• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Maid I Hired Recently Is Mysterious

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alphonae

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:33 am Reply with quote
A maid Onee San who teases a young boy is Reirei's dream role.

Last edited by Alphonae on Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:27 am Reply with quote
With so little of the manga published in English I'm dying to know Lilith's back story and where this will be going.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:45 am Reply with quote
Rieri basically living her acting dream of voicing a busty, ara ara, onee-san whose love interest is a shota voiced by Saori Hayami.

This reminds me of Duke of Death and his Maid if the titular Duke was more aggressive. Yuuri also feels like if Raido from Aharen-san or Ayumu from "When will Ayumu make his move?" Had a kid voiced by Hayamin.
lemurs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:51 am Reply with quote
A couple of noteworthy points are that Lilith must have a deep connection to her young master given that she quit her old job and raced over seemingly as soon as she found out his parents had died, and that she's probably not that much older than he is given that she's still studying books on important maid-ly topics like cooking and housekeeping.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Fortunately for anime-onlys, the opening sequence shows a lot of spoile... er, I mean "information that those of us who were reading the manga as it came out didn't get initially", so you at least know there's a larger world outside of the mansion. In this case, the opening teasing some future developments works in the anime's favour since, in my opinion, the manga gets better once the supporting cast of characters are introduced and the focus is less on the single "Lilith teases Yuuri so Yuuri pulls an Uno reverse card on her" running gag.

The running gag was especially run into the ground in this case considering The Maid I Hired Recently is Mysterious started as a web manga before being serialized, and the serialization started the story over with longer chapters.

My initial impression of what was going on was that it was a spoiler[haunted mansion and Yuuri was a ghost, seeing as how he never seemed to leave the mansion grounds, he is very pale, and the name "Yuuri" itself could have been a twist on "Yuurei", the Japanese word for ghost (although it's more likely that both "Yuuri" and "Lilith" are twists on "Yuri", the Japanese word for lily) while Lilith was either a human who could see ghosts, a ghost herself, or even possibly a (benign) demon, considering her name is "Lilith" and also considering that she was created by the exact same woman who also created Jahy.]

(In the second chapter of the web manga, Lilith even revealed herself to be a spoiler["demon" only for the horns to turn out to have been part of a Halloween costume. Wakame Konbu probably wrote that chapter with the intent of preemptively shooting down any fan theories that Lilith is related to Jahy, although it could have been a reverse fake out where Lilith is a demon pretending to be a human pretending to be a demon, however, as the manga went on and, without spoiling anything, we find out more about Lilith, it seems less and less likely that she's supernatural.)]

My big hope with the anime adaptation is that we only get one more "Reverse Uno Card" episode at most and the supporting cast starts appearing in the third episode because I can imagine a lot of people bailing on this series if it adapts every single "Reverse Uno Card" chapter from the early part of the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:56 pm Reply with quote
lemurs wrote:
A couple of noteworthy points are that Lilith must have a deep connection to her young master given that she quit her old job and raced over seemingly as soon as she found out his parents had died
Raced over, but not before changing into a different maid outfit with more cleavage. The montage of her traveling was actually mostly her traveling to the wherever that maid outfit was, if you look at when her outfit changes.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I was looking forward to this, and I'll give this another episode or two, but I found the first to be pretty disappointing. The bit was repetitive and got tired fast and I'm not a big fan of Onee X Shota. I thought this would be more like Duke of Death where the two were closer in age or at least be pure comedy
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:56 am Reply with quote
^^I have the opposite reaction as I'm liking this more each episode and am glad I voted for this one. While some gags are getting a little over-used, there are signs that those will fade and new elements will come in soon, like other staff.
lemurs wrote:
A couple of noteworthy points are that Lilith must have a deep connection to her young master given that she quit her old job and raced over seemingly as soon as she found out his parents had died, and that she's probably not that much older than he is given that she's still studying books on important maid-ly topics like cooking and housekeeping.
The only question is what?" It seems like she is acting more like a mother or older sibling, but she gets way too flustered for the later. A "childhood friend" is a possibility but again, it seems she would have been a little old for him. However, the dossier picture of her in the library had her in the same maid outfit as presently, so I guess she was a maid there previously and so got the old uniform so he would remember her from then? Or is it a continuity slip-up? It's all a little suspicious...

