• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 3rd Annual Seiyū Award Winners Revealed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dimlos

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Despite how I feel about Rie Kugimiya (as a VA, not as a person), it's not really surprising that she'd win something. I mean, she is hugely popular after all, even outside of Japan (within the "subbie" niche, anyway).
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
I AGREEEEEEEEEE!!! I'm happy that Kamiya and Inoue got awards!! If only they would come to an American anime-con (like Otakon)! I love them in Natsume Yuujinchou!

YEAH!! I would LOVE for them to come to an American convention (on the west coast please X.D). Not sure if it's possible though, especially Kamiya, since he's such a busy guy.

I think I voted for Inoue for subchara too, haha. Nyanko sensei~~ Natsume Yuujinchou is a WONDERFUL series. I hope it gets licensed. The manga has already so hopefully the series is next!!

I hope they release a DVD for this year too! I'd totally buy it~
Splash

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Omggggg, congrats Kamiyan and Kugimiya-san <3 ~ That with Kazuhiko Inoue is definitely a Natsume Yuujinchou influence ne. xDDDD
And glad to see Sugitan on there too~ JunJun got a pretty fitting award. XDDD

What happened to the international award?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Splash wrote:
What happened to the international award?

Quote:
The remaining winners, including the one for the first overseas award category, will be announced on Saturday.

Wink

Since seiyuu aren't as popular in the English-speaking world, I think this award would definitely be a popularity contest. I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Hirano won.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Good to see an old-schooler like Kazuhiko Inoue in there.
Been a fan of his since Machine Robo: Revenge of Cronos.
Joichiro Nishi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm sick of Fukuyama's hype. He is too limited as a seiyuu and when he tried to be serious, his voice is ridiculous. He isn't even talented as a comedian, his "funny" voice is annoying. Rie Kugimiya is just another overrated seiyuu.

PD: Tomokazu Sugita looks badass in that picture.
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Hiroshi Kamiya for what? Rie Kugimiya for what?

Okay, the latter's obvious, but still, can we find out what performance was award-winning?... or did they just win because of who they are?
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:51 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
Mysticmidnightmaiden wrote:
Kugimiya may get typecast a lot, but you gotta admit she practically set the standard for tsundere voices. And, when she's not pigeon-holed, she's got a pretty decent range to boot.

I don't have a great ear for voices, but it still amazes me when I discover her in a role sometimes. I wouldn't have recognized her as Misaki in Kemeko DX, though she stole every one of her scenes. She can assume a persona and develop a unique voice with the best of them. I thought she was type-cast as the tsundere until I looked at her credits and watched other shows.

Her performance in Toradora! is almost eerie, like I feel with Robert De Niro sometimes (Awakenings). She's taken another lead tsundere role, with her 3 top roles still playing or popular (and the unfortunate Akane-Iro ni Somaru Saka makes 5), and created an entirely unique character--a truly different person from all her other roles. Past the first 3 or 4 episodes, I never heard--or I lost awareness of--Louise or Shana in her voice. Given the writing is so superb, still Taiga is distinctly herself and barely resembles a tsundere at all now. I like all her characters to some degree, but Taiga has taken solid first place. She is at the top of her game.

And, we have more Nagi coming soon!

Not just Nagi...rumors are flying rapidly that Shana will come this Fall. You honestly cannot beat Kugimiya. If you ask me, Aya Hirano wouldn't have won last year if it weren't for Lucky Star and Haruhi backing her. Not to mention Death Note. This year really did not give her many good roles....plus her health condition early last year.

Quote:
Hiroshi Kamiya for what? Rie Kugimiya for what?

Latter is not obvious.....see my first post in this thread of how many roles she played this year. I've managed to boil it down to three or so. Kamiya I boiled down to two I believe either Natsume Yuujinchou or Gundam. Leaning towards the former since Tieria is not a very "interesting" character.

Quote:
I'm sick of Fukuyama's hype. He is too limited as a seiyuu and when he tried to be serious, his voice is ridiculous. He isn't even talented as a comedian, his "funny" voice is annoying. Rie Kugimiya is just another overrated seiyuu.

