• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Purchases Anime Retailer Right Stuf

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Worrying news.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Let's just cut to the part where everyone is owned by Genom.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I know the industry is consolidating but Shocked .

Streaming and licensing via Crunchyroll, dubs and distribution via Funimation, and now retailing via Right Stuf.

I will say, though, the part about removing the H products is disappointing. I'm sure that it's probably not "on brand" for Crunchyroll (or Sony given how they've operated with games for the last several years) but removing it from one of the few retailers that would still sell it isn't great. Heck, they made a point of picking up Interspecies Reviewers as the "too spicy for anyone else" property not long ago. When stuff was getting delisted on Amazon recently, they chimed in that Right Stuf had no problem continuing to sell those items. Honestly, it's pretty disappointing to see.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Man this shit sucks, only a matter of time before Sony buys Sentai and everything collapses
paulchaested

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I know the industry is consolidating but Shocked .

Streaming and licensing via Crunchyroll, dubs and distribution via Funimation, and now retailing via Right Stuf.

I will say, though, the part about removing the H products is disappointing. I'm sure that it's probably not "on brand" for Crunchyroll (or Sony given how they've operated with games for the last several years) but removing it from one of the few retailers that would still sell it isn't great. Heck, they made a point of picking up Interspecies Reviewers as the "too spicy for anyone else" property not long ago.

According to the FAQ, they're transferring all the 18+ to a new site called eroanimestore.com. Not sure if it's operated by Rightstuf or if it's completely independent.
Madaniel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:35 pm Reply with quote
So now Sony owns a company that licenses hentai?

I wonder what will happen to Critical Mass
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Not sure how to feel about this. I think I’d have preferred if Right Stuf had remained neutral. But CR/Sony’s got deep pockets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:40 pm Reply with quote
paulchaested wrote:
According to the FAQ, they're transferring all the 18+ to a new site called eroanimestore.com. Not sure if it's operated by Rightstuf or if it's completely independent.

Thanks for the info. I'm guessing it will be operated by them, but in a "We don't talk about it" way. The way the FAQ is written, they sure are careful to phrase it like it's a separate retailer, but it's awfully convenient that an unknown retailer just happens to be right there ready to pick it up from here. Better than dropping it entirely, I guess, but I can also see it negatively affecting sales because it's not a readily visible to customers.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
NikamiYuhara

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:42 pm Reply with quote
paulchaested wrote:

The EroAnimeStore website updated, but it is hard for me to tell if it is an independent company.
Kicksville

MagicPolly wrote:
Man this shit sucks, only a matter of time before Sony buys Sentai and everything collapses

They'd have to buy Sentai from AMC, who only just acquired them a few months ago. Or buy AMC.
Aresef

This is disturbing and disappointing. TRSI is one of the great old school anime companies and had a good niche for itself putting out niche products like Zetsubou-Sensei and big things like Gundam. I hope Shawne Kleckner will continue to play some kind of role.

Sure is gonna be weird for a company now 95% owned by Sony to be distributing a marquee Sunrise property. But in just the span of a few years, Sony has consumed most of the anime industry in the US and internationally. We gotta keep supporting the Discoteks and Media Blasters and AnimEigos of the world.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:43 pm Reply with quote
From the Great Resignation to the Great Consolidation

Viz Media (anime)
GKIDS
Discotek

if enough $$$ is flashed by Sony, will all of them sell out?!
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I am...not liking this. I've been a RightStuf customer for over 15 years now, and have always had a great experience with them. The last thing I want is to see them gobbled up by a massive conglomerate.
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:45 pm Reply with quote
It's frustrating they couldn't have the EroAnimeStore ready before they made this decision. Their own FAQ says to turn to EroAnimeStore for more info, yet all their site is able to offer is a "coming soon" graphic.

Also, interesting that both the censored and adult versions of The Titan's Bride were removed from the catalog.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
merr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Ugh. This is not good news.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 15