• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Jin and the Dragonauts

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loka

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:33 am Reply with quote
for someone who considered Full Metal Panic and Spice & Wolf not good enough for Shelf Worthy, I am shocked to see Bamboo Blade up there. wow.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:58 am Reply with quote
loka wrote:
for someone who considered Full Metal Panic and Spice & Wolf not good enough for Shelf Worthy, I am shocked to see Bamboo Blade up there. wow.

I'll admit, Bamboo Blade isn't the best sports show, but the anime is much better than the manga. But two slight turn offs are that the cast is mostly women and the "battles" just exciting enough to watch, but not really be that exciting.

Because I was vague, I'll explain further. Yes its nice to women have nice strong roles, but guys usually just even out the series a little bit. I know there are two supporting male characters (Yuji and Dan), but as expected they aren't given much of a role.

As for the second part, with the exception of Eyeshield 21, a lot of sports anime/manga I've read lack excitement and drive. With Eyeshield 21, just by reading some begining and later parts of the manga you can tell that the characters are serious about winning the match and becoming even better.

There is also the excitement of the "battle". Not knowing if Eyeshied21 is going to win or not and seeing all of his teamates going 100%. Also, unlike some sports series, Eyeshield 21's team didn't always win.

Nothing is more lackluster than a team that keeps winning without struggle or putting every bit of effort in winning.

None the less, the best part of Bamboo Blade is the Funimation English audio. The voice actors really get into character and match the character's personalities quite well. Funimation, along with Viz Media is great with that.

Would I personally say Bamboo Blade is shelf worthy? Maybe, I haven't seen all the episodes. But it sure is better than Dragonaut.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Yeah, uh, I'm gonna have to agree with this one.

I mean c'mon! Sure sports anime have a certain "hot-blooded friendship conquers all" feeling to it, but you see one good sports anime, you've basically seen them all. Period.

The trick is the one you see first. I saw Hikaru no Go, a bit of Eyeshield 21, and a LOT of Fighting Spirit.
I'm convinced that it I were to watch any more sports anime, it'd be more of the same. Not that I dislike sports anime, but it's, mostly, unoriginal material.

Case Closed is understandable, since not everyone likes mystery anime, as you bluntly put it. Smile But Case Closed is good, intelligent fun, that makes you feel smart and cool! Hey, it's one of the two animes that got me into anime in the first place!

As for Dragonaut, I do not blame you... For being a HUGE fan of Gonzo, nothing pains me more than to see them make something that only lowers it's fan appeal.

Erin does have a couple of weird tastes, not to mention how she rates them in Shelf Life, but she does give credible points (for the most part), and I only wish this: That she review more each week! 3-4 a week isn't enough! And half of the time, there are no Shelf Worthy! Either watch more titles, or lower your standards! Very Happy
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:06 am Reply with quote
Ooh, nice shelves this week. I'm really impressed how well you integrated the anime into your living room, so it's part of the decor without looking tacky.
I've seen a lot of photos of anime fans rooms where they just take pictures from magazines and just stick them on their wall, and leave it at that, and it doesn't look very nice. However, by actually finding good quality pictures, (or are they cels? That Burn Up W! one looks like a cel or one of those reproduction cels they were doing years ago) and taking the time fo frame them, as well as using 'standard' decorations, you've managed to pull it off quite nicely.
Actually, I'm more than impressed, I'm jealous. If I wasn't such a packrat and terrible housekeeper, I've love to try something like that.
mckg1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:24 am Reply with quote
Interesting, well she is right about dragonaunts, i felt the character were hollow & had feeling pop up for no reason (Why is she in love with him, they hold hand when the main character meets her for the first time! WTF ?? ) As for the other posts, they are right, i bought FMP! TSR(Blu Ray ) & Spice & Wolf & on the side note, it got an A for the story on ANN review ! How is that not shelf worthy ??? Same goes with FMP TSR.
xchampion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:26 am Reply with quote
I still can`t believe how gonzo can go from making great shows like Samurai 7 and Trinity Blood to a show that is complete utter garbage like dragonaut. Their animation has and always will be the best, but they need to get the stories back to the quailty that they used to be, like with the shows that i mentioned at the beginning of my post. oh and erin I did cross country as well in high school and we didn`t make it to state either but it still was lots of fun. Especially when I got to watch anime on the bus before a meet. It helped me relax so I could have a good race.
Wooga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:27 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
Ooh, nice shelves this week. I'm really impressed how well you integrated the anime into your living room, so it's part of the decor without looking tacky.
I've seen a lot of photos of anime fans rooms where they just take pictures from magazines and just stick them on their wall, and leave it at that, and it doesn't look very nice. However, by actually finding good quality pictures, (or are they cels? That Burn Up W! one looks like a cel or one of those reproduction cels they were doing years ago) and taking the time fo frame them, as well as using 'standard' decorations, you've managed to pull it off quite nicely.
Actually, I'm more than impressed, I'm jealous. If I wasn't such a packrat and terrible housekeeper, I've love to try something like that.

