• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Goblin Slayer Console Game's Promo Video Reveals Winter Release

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:15 am Reply with quote
Looks solid, might get this one.
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:10 am Reply with quote
Lol "Conan"
For those who don't read the novels, spoiler[she's the series' Hero, who is the strongest character in the world who beat the Demon Lord. She's wearing her novice disguise.]
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Lol "Conan"
For those who don't read the novels, spoiler[she's the series' Hero, who is the strongest character in the world who beat the Demon Lord. She's wearing her novice disguise.]

Lol yeah but I'm curious as to why that name in particular
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:07 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
Juno016 wrote:
Lol "Conan"

Goblin Slayer has very, very heavy references to influencial fantasy media throughout the books. The Dungeon of the Dead is based on a famous Wizardry dungeon of the same name and its inner mechanics work similarly, Goblin Slayer's world itself is based on D&D, with several creatures derived from it, Rhea are based on Lord of the Ring's Hobbits (and Goblin Slayer's Rhea mentor seems to have a history similar to Bilbo Baggins), while elves and dwarves often dislike each other, or High Elf will sing LotR songs, etc. There are characters who refer to schools similar to those in Earthsea and Hero herself actually is posed in an illustration in volume 7 based on the cover of DOOM. And so on and so forth.

Likewise, the author has mentioned having a partiality toward Conan the Barbarian in the past, so while I can't remember any other references to it, this seems to check out, based on Hero's role.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:08 pm Reply with quote
That's cool that they created a whole distinct cast with A-list VA's and distinctive designs to carry this spinoff game.

I'm assuming you can recruit Goblin Slayer and his party at some point in the game but it's still pretty interesting.
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
GhostD wrote:
Juno016 wrote:
Lol "Conan"

Goblin Slayer has very, very heavy references to influencial fantasy media throughout the books. The Dungeon of the Dead is based on a famous Wizardry dungeon of the same name and its inner mechanics work similarly, Goblin Slayer's world itself is based on D&D, with several creatures derived from it, Rhea are based on Lord of the Ring's Hobbits (and Goblin Slayer's Rhea mentor seems to have a history similar to Bilbo Baggins), while elves and dwarves often dislike each other, or High Elf will sing LotR songs, etc. There are characters who refer to schools similar to those in Earthsea and Hero herself actually is posed in an illustration in volume 7 based on the cover of DOOM. And so on and so forth.

Likewise, the author has mentioned having a partiality toward Conan the Barbarian in the past, so while I can't remember any other references to it, this seems to check out, based on Hero's role.

Im quite familiar with many of the LoTR references but I was never much of a D&D guy as it wasnt common in my country when I was a kid so most of it went over my head even though Im well aware that the world is D&D based. I was wondering if there was more to it than simply a Conan the Barbarian reference but I guess that was it. One of the best references I read in the novel outside of the norm was when GS mentioned casting Firebolt 70 times which was a shoutout to the GS crossover in the Danmachi Memoria Freese game. Not sure if that was how it was written in the original Japanese or if Yen Press slipped that in as an easter egg
ranran-001

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:15 pm Reply with quote
A tactical turnbased strategy rpg? I was hoping more for an action hack n slash where you go in as Goblin Slayer and wreck shit against a horde of goblins and other creatures.
XSp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Odd choice for genre... I don't mind the pixelated sprites, but tactical turn based RPG instead of.... well, almost any other action genre. Platformer, FPS, 3rd person action RPG, dungeon crawler, perhaps even an isometric action RPG, or a roguelike....
I imagine the absolute perfect choice would be a soulslike, but perhaps asking for too much.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:01 am Reply with quote
XSp wrote:
Odd choice for genre... I don't mind the pixelated sprites, but tactical turn based RPG instead of.... well, almost any other action genre. Platformer, FPS, 3rd person action RPG, dungeon crawler, perhaps even an isometric action RPG, or a roguelike....
I imagine the absolute perfect choice would be a soulslike, but perhaps asking for too much.

It's not what I expected as far as genre goes, since I was expecting a cheap cash-in like most licensed games. But a Strategy RPG makes more sense than almost anything else. I saw a previous ANN article guess that this would be a Musou-type game, but that runs contrary to one of the main concepts of the series, which is to make the lowest and weakest monster into a significant threat that can easily destroy you if you underestimate it or make a single misstep. Goblin Slayer is all about tackling insurmountable odds with intelligent strategies and creative uses of items and spells.

Which actually does lend itself well to a Soulslike, which is where I was hoping this would go. But after the intro chapters, the series moves very quickly away from Goblin Slayer being this lone menace and starts to lean heavily into the party dynamics, with each character bringing their own unique skills for GS to strategize with. And that fits perfectly into a strategy RPG. So while I definitely wasn't expecting this genre, it's probably the perfect one for the series.
XSp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:49 am Reply with quote
Yeah, that does make a bit of sense, and I also agree with you on the chances of it being a cheap cash-in... but I thought about soulslike not so much because of the story per se, but mostly because of the mood. xD The oppressive mood of Dark Souls more specifically.
That's also why I didn't consider musou, though it did pop in my head... Most musou games are open world, very "free", players being overpowered.

To fit the mood, the game should be kinda claustrophobic, harsh, high stakes and tortuously difficult. Well, at least that's the vibe that Goblin Slayer gives me, might be different for others. But I'm also not sure if it fits having multiple players for a souslike.

One way or another, at least it's not a gatcha game.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:22 pm Reply with quote
XSp wrote:
To fit the mood, the game should be kinda claustrophobic, harsh, high stakes and tortuously difficult. Well, at least that's the vibe that Goblin Slayer gives me, might be different for others. But I'm also not sure if it fits having multiple players for a souslike.

One way or another, at least it's not a gatcha game.

Thank god it's not a gacha game. Lol

I wouldn't say those words necessarily represent GS's world well. It's most accurate to consider it a tabletop game story, where combat is rather slow and thoughtful, where goblins and rats and such really aren't a huge threat, but the roll of the dice can cause fatal blunders, just as you can land a perfect roll and come out way on top. The first chapter/episode, and some of the more controversial interludes in the early novels, do show the brutality of the world at its worst in order to set up the stakes, but as time goes on, you realize that nonetheless, the rolls of the dice are fair to all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1