• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: LiSA Enters the Spider-Verse for Japan-Exclusive Theme Song, Jacket Art

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Makes one wonder if, to carry the whole multiverse aspect, the Japanese dub might also include the theme song TM Revolution did for Spider-Man 2's Japanese dub back in 2004, "Web of Night", at least as a BG music cameo somewhere.
kuma991

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 4:22 pm Reply with quote
How is "beloved artist" and "powerful vocals" objective reporting? I don't love her, and her vocals are far from powerful, even for Japanese standards.
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 4:41 pm Reply with quote
kuma991 wrote:
How is "beloved artist" and "powerful vocals" objective reporting? I don't love her, and her vocals are far from powerful, even for Japanese standards.

And? The article should only fit what you deem worthy? Most people do love her, which therefore earns the title of "beloved artist" well. Or do you really think you yourself not liking her suddenly makes the entire statement invalid?
Aster97

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 4:41 pm Reply with quote
damn now i wanna see the japanese dub
FeelMyBlade

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 4:49 pm Reply with quote
The original Spider-Verse did poorly in Japan so I guess they want to try to drum up more interest this time with a popular collabs. Although from the trailer and news it looks like it's focusing on the worst aspects of the original film people criticized in Japan (Miles and Gwen) so I don't know how well it'll work.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Can't beat an original LiSA theme? Or anime LiSA!
FeelMyBlade wrote:
The original Spider-Verse did poorly in Japan so I guess they want to try to drum up more interest this time with a popular collabs. Although from the trailer and news it looks like it's focusing on the worst aspects of the original film people criticized in Japan (Miles and Gwen) so I don't know how well it'll work.

I did not know that, nor that JP audiences didn't like Miles and Gwen.
Slips Python

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 8:05 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I did not know that, nor that JP audiences didn't like Miles and Gwen.

From what I recall the film didn't have much success internationally in general. But to be fair it's not like it did amazing in America either. It exists in that odd niche market of animation that isn't traditional kids animated films but will never get the reverence or appeal that live-action films do. No Way Home had a similar gimmick of multi-verse Spider-Man and it made way more money and got a lot more fame. And it was never going to do Dreamworks/Disney/Pixar/Illumination numbers to compete with those films. But it did well enough for a sequel.

As far as the characters go it seems like a sentiment I see everywhere. People love Peter Parker, but Miles and Gwen aren't as well received but are still pretty much shoehorned into everything Spider-Man these days because they're trying to push the whole 'Spider-Family' thing so people who just want just Spider-Man are kind of out of luck.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 8:14 pm Reply with quote
FeelMyBlade wrote:
Although from the trailer and news it looks like it's focusing on the worst aspects of the original film people criticized in Japan (Miles and Gwen) so I don't know how well it'll work.

I don’t know why that comes as a shock when Miles is the central protagonist of the Spider-Verse films.

Slips Python wrote:
As far as the characters go it seems like a sentiment I see everywhere. People love Peter Parker, but Miles and Gwen aren't as well received

Pretty sure if this were true Marvel would’ve stopped using them ages ago. Comic publishers Marvel included have shown a willingness to get rid of characters that aren’t typically popular.

Slips Python wrote:
but are still pretty much shoehorned into everything Spider-Man these days because they're trying to push the whole 'Spider-Family' thing so people who just want just Spider-Man are kind of out of luck.

So Ben Reilly, Kaine, & Miguel O Hara haven’t been used on and off for that purpose prior to Gwen & Miles coming into everything?

As for people who want just Peter as Spider-Man let’s see

You have

- The Disney and Sam Raimi Spider-Man films
- The PS4/PS5 Spider-Man game
- A bunch of old and current Spider-Man cartoons which would include Marvel’s Spider-Man on Disney

I don’t know who’re these people who think that Marvel has a dislike of Peter as Spider-Man but I’m here to tell you that’s this isn’t true. Now disliking Peter fans? Debatable
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 9:41 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Pretty sure if this were true Marvel would’ve stopped using them ages ago. Comic publishers Marvel included have shown a willingness to get rid of characters that aren’t typically popular.

Actually, there's a lot of characters that do not sell well at all that continue to be promoted and published solely because they're either a creator's pet project or for other outside reasons. Sales and popularity don't actually matter in comic books much due to their non-returnable nature meaning they don't actually make their money based off how many issues a comic sells. For example, despite her books selling only a few thousand copies for the longest time Kamala Khan was kept around because Sana Amanat her co-creator had a lead editorial position at Marvel. She certainly wouldn't be the first character you'd pick have the starring role of a AAA game like Avengers or a Disney+ show if you went off popularity alone. She is being 'killed off' in the comics soon, but a lot of people are speculating that's just to revive her to retcon her to be more like her MCU counterpart which is a fate a lot of Marvel characters have gotten. Either way, it's certainly not going to stick around or being done to put the character to rest.

