• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Switch Console Crosses 122.55 Million Units in Sales; Surpasses PS4, Game Boy in All-

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:25 am Reply with quote
It's incredible to see the Switch in third place of the best-selling consoles of all time, maybe there's even a chance it could reach 150 million, but that depends if Nintendo can continue to generate interest in the console, we'll see in tomorrow's Direct if there will be any surprises.
I was confident that the Switch was going to sell quite wel when it was revealed, but my expectations were in the 80 million range, not like others who thought this was going to be a huge flop, I wonder where those people are now
Dnautics

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:59 pm Reply with quote
That's good to hear. I play mainly JRPG's and the JRPG releases on the Switch have been plentiful. Handheld mode is also awesome. The graphics are adequate for most of the games I play. I don't need 144fps and 4k video to have a good time.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Dnautics wrote:
That's good to hear. I play mainly JRPG's and the JRPG releases on the Switch have been plentiful. Handheld mode is also awesome. The graphics are adequate for most of the games I play. I don't need 144fps and 4k video to have a good time.
Yeah same here. While I like high fps and graphics I've noticed diminishing returns at 4K. 2K/1440p seems to be the sweet spot and depending on the person fps can be a fickle thing. The Switch has been my favorite console since the GCN and that's mostly due to me playing some great ports of both indie games and remasters (looking forward to Story of Seasons: A Wonderful Life).
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:18 pm Reply with quote
That’s a lot of Switch’s. I can chalk it up to a few factors, that this is both Nintendo’s handheld AND home console, so no split priorities, the notorious shortages of their next Gen competitors, and you know, good games.

Good games sell units and thankfully the system has plenty of good, fun games.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Dnautics wrote:
I don't need 144fps and 4k video to have a good time.

I mean no console as far as I know can hit 144 FPS but it would be nice if all Switch games specifically the Nintendo developed games could at least hit 60 at the default and stay at that consistently instead of dipping into the 30’s and below.

But of course gotta go for the cheap stuff to make the system reasonably affordable while also asking consumers to spend 50 dollars on games released more than 5 years ago and never on sale for lower than 30 dollars even from retail chains.

But don’t worry we’re introducing a new voucher system where you purchase vouchers for 99 dollars that you can redeem on a select set of games which is basically the same as if you bought the games in question outright from the storefront or a retail outlet.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Dnautics wrote:

This is what happens when you have Nintendo's handheld and console teams working on the same hardware for the first time in decades. The Switch has never really had an off year even when accounting for first party.
Kaoru G

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:46 am Reply with quote
Good to be one of those who bought it!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1