BTW, I love the "I'm the master of the mansion" bit coming from an 8-10 year old. Very relatable though...
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:16 pm Reply with quote
The title for episode 3, spoiler["Tsukasa Gojouin is Precocious"], indicates that the supporting cast will indeed be introduced a little earlier compared to the manga, which is a relief because that's the point where the manga got more interesting (although I did enjoy the second episode of the anime more than the first).

spoiler[Tsukasa Gojouin reminds me a lot of Tomoyo Daidouji from Cardcaptor Sakura even though Tsukasa is more of a very supportive (girl) wingman to Yuuri instead of being infatuated by him the way Tomoyo is with Sakura. I presume that we'll also be meeting her butler Fujisaki in this episode.]

I also hope that Saori Hayami (who voices Yuuri) coming down with COVID-19 just as Rie Takahashi (who voices Lilith) is recovering from it doesn't mean that there will be a long break between new episodes later on in this series and I hope that Ms. Hayami gets well as quickly as Ms. Takahashi did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I also hope that Saori Hayami (who voices Yuuri) coming down with COVID-19 just as Rie Takahashi (who voices Lilith) is recovering from it doesn't mean that there will be a long break between new episodes later on in this series and I hope that Ms. Hayami gets well as quickly as Ms. Takahashi did.

Unfortunately, episode 3 is already delayed due to golf.

I wonder how long this anime block (called ANiMAZiNG!!!) will continue to cause scheduling issues in the future. Shikimori (which used the same block last season) started in the second week that most broadcasts tend to start and had two weeks off due to COVID. That is why Maid had such a late start. And now it's getting its own week off.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:08 pm Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:

Unfortunately, episode 3 is already delayed due to golf.

I was expecting that delay since the exact same delay due to the exact same golf tournament happened to Jahy-sama last August. Episode 3 would have had the voices recorded well before either main actress got COVID-19 anyway.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Is Lilith using her own finances to buy stuff for Yuuri? Given he wasn't particularly wealthy which is why he had to let the other servants go.

Also, now we have a Switch so...I guess this is modern day and the kid just owns an old western style mansion and fashion sense?

Yuuri is so direct and Lilith can barely hide her feelings at this point that they may as well already be hitched!
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:07 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:

Also, now we have a Switch so...I guess this is modern day and the kid just owns an old western style mansion and fashion sense?

I think that the culture of the rich elites of wherever this manga is set (the exact location is never fully specified as far as I remember but it seems to have elements of both Japan and Europe) is super conservative (which I mean more in the non-political sense) down to dressing the same way their great great grandparents dressed a century ago.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:12 pm Reply with quote
This show continues to deliver on it's top-tier female seiyuu talent. I mean, Yui Horie? Mikako Komatsu? And they're really adding a new layer of fun to the show.

I'm looking forward to finding out about Lilith's backstory.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3 review wrote:
Ignoring the question of how this kid is able to afford his own tuition when he can't even really afford people to look after him, it's clear that Yuuri has been through a lot.

As far as I remember, it's not explained in the manga so this isn't a spoiler but I strongly suspect that Yuuri's parents set up some kind of trust for him that at least pays for his tuition.

spoiler[Yuuri may also have a secret benefactor, I think some things about how Lilith came to live with him after his parents died, not to mention who is paying her, are about to be explained in full in the manga in the very next chapter so I'll spoiler this part.]

I like that Yuuri's favourite manga magazine seems to be "Monthly Maou-sama" featuring Maou from The Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3