Quote:
As for people who want just Peter as Spider-Man let’s see

You have

- The Disney and Sam Raimi Spider-Man films
- The PS4/PS5 Spider-Man game
- A bunch of old and current Spider-Man cartoons which would include Marvel’s Spider-Man on Disney

The PlayStation Spider-Man game has Miles in it, or at least the Remaster/DLC did. Also the sequel they announced today is very Miles-focused as well. I assume he'll show up in the MCU soon if he hasn't already. But I don't think pointing out older media made before Miles and Gwen were created is proving much of a point, though. I assume those people want new media to consume, not just older media.

I do think it's fair to say Marvel mistreats Peter Parker though. I don't keep up with Spider-Man much anymore though but One More Day was 16 years ago at this point. I heard he got actually cucked in the comics recently which is kind of funny.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 7:42 am Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
Actually, there's a lot of characters that do not sell well at all that continue to be promoted and published solely because they're either a creator's pet project or for other outside reasons.

Maybe but I don’t see anyone complaining about/alluding to She-Hulk being shoved down throats despite having multiple canceled solo titles and effectively being a hanger on because of it.

Fedora-san wrote:
The PlayStation Spider-Man game has Miles in it, or at least the Remaster/DLC did.

You play as Miles & Mary Jane in stealth segments but otherwise you play roughly 97% of the game as Peter.

Fedora-san wrote:
Also the sequel they announced today is very Miles-focused as well.

I specifically excluded that given the heavy deuteragonistic setup of the game’s story.

Fedora-san wrote:
But I don't think pointing out older media made before Miles and Gwen were created is proving much of a point, though. I assume those people want new media to consume, not just older media.

That’s part of my point, the newer media for the most part isn’t going to go back to the old school and just focus entirely on Peter from start to finish. It’s going to involve his extensive supportive cast who may or may not wind up sharing equal focus in whatever media that comes out. It’s like expecting a new take on Batman to not feature his partners or key members of his Rogues Gallery like the Joker.

So you might as well just stick to the older stuff

Fedora-san wrote:
I do think it's fair to say Marvel mistreats Peter Parker though.

Compared to Ben Reilly who’s currently a supervillain because of some weird nonsense and Kaine who largely only shows up whenever the Spider-Verse is endangered. Peter is treated somewhat better yes they continue to do tired shit like having him struggle financially and can’t seem to figure out what to do with his romantic life both of which have been apart of the character’s history for decades but it could be much worse.

Fedora-san wrote:
I don't keep up with Spider-Man much anymore though but One More Day was 16 years ago at this point. I heard he got actually cucked in the comics recently which is kind of funny.

Whoever told you that doesn’t know what that word means. Long and short of it is that Peter, Mary Jane & some guy wind up in a post apocalyptic future. Peter is able to get back to the past but Mary Jane & the dude wind up getting stuck behind in the future. By the time Peter is able to go back to save Mary Jane four years have passed in the time her and the other guy get together, they also find some kids they adopted together.

Peter more or less accepts this and moves on with Black Cat (unless that’s predictably changed at some point). That’s not to say this is superbly written stuff mind you but context matters. It’ll also be disregarded/retconned before too long just like Doctor Octavius stint as a Peter Clone or Harry coming back to life.

Status Quo won’t be denied annoying as it is.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Thu May 25, 2023 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 8:25 am Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
For example, despite her books selling only a few thousand copies for the longest time Kamala Khan was kept around because Sana Amanat her co-creator had a lead editorial position at Marvel.

In physical sales, yes. In digital sales, from what I’ve seen, Marvel Comics doesn’t post digital numbers, but the Ms. Marvel comic, at least the original run from the creator, was reported to sell quite well digitally. Which makes sense, the book appeals more to the younger generation (at least generally, I’m a 36 year old guy who enjoys it because I find Kamala quite charming and fun to follow) who probably buy more digitally than physically.