<_< DENIED! Razz Though if you replaced Rie Kugimiya with Nana Mizuki I wouldn't mind Anime hyper or Fukuyama with Mamoru Miyano, then again Miyano won last year as Setsuna.
mufurc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Kamiya I boiled down to two I believe either Natsume Yuujinchou or Gundam. Leaning towards the former since Tieria is not a very "interesting" character.

However, Tieira has about a hundred times more fans than Natsume. I'm quite sure that this role won Kamiya got the award.

Joichiro Nishi wrote:
I'm sick of Fukuyama's hype. He is too limited as a seiyuu and when he tried to be serious, his voice is ridiculous.

He was wonderful in Gankutsuou, though. I wouldn't say he's limited, he's just... dunno, stuck in stereotypes. Or he doesn't even try. Plus look at his recent roles - it's not like a role like Lelouch is not an invitation to stop acting and just ham it up like there's no tomorrow.

(Now Miyano Mamoru, he is someone I consider overrated, though maybe it's because he hasn't shown anything great recently. He was good as Kiba and brilliant as Tamaki, but he sounded exactly the same in every role after Ouran. I quite liked him in Kurozuka, though, that was a nice surprise.)
mike_s_6

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:27 pm Reply with quote
First of all, I'm very happy with Kamiya and Nakajima!

May'n was probably not in the nominee list because she's not a voice actress in a sense that she doesn't talk in the series. She just provides the singing voice.

As for Kamiya, he got the Lead Role award in this one, so which of his lead roles got him the award? Even though he's popular for Tieria, this isn't lead role, and doesn't show his range either. Did Zetsubou Sensei have a release this year?
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure Kamiya won for Natsume Yuujinchou. They usually list more than one series though and last year when Kamiya won the sub character award, Tieria was listed as one of the roles. So was Itoshiki Nozomu even though Zetsubou sensei is the title character...
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Oh I like Rie Kugiyama. Even when she's not being a tsundere.Yay for Kamiya..
Quote:
So was Itoshiki Nozomu even though Zetsubou sensei is the title character...

That's because Japanese otaku like to pretend that their favorite female character is the most important all the time...

Also outside of Kyon, Tomokazu Sugita is terribly underrated.

Aya Hirano isn't really a good actress and if it weren't for Haruhi and Lucky Star no one would even care about her too much. Misa only usually gets a passing mention when talking about Death Note, people would rather talk about Light and L and when everyone thinks of Reira from NANA they think of OLIVIA singing Rolling Eyes

I want Nana Mizuki to be automatically recognized every year Very Happy and I have a huge bias in Jun Fukuyama's favor so no comment there.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:21 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:

Also outside of Kyon, Tomokazu Sugita is terribly underrated.

Hmm... Not in my circle he ain't.
At a certain seiyuu-centric forum I frequent, Sugita's rather popular, though perhaps a little more for his weird personality than his acting, haha. (One of his hobbies is editing AVs and turning them into MADs, for example, LoL!!) But no, we enjoy his acting too. No one can replace him as Gintoki!!!
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:17 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2, I agree with you. I'm so happy that Gintama is going on for a forth season, and I get to hear more of Sugita and Rie Kugiyama!!!

Does anyone else find it hysterical that Sugita has "Zangetsu" in his email address? Like a true fanboy! Laughing
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:35 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
I don't have a great ear for voices, but it still amazes me when I discover her in a role sometimes. I wouldn't have recognized her as Misaki in Kemeko DX, though she stole every one of her scenes. She can assume a persona and develop a unique voice with the best of them. I thought she was type-cast as the tsundere until I looked at her credits and watched other shows.

Oh, I loved her role in Kemeko DX! It was so different from everything else she's done, and she handled it so well, it was a real treat to watch. One tends to think of Kugimiya as being typcast, but that's only because she does so many tsundere. In fact, I fell in love with her voice watching Utawareru Mono, where her main role is decidedly non-tsundere, and in this same series she demonstrates her versatility doing a very different (and sexy) voice for Mutsumi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3