• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kakegurui Writer Homura Kawamoto's Isekai Revenge Manga Canceled After 1 Chapter

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erulogos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:26 am Reply with quote
Hmm, so is parody not really a thing in Japan, or maybe not direct parody (a la Spaceballs) or what? The premise seemed like a clear case of knocking the big boys of isekai down a peg or two (not sure what the author's problem with Bakarina is though.) Shame it won't get to run for a bit, it probably could have been good for some laughs.

Last edited by Erulogos on Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Zen119

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:26 am Reply with quote
It was not meant to be, I guess.
Dextres

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:42 am Reply with quote
Well damn.

And I was just thinking about this work today too. Shame

By any chance, copies would *not* be available would it for the 1st and only chapter???

If not, that is fine I guess.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:47 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I'd wondered about this series when it was announced. I assumed that permissions must have been obtained in advance by the publisher, since the characters in question seemed so close to their originals and Japanese publishers generally shy away from "disrespecting" other writers works. Obviously now, that wasn't the case.

Pity, because I was actually looking forward to this take on Isekai. Maybe it can be retooled so that the parody characters aren't as obvious?
JonDoe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:50 am Reply with quote
Damn that was fast! Seriously that has to be a record for fastest cancellation ever! Although it does make for some nice schadenfreude to see a manga with such a petty and mean spirited premise be cancelled so fast and so unceremoniously.
Firefly251

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:12 am Reply with quote
kind of sucks. I enjoy revenge manga and was lookign forward to this ;/
Saeryen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:16 am Reply with quote
I would not have been interested in this kind of story anyway, but I do agree that it seems rather mean-spirited. Perhaps that because Katarina Claes is one of my favorite characters and I hate the idea of someone writing a story just to kill of a sweet and kind girl like her.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:29 am Reply with quote
Erulogos wrote:
Hmm, so is parody not really a thing in Japan, or maybe not direct parody (a la Spaceballs) or what? The premise seemed like a clear case of knocking the big boys of isekai down a peg or two (not sure what the author's problem with Bakarina is though.) Shame it won't get to run for a bit, it probably could have been good for some laughs.

The problem it that this isn't a parody or satire, it just a revenge fantasy Isekai but the hook this time is that it have other MC from popular series and now they all evil to justify MC doing horrible thing to them. Kinda ironic that the author did make another isekai before this and it failed. Seem more like he try to take his anger out by writing his MC killing other more successful series MC.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:34 am Reply with quote
Instantly dunked like it deserved tbh. The premise was great but the execution was just too blunt; you could feel the hatred radiating from the page, let alone the generic edge.

Real disappointing coming from the Kakegurui author.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:38 am Reply with quote
KarlFranz wrote:
Erulogos wrote:

The problem it that this isn't a parody or satire, it just a revenge fantasy Isekai but the hook this time is that it have other MC from popular series and now they all evil to justify MC doing horrible thing to them. Kinda ironic that the author did make another isekai before this and it failed. Seem more like he try to take his anger out by writing his MC killing other more successful series MC.

Pretty much the exact definition of a parody. And by its nature a parody is also pretty much a satire. Hard to say where this would have headed and writer should have either got the okay or just made paper thin disguises but who knows .

And for the record I haven't read ch one and I like katerina, but if he plays the character in a universe where she wasn't reincarnated not exactly a big deal to kill her off.
glafrun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:43 am Reply with quote
Erulogos wrote:

Yea, sarcasm, parody, dark humor etc.... Don't work in Japan at all. Walking on eggshells trying any of that out there. Maybe like 5% of the population understand that type of thing, but the rest will force you out.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:59 am Reply with quote
glafrun wrote:
Yea, sarcasm, parody, dark humor etc.... Don't work in Japan at all.

Have you seen Osomatsu-san? Yes, the first episode was pulled over copyright issues, but they've done a lot of other parodies of identifiable franchises with no problems. And dark humor is practically their stock in trade.

This doesn't sound like it was specifically copyright law they were worried about, just that it was denigration of other franchises rather than homage or parody.
glafrun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
glafrun wrote:
Yea, sarcasm, parody, dark humor etc.... Don't work in Japan at all.

Have you seen Osomatsu-san? Yes, the first episode was pulled over copyright issues, but they've done a lot of other parodies of identifiable franchises with no problems. And dark humor is practically their stock in trade.

This doesn't sound like it was specifically copyright law they were worried about, just that it was denigration of other franchises rather than homage or parody.

Haven't seen it... just know dark humor for sure doesn't work... you can do slapstick parody like gintama does etc. but that's about as far as you can go. If you ever watch what there comedy is, it's slapstick humor. They can't make fun of real events without scrutiny. Sarcasm is non-existent. You can't do something that others think will offend other known names/things without scrutiny.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The story begins when one of the people Lute admires, Louis Crawford, appears.

This was the one character from that image floating around online where I didn't get the reference. The others were mostly obvious even without the handy pictures of their counterparts underneath:

「アンデッド・キング」ドーン・ウィル・デッド
"Undead King" Dorn Will Dead (Ainz Ooal Gown)
「異世界レストラン」四条雪子
"Isekai restaurant" Shijou Yukiko (presumably someone from Restaurant to Another World)
「ネームドスライム」ロロ゠センディガー
"Named Slime" Rollo Sendiger (Rimuru from TenSura)
「幼い悪魔」アナスタシア・メロクヴァ
"Little Devil" Anastasia Melokva (Tanya von Degurechaff, kinda-sorta)
「双剣の黒騎士」キルト
"Dual-Wielding Black Swordsman" Kiruto (take a wild guess)
「悪役令嬢」イメルダ・ピニャータ
"Villainess" Imelda Piñata (probably Bakarina specifically but honestly she could be a stand-in for the entire akuyaku reijou subgenre)
「堕女神」フレア
"Fallen Goddess" Flare (Aqua from KonoSuba)
「神の手違い」ルイ゠クロフォード
"God's Mistake" Louis Crawford (???)
「ルーパー」ホンダ・ユウヤ
"Looper" Honda Yuuya (Subaru Natsuki)
mrsatan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:22 pm Reply with quote
glafrun wrote:
Yea, sarcasm, parody, dark humor etc.... Don't work in Japan at all. Walking on eggshells trying any of that out there. Maybe like 5% of the population understand that type of thing, but the rest will force you out.

(Formerly) Super sarcastic guy that once lived in Japan here that can confirm.
They took everything I said at face value and it made my life very difficult. Because I'm a big dummy on the spectrum, it took me too long to realize what I was doing to myself.

To this day, I still avoid saying sarcastic or dark humor.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6