• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yes! Precure 5, Maho Girls Precure! Series Both Get Sequel Anime for Grown-Ups

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albion Hero

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what exactly it means that its being aimed at adults. Will it be lewder? Or is the story going to be darker? I'm interested to see how this goes.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I never would've seen this coming Shocked Seeing older cures in new movies and specials? Sure, nothing new there. Getting proper continuations of older seasons with the characters grown-up? And aimed at adults too? Colour me surprised.

Last edited by Everlasting Coconut on Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I am very curious what staff will be involved in these projects or if Toei plans on letting some other studio animate them like Studio DEEN for Sailor Moon or Studio KAI for that Kamen Rider W sequel. Though if the Maho Tsukai Precure sequel is aimed for older viewers, I wonder if they're willing to show Mira and Riko to be more than just best friends.spoiler[ I remember seeing an official manga page where Mira actually kissed Riko!] Surprised

On another note, I also wonder if this going to bump the chances for Yes 5! and Maho Tsukai of getting picked up by Crunchyroll.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Out of all the Precure shows to get sequels, I wasn't expecting it to be Yes Precure 5 and Maho Girls but I hope this means the originals will eventually be added to Crunchyroll. Now what about a new sequel to Futari wa?
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Nice pick for Mahoutsukai as it was among the ones which felt the most unfinished for me, there were so much more potential, i am happy for this sequel.

Now for Yes 5 I'm on the fence, , the first season was in my top 3 for a while until Star twinkle finally replaced it while the second in my worst 3 but it looks like it won't get as many importance and maybe shorter than the other sequel so wait and see, if I had to choose from the earliest generations I would have chosen Splash Star without hesitation
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:40 pm Reply with quote
If the Maho Girls sequel focuses on the relationship between Mirai and Liko, maybe it'll actually be interesting unlike the original show.

And no surprise about Yes5. Probably one of the most obvious choices for grown audiences given how much they can lean on drama with Nozomi x Coco, Komachi x Nuts, and Urara x Syrup.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:52 pm Reply with quote
By the way the next precure in Hirogaru Sky! is 18 so maybe her existence has some kind of link to this announcement as she is the first adult in a regular roster, considering last week episode preview it doesn't seem like she will join the team this week though.
PipimiOden

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:01 am Reply with quote
Never in my life would I have guessed there would be precure sequels aimed at adults for the 20th anniversary lol
Ming Yi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:27 am Reply with quote
Albion Hero wrote:
I wonder what exactly it means that its being aimed at adults. Will it be lewder? Or is the story going to be darker? I'm interested to see how this goes.

It will probably deal with more relatable topics for adults.

Looking for Magical Doremi was aimed at adult Doremi fans that grew up with the series and it was neither of those themes mentioned.
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:22 am Reply with quote
Surprised Futari wa didn't get the adult age nostalgia series, since that seems like the most obvious choice for the 20th anniversary. But I'm not complaining about Yes! 5 being shown some love, especially if it leads to Crunchyroll streaming Yes! 5 and GoGo. Razz

As for Mahou Tsukai 2, I'm not too enthused considering I couldn't even finish the original series. Anime smile + sweatdrop But I'm happy for its fans and hope it turns out well.
Slips Python

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:41 am Reply with quote
Ming Yi wrote:
Looking for Magical Doremi was aimed at adult Doremi fans that grew up with the series and it was neither of those themes mentioned.

It was also a 'real life' story about people who grew up with the show, not a movie about the characters as adults which was disappointing. So I hope this is an actual older version like we've been getting with Kamen Rider and Super Sentai.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:18 am Reply with quote
I think these days when mentioning a Magical Girl Anime series for grown ups, let’s just say you need to elaborate on that. Like is it Madoka level? Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya level? Plus there is the many other kinds of Magical Girl series that have come out in recent years for older fans that are not what you call kid friendly.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:16 am Reply with quote
Hot diggity dog!
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:25 am Reply with quote
This is definitely unexpected in a good way...though I'm not as happy to learn that the seasons getting these are the two seasons that I really don't like for different reasons. But hey, if you like those seasons and want to see more of them, good for you! Also, are these going to be full-on series, OVAs, or movies?
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:40 am Reply with quote
I still find it weird how they're going with Mahou Tsukai instead of Futari wa. I know fans really liked to ship Mirai and Riko, but I never got the impression that Mahou Tsukai was particularly popular, whereas Futari wa has the shipping factor and the popularity going for it
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3