• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Madhouse Industry Panel

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:40 pm Reply with quote
A US release for Redline! Hooray!
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
When asked why Madhouse does not animate many moe series, Maruyama said it's because he thinks Madhouse "sucks" at making moe series, but that if they were approached to make a moe series, they would make it.

More like Madhouse would suck for making moe series. Rolling Eyes Does CCS count as moe, though? Laughing
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:35 pm Reply with quote
The Tibetan Dog thing intrigues me and worries me, more because I don't trust the Chinese government an inch. Fingers crossed that this will be good but not holding my breath.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:54 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
The Tibetan Dog thing intrigues me and worries me, more because I don't trust the Chinese government an inch. Fingers crossed that this will be good but not holding my breath.

Definitely intrigues me with the Monster creator and the Monster anime adaptation's director on the project. Looking forwards to finding out more about it.

That sounded surprisingly less vague than I expected at the possibility for more Trigun animation, fans of the series really need to step up and buy the new movie, unsurprisingly they sound open to revisiting Trigun if it's successful here as here's where the anime really broke out but it sounds like surprisingly didn't even really dodge the possibility with his answer. Hopefully that's true and we can support the new movie enough for them to really consider it. Smile

ZakuAce wrote:
A US release for Redline! Hooray!

Yeah, looking forward to it, looks crazy Smile
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Tibetan Dog is a co-production with the Chinese government. It will have character designers by 20th Century Boys and Pluto manga creator Naoki Urasawa and will have Masayuki Kojima as a director.

Count me in the same camp as wandering-dreamer. While the staff thrills me, I'm deeply concerned how the Chinese gov't will decide to depict Tibet. Their treatment of all their various minority groups (most of which get much less publicity than the Tibetans) in terms of mass migrations of Han Chinese to their homelands and persecution of their culture is the black eye on every accomplishment the gov't has made in terms of improving stability and economic conditions. Of course any production they back will try to downplay that...

...but then again, is this set in modern-day Tibet? Or is it mostly about the breed of Tibetan dogs? If you made it rural enough, far away from Lhasa and the Dalai Lama, you might be able to get away with a charming slice-of-life picture that wouldn't court much controversy either way. Wait and see, I suppose?
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Wait, Kaiji isn't a moe anime?

I love how Madhouse tells you the truth. Most studios would sit up there and say "We aren't allowed to talk about this, that, etc" or they would beat around the bush". Nothing on Hajime no Ippo though? Damn.
Circle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:17 am Reply with quote
Thank goodness for less moe.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Circle wrote:

Amen! Very Happy

Maruyama is a character! I love his response to the "censored" anime "If I talk about it, I have to make it!" LOL!

Why are we worried that China will have a say in a Japanese anime about Tibet (did I miss something in the article?)
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Circle wrote:

Madhouse doesn't do a lot of moe anyway, so this is not a reduction.
Quote:
When asked why Madhouse does not animate many "moe" series, Maruyama said it's because he thinks Madhouse "sucks" at making moe series, but that if they were approached to make a moe series, they would make it
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Why are we worried that China will have a say in a Japanese anime about Tibet (did I miss something in the article?)

Quote:
Tibetan Dog is a co-production with the Chinese government.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:56 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
Wait, Kaiji isn't a moe anime?

I love how Madhouse tells you the truth. Most studios would sit up there and say "We aren't allowed to talk about this, that, etc" or they would beat around the bush". Nothing on Hajime no Ippo though? Damn.

I did actually ask about Hajime no Ippo at Maruyama's second Q&A panel on Saturday, which was thrown off a bit due to the fire alarm incident. Not too many people were there as a result--the line producer for Rainbow had to handle the microphone passing duties to the audience since con volunteers were needed to handle the outside crowd as they were coming back into the convention center--so it's understandable why there might not be a report on that second Q&A. Long story short, Madhouse is not currently working on additional Hajime no Ippo anime but they would be more than happy to do so if NTV were to