• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'Young Director' to Helm Studio Ghibli's Work in 2011

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:12 am Reply with quote
So he or she will only be 49 years old? Laughing
ZenErik

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:58 am Reply with quote
Hopefully Goro's second film will actually be somewhat coherent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cosign

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:36 am Reply with quote
i'll watch the Isao Takahata one. Very looking forward to that. I'll watch the new guy's movie as well. Goro Miyazaki's next film? That can go to hell. I see all these people are insiders at Studio Ghibli, I guess no chance of taking in new talents from outside the company. However I'm sure the studio has More than enough talented people to pick from. (except for that Goro bastard)
Shaterri

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm more than willing to give Goro Miyazaki another chance; it seems unfair to judge someone on the basis of just one film.

On the other hand, in my dreams the new 'young director' that Ghibli recruits is Makoto Shinkai... *wistfully daydreams*
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...after this summer's Karigurashi no Arrietty (The Borrower Arrietty) film...

In light of this, one expects it'd be difficult to faithfully translate this film's title as "The Borrowers". Should this not be done, I expect that English-speaking fans of the books (and their dramatisations) will have to be informed of the connection by means of a subtitle on the promotional poster.

Shaterri wrote:
On the other hand, in my dreams the new 'young director' that Ghibli recruits is Makoto Shinkai... *wistfully daydreams*

Although Makoto Shinkai certainly shows admiration for numerous Ghibli works, and has even been compared to Miyazaki by some critics, I would prefer him to continue his focus on the variety of storytelling for which he has demonstrated his prowess. Indeed, one wonders whether his filmmaking would stand to gain from a collaboration with such a studio.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
toru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:44 pm Reply with quote
ANN does not report this great event?
http://blog.karigurashi.jp/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1