• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam 00 Anime Gets Revealed Chronicle CG Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
is getting a new CG anime

And what a way to kill the excitement (for me). They continue to stray from their origins.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:13 am Reply with quote
Rob19ny wrote:
Quote:

And what a way to kill the excitement (for me). They continue to stray from their origins.

I mean, CGI is getting better and better. The CGI mecha from Hathaway looks o good you sometimes can think it is 2d Animated. The same can be said for Unicorn. Plus, its easier on the artists in general. I welcome this change. I am curious to see what a CGI Setsuna would even look like.

They said its not a full anime, but could it have a chanced to be dubbed? I don't even know if Brad Swaile does anime anymore. The last anime project her worked on was Gintama in 2017, according to Wikipedia.
Seiya0890

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:30 pm Reply with quote
What happened to the rumored S3 ? Are we getting that instead ? O_O
Fluwm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Jesus. Hard to believe 00 is 14 years old. It really feels like it was the "last" new Gundam TV series... for whatever reason it's three successors just don't stick themselves to my memory.

RockSplash wrote:
Rob19ny wrote:
Quote:

I mean, CGI is getting better and better. The CGI mecha from Hathaway looks o good you sometimes can think it is 2d Animated. The same can be said for Unicorn. Plus, its easier on the artists in general. I welcome this change. I am curious to see what a CGI Setsuna would even look like.

They said its not a full anime, but could it have a chanced to be dubbed? I don't even know if Brad Swaile does anime anymore. The last anime project her worked on was Gintama in 2017, according to Wikipedia.

Gundam has used CGI to aid animation for decades. It's not a bad thing in and of itself: what matters is the execution: the animation, direction, scene composition, etc.

But it's worth noting that since they're billing this as a CG anime, that probably means no integration with 2D animation... so expect something more like Evolve or (if we're lucky) IgLoo rather than Unicorn or Origin.[/i]
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Gundam 00 was okay, but it doesn’t need continuing. It didn’t even need the movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Akamaru_Inu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I really hope it's accessible to us westerners! 00 was one of my big gateway series for getting me into more serious anime and I absolutely adore it.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Not the 00 follow up I expected, and it seems like it's mostly to sell new figures, but it could be fun enough.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:16 pm Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:

Depends on what they mean by it not being a "full anime." If it's just a handful of throwaway 5-minute shorts, I wouldn't be surprised if they're never officially seen outside of Asia. If it's something more substantial than that, maybe.

There's been a whopping two unionized anime dubs recorded in Vancouver since 2017. When the opportunities are that few and far between, only booking prelay work means little.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:36 pm Reply with quote
This is basically Gundam Evolve 00 Edition, it won't be the greatest in the franchise, but it won't be a stinker like Seed Destiny either and will turn out to at least be decent.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm not one to cry about CG, but I'm more curious/alarmed at what they could possibly do with the story? The movie was fine, if a little unnecessary, and I believe all the story threads were wrapped up. Even had a time-skip epilogue.
Zeino

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Could be good, could be a mostly empty nothing like the old Gundam Evolve shorts. I'd much prefer a sequel set after the movie to see how the setting changed. But honestly I'll take it as change of pace as opposed to...

penguintruth wrote:
Gundam 00 was okay, but it doesn’t need continuing. It didn’t even need the movie.

Don't throw stones in glass houses, Mr. "More UC is always good". Also 00 was much, much more than okayand Awaking of the Trailblazer was needed and happens to be the second best Gundam movie.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:58 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Imo even the 2nd season was too much, the whole "this death character is coming back as his own twin brother" is embarrassing even for 50 seasons soap opera.
SpiritSmoocher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Gundam 00 was heavily overrated by western audiences. Top credits like ANN and Kotaku pretty much said it wasn't worth watching. It was basically a mediocre zeta clone after season 1 and the movie had like no plot, and was all special effects. There is no surprise sunrise hasn't bothered making many 00 mgs of kits past season 1. Now hearing western people proclaim ibo as the greatest gundam series is just nauseating since that series was universally mocked in asia.

Anyways, i dont think this is anything to be excited at if it isnt a full anime nor movie. It be honestly better if they just made a side story manga.

Last edited by SpiritSmoocher on Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:02 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Imo even the 2nd season was too much, the whole "this death character is coming back as his own twin brother" is embarrassing even for 50 seasons soap opera.

While it is a lame trope, I feel they really subverted it by making them distinct, fleshed-out characters. I enjoyed them both and never saw Lyle as a replacement for Neil.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Seems to be 00's Igloo; more focused on the tech side than any actual narrative. Nice to see the Astraea Type-X make an appearance though. Wonder if that means Fon's still around and doing his antics pre-Season 2.

meiam wrote:

To be fair;spoiler[ Lyle was established incredibly early on in S1 (like, explicitly shown and everything) and didn't just come out of thin air. In fact; the two might as well be different characters despite the same look; almost like identical twins in real life. Heck, the 00 novels even go as far as to making Lyle a double agent for Katharon too which is how Shirin gets all of her CB info.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3