Actually, I heard the physical sales for Ms. Marvel truly went down around the Civil War 2 crossover issues. Which says less about the popularity of the character, and more about a lesson DC and Marvel are long overdue to learn: let a good event series stand on its own and stop forcing solo series to connect to it especially if it halts the solo’s story and/or doesn’t fit the solo’s tone (needless to say, suddenly having Carol Danvers show up and essentially pressure Kamala into a sequence of events that destroyed half her friendships was extremely jarring for me as it was a fairly upbeat series before that).
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 1:00 am Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:

I do think it's fair to say Marvel mistreats Peter Parker though. I don't keep up with Spider-Man much anymore though but One More Day was 16 years ago at this point. I heard he got actually cucked in the comics recently which is kind of funny.
Peter Parker has starred in 8 live action films and dozens of animated series, been in several crossover MCU films, and he's even in the Spider-Verse movies or at least one version of him anyway and they've already greenlit even more Tom Holland movies. So I don't get where people are thinking Marvel is treating Peter Parker badly or there's not enough content of him.
TokimekiCrisis

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 3:42 am Reply with quote
doctordoom wrote:
On physical sales, yes. In digital sales, from what I’ve seen, Marvel Comics doesn’t post digital numbers, but the Ms. Marvel comic, at least the original run from the creator, was reported to sell quite well digitally. Which makes sense, the book appeals more to the younger generation (at least generally, I’m a 36 year old guy who enjoys it because I find Kamala quite charming and fun to follow) who probably buy more digitally than physically.

Only about 8% of the comic market is digital and it's even less than that if we only look at superhero comics. But personally I would take anything comic book companies say with a grain of salt these days. It would certainly be convenient that all the low-selling titles just so happen to do well digitally and there's no numbers anyone can look at to dispute the claim. The fact it's always apparently these books that suffer in physical sales but the other YA and kid focused comics from other companies sell well in the physical market would certainly be an interesting case study to find out why that is if it was true.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Peter Parker has starred in 8 live action films and dozens of animated series, been in several crossover MCU films, and he's even in the Spider-Verse movies or at least one version of him anyway and they've already greenlit even more Tom Holland movies. So I don't get where people are thinking Marvel is treating Peter Parker badly or there's not enough content of him.

I think the fact you completely ignored the actual Spider-Man comic books kind of says a lot. Not to mention people keep bringing up media made over a decade ago and are not talking about actual current stuff being made right now. Although I'd argue the current MCU is also pretty trash and handled Peter very poorly by turning him into Iron Man Jr. But that's probably just an extension of really wanting Peter Parker to be young and hating the idea of him growing older. I mean, even people have pointed out how Across the Spider-Vers is letting Peter have a family and acknowledging Mayday while Marvel Comics themselves seems to just be so against the idea of Peter being a family man. All the while manga like Spy x Family outsell the entire Marvel library and they'll learn nothing from it.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 6:42 am Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Actually, there's a lot of characters that do not sell well at all that continue to be promoted and published solely because they're either a creator's pet project or for other outside reasons. Sales and popularity don't actually matter in comic books much due to their non-returnable nature meaning they don't actually make their money based off how many issues a comic sells.

American comic books are only non-returnable in the direct market (such as traditional comic stores). For example, that does not apply to general bookstores and much of graphic novel sales.

Quote:
For example, despite her books selling only a few thousand copies for the longest time Kamala Khan

Citation please. How many "floppy" single issues a comic series sells in the direct market is balanced (or outweighed) by how much a series' graphic novels sell in general bookstores and elsewhere.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think the fact you completely ignored the actual Spider-Man comic books kind of says a lot. Not to mention people keep bringing up media made over a decade ago and are not talking about actual current stuff being made right now. Although I'd argue the current MCU is also pretty trash and handled Peter very poorly by turning him into Iron Man Jr. But that's probably just an extension of really wanting Peter Parker to be young and hating the idea of him growing older. I mean, even people have pointed out how Across the Spider-Vers is letting Peter have a family and acknowledging Mayday while Marvel Comics themselves seems to just be so against the idea of Peter being a family man. All the while manga like Spy x Family outsell the entire Marvel library and they'll learn nothing from it.
Whether people like the current direction of the comics is moving the goalpost from claiming Marvel is more heavily favoring Miles over Peter. You’re also ignoring that Sony has already greenlit more Tom Holland movies and Peter is still the main character in modern Spider-Man animated shows on Disney X-D. Peter was the main character in an animated show on Disney in 2017 and No Way Home was 2021 unless you’re now arguing two years ago is now a decade old. People have been using the Iron Man Jr talking point since the start of the Tom Holland movies but those still made a billion dollars for Sony so clearly the average superhero fan doesn’t care that much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2