga as Phantom Seer Ends

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Яeverse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Apart from the way it handled Tengu, Phantom Seer was kind of forgettable.

I think one will find that Hell Warden Higuma did the using the demons powers much better and more refreshing than Phantom Seer and also, it had shocking story beats. I very well imagine if Hell Warden Higuma was running now, it would definitely be a JUMP mainstay. Serialized too soon.

I doubt I will remember Phantom Seer next year while I will still remember Higuma.

-

Don't know if the new mangas will be successful, not really optimistic about them.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Don't know if the new mangas will be successful, not really optimistic about them.

People loved the Blue Box oneshot, so that could definitely go places.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Phantom Seer has great artwork, but had a rough start story-wise. I personally thought it could have gotten better though.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:37 pm Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
Phantom Seer has great artwork, but had a rough start story-wise. I personally thought it could have gotten better though.

I mean it had 30 whole weeks to introduce any interesting characters or story hooks. Think this is just a case of an artist really needing a writer to pair up with.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:39 pm Reply with quote
So...yuri manga about a girls basketball team?
Honeyman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:37 am Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
BlueAlf wrote:

I mean it had 30 whole weeks to introduce any interesting characters or story hooks. Think this is just a case of an artist really needing a writer to pair up with.

So given the series has wrapped before it got to its first anniversary in Jump is it a case of it ending prematurely with story threads left dangling? Its a shame as I thought the art and characters in the series were pretty decent.
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:11 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
So...yuri manga about a girls basketball team?

According to the one shot, no
Suxinn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:26 am Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Apart from the way it handled Tengu, Phantom Seer was kind of forgettable.

I think one will find that Hell Warden Higuma did the using the demons powers much better and more refreshing than Phantom Seer and also, it had shocking story beats. I very well imagine if Hell Warden Higuma was running now, it would definitely be a JUMP mainstay. Serialized too soon.

I doubt I will remember Phantom Seer next year while I will still remember Higuma.

I 100% agree.

Though I do understand why Higuma got canceled when it did, since it's earlier chapters were pretty lackluster as well -- and Jump is really big on getting an early payoff. You could really feel the mangaka hitting their stride, story-wise, around the 10s mark though, but by that point I suspect it was too late, and the manga got axed right when it was getting interesting.

So rather than getting serialized later in Jump, I think Higuma would've done a lot better if it'd gotten serialized in a less competitive magazine, ala Shounen Sunday, or something. It wasn't the best manga of its ilk, but it certainly had more potential and earnestness than Phantom Seer (which felt like it was just phoning it in every chapter trying to find a way to get popular).
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:52 am Reply with quote
Phantom Seer was given a chance to live in January, when the authors introduced the "enemy forces" sided with the Big Boss... but then it came the Doll House arc and it dragged a lot. PS's rankings were not that good to think readers will sit patiently during such a long battle with one secondary enemy.

It's a pity Matsuura-sensei has such bad luck with his writers, even if Phantom Seer's writing was way better than Tokyo Shinobi Squad.

It seems that Shonen Jump is turning away from battle or comedy stories to try love comedies or sport ones liked Ao no hako (Blue Box) and Ame no furu (which we don't know much about it yet).

But in any case, with circulation numbers falling down, Shueisha cannot allow the luxury of "not-good-enough" series.
DrewH90

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:33 am Reply with quote
Phantom Seer had 100k in prnt, higher than roboco, magu, high school family, cop and dolphin and they get cancelled? jump makes no sense, how do tankoubon sales mean squat when compared to magazine votes. it has 5x the sales of roboco i just dont udnerstand jump. at least move the series to jump+ cancelling it is stupid.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:12 am Reply with quote
DrewH90 wrote:
Phantom Seer had 100k in prnt, higher than roboco, magu, high school family, cop and dolphin and they get cancelled? jump makes no sense, how do tankoubon sales mean squat when compared to magazine votes. it has 5x the sales of roboco i just dont udnerstand jump. at least move the series to jump+ cancelling it is stupid.

Cop and Dolphin is also on the way out, while the others fill specific niches compared to the oversaturated supernatural action genre (that just recently got a megahit in the form of JJK). Also how many copies in circulation really does not matter vs. how many of those circulated copies actually sell. Copies in circulation would inevitably dwindle if actual sales stagnated (as they did in just two volumes for Phantom Seer).
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:49 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
It seems that Shonen Jump is turning away from battle or comedy stories to try love comedies or sport ones liked Ao no hako (Blue Box) and Ame no furu (which we don't know much about it yet).

I can see the logic for both directions. Haikyu left a massive gap to fill, and now both Yuuna and We Never Learn are gone. Even those I don't believe ever hit the sales heights of Nisekoi, which QuintQuints actually surpassed. And even without QuintQuints and Domestic Girlfriend, Weekly Shonen Magazine still has Rent-A-Girlfriend and now the highly successful A Couple of Cuckoos.
Ensaru64

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:11 am Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
BlueAlf wrote:

It's ironic you say this because Phantom Seer is done by an artist and writer pair. The series started off kinda slow. Maybe they were hoping that Jump would give them the time to develop the story instead of blazing through it at blistering speeds in the beginning. Undead Unluck had to do this to avoid cancellation, but I'd also argue that Unluck had some of the worst 2 opening chapters....at least unil I Tell C and Builder King took this award. I guess we now know the result of this.

On the plus side, Phantom Seer is one of the few series to wrap up in a decent manner because it didn't compromise its pacing too much and there weren't multiple plotlines happening at the same time. I wonder if Viz would ever put out a Western release for this series because I'm interested in buying them?
Nekomo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:43 pm Reply with quote
It was expected for Phantom Seer to finish, from a couple chapters in I knew that Our Blood Oath and Phantom Seer were bound to end soon. It's a shame that Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin will probably end soon I was enjoying it, the comedy aspect and even the action at time. I guess you can't question the questionnaires. Mad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1