• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st Macross Series Streaming with English Dub on Hulu

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roesnail

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:13 pm Reply with quote
sweet i always wanted to hear the adv dub but i already invested into the animeigo remasters way before it came out.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Just the dubbed version? That's a bit disappointing.

Oh well, I have the AnimeEigo set if I want to watch it in Japanese, but I hate to think of others having to endure an ADV dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Katane

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Excellent! I always wanted to see Macross now I get my chance!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
nedmech

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Very Happy Awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome! Very Happy
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Who is Fireworks International? And why do they have the online streaming rights to Macross? Did Sentai lose the rights to Macross in the move?
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I might check this out. I vaguely remember an older kid I knew back when I was in 1st grade talking about how awesome of a cartoon Robotech was and I did enjoy Macross Frontier.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I'd stick to the subs unless your a big Vic fan. Casual Vic fans may wanna stay away. And for me personally, i was actually disturbed having Mari Iijima doing Minmay again. That just... I don't know but I immediately swapped back to the Japanese Track... she wasn't bad and it makes sense they way they did it but I guess having an original cast member as part of the Dub team really really threw me... can't explain it.

spoiler[Think, Edward Elric flying a plane. That's all I'm saying.]
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:12 pm Reply with quote
The dub is okay, as a Vic fan, I was surprised he was in this, but I do like it, I don't know how I feel about it, but the story's neat that's all I can say.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I already own the ADV dubbed DVDs, and I don't mind the dub too much. Maybe its because I don't have any other attachments to another dub, but it sounds normal to me. I still prefer the original. But it still doesn't detract anything. spoiler[(Hikaru does sound like Edward in a plane though. I will give you that)]

I'm glad other people get to enjoy it though. Maybe it will persuade them to buy the DVDs? :3
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote
See, I've never seen FMA, so when I saw Adult Swim's Brotherhood trailer, I associated Edward's voice with Hikaru. (Well, first Vic, then I had to figure out what else I'd heard him use that voice in.)
Crystal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:34 am Reply with quote
I was actually on Hulu today and noticed the whole series was on there, I didn't notice it was recently added.

But either way, I'm glad! Especially since the DVDs are hard to find! I had already rented the first 4 episodes and want to watch the rest of the series!
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:41 am Reply with quote
penguin: I'm guessing the reason it's dub-only is that Big Pest and Bandai Visual JP would probably start new legal crap with HG.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:46 am Reply with quote
Best news all day! I've already watched 16 of the ADV dub, and it is quite profesional...

Vic is tight, Monica uses her "adult-mature" voice nicely, Minmay is... a funny English Minmay!

All in all, I'm happy!
ABetterTimeandPlace

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:57 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
penguin: I'm guessing the reason it's dub-only is that Big Pest and Bandai Visual JP would probably start new legal crap with HG.

Please don't forget Harmony Gold started the decade-long round of legal threats in 1999. Name-calling and unwarranted aspersions don't change that.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:28 am Reply with quote
kawaiibunny3 wrote:
I'm glad other people get to enjoy it though. Maybe it will persuade them to buy the DVDs? :3

If so then good luck to them because those DVDs and the thinpak set are extremely hard to find now.

Lucky for me i found and bought my set at Media Blasters's Rareflix store a few months ago so i'm grateful. Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2