Yup, looks like they are all real cells. Wish the pictures were less grainy so I could see what exactly.
Labbes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I mean c'mon! Sure sports anime have a certain "hot-blooded friendship conquers all" feeling to it, but you see one good sports anime, you've basically seen them all. Period.

The trick is the one you see first. I saw Hikaru no Go, a bit of Eyeshield 21, and a LOT of Fighting Spirit.
I'm convinced that it I were to watch any more sports anime, it'd be more of the same. Not that I dislike sports anime, but it's, mostly, unoriginal material.

I haven't seen any of the shows you listed, but I think Shion no Ou differs quite a bit from them, although it sadly doesn't have a R1 license.
Also, apart from that you are wrong, you could say the same about Gundam (with perhaps 0080 as an exception), harem, moe or whatever "genre" you want to come up with.

Edit:
Quote:
Yup, looks like they are all real cells. Wish the pictures were less grainy so I could see what exactly.

I think they are from Project A-ko and Ranma.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:26 am Reply with quote
Sigh, I couldn't agree more with your analysis of Boobanaut, Erin. I wonder if some group out there can answer my plea one day and make a dragon-centered anime worth its production value (meticulously hand-drawn dragons, wonderful character interaction between dragons and humans, a well-written story and for the love of Mike, no dragons dying). Asking Ryukihei to come back and come up with something is probably too much (though heaven only knows why he stopped making such great dragon work).
Wooga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:26 am Reply with quote
Edit:
Quote:

I think they are from Project A-ko and Ranma.[/quote]

think I also see a Burn up W in there as well.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:13 am Reply with quote
Erin wrote:
I grew up in a time when sequels tended to suck.

To quote Derek Powers, "Do you have any idea how little that narrows it down?"
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:32 am Reply with quote
XChampion wrote:
I still can`t believe how gonzo can go from making great shows like Samurai 7 and Trinity Blood...

I'm going to have to stop you there. Trinity Blood was a great show? Really? That show was widely panned as having a pretty mediocre plot, not to mention all the ripoffs from other works (such as Last Exile, Hellsing, Trigun, Chrno Crusade; heck, even Equilibrium). It was just a pretty show with not a single original bone in it. And you call it great?

I guess it is a law of the Internet. No, even more, a Law of Humanity. Every philosophical viewpoint, and every fictional work, has at least one supporter, one person who thinks it is one of the best (if not THE best).

----------

And yeah, I too was surprised to see Bamboo Blade being a Shelf Worthy title. It is rather expensive, something which Erin has highlighted in the past as being an important factor in deciding whether a title should be Shelf Worthy or merely Rental. And as others have pointed out, it is a sports work, and once you have seen one you have - by and large - seen them all. Given that it does have some flaws (mentioned by Erin), and given that it doesn't possess wide appeal, I'm thinking that its rating is not justified. Erin never really gave an explanation as to why it is a Shelf Worthy title. Though she pointed out that she had difficulty deciding what score it should receive, she still settled on Shelf Worthy. Why? Because of the story? I haven't watched the show yet, but that doesn't sit right with me. Nothing you mentioned sounds particularly interesting.

If you want to watch a truly Shelf Worthy title, get your hands on Hikaru no Go any way you can. It is an amazing show, probably the best straight-Shounen/sports Anime I have ever seen, period. Now, that might not sound like a lot, given the usual dismal quality of such works (Prince of Tennis, anyone?), but in this case the quality is objectively good. Check it out.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:03 am Reply with quote
I forgot, but was it these set of episodes where Tama mentioned that Goro Taniguchi is an awesome director or was it the first set?

Her moments of fangirling over the super sentai series Blade Bravers and spoiler[even becoming part of the movie] was just as amusing as the kendo matches itself (especially since I have a younger sister who goes just as nuts over the current super sentai stuff a Tama). It's a shame you didn't like those episodes.

I would say it is anyone best interest to start buying this series especially if you want FUNi to license more series featuring cutesy, moe girls in them.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:11 am Reply with quote
Those shelves, hell that room is nice, but we can't actually see what's on the shelves. What's the point of showing off your collection if no one knows whats on them?

That Ranma/Sailor Moon thing is awesome, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Macron One

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:17 am Reply with quote
It's nice to see Bamboo Blade rated shelfworthy. I enjoyed that series a lot.

I'm very impressed by this week's shelves. That's a really elegant, attractive way of storing anime DVDs. My shelves are a complete mess compared to those and badly in need of reorganizing.
He's also got some nice framed cels there of Urusei Yatsura, Ranma, Project A-ko versus and Burn Up W. Having recently started collecting cels myself, i've not yet been brave enough to frame any of mine due to the risk of warping of the cel or fading of the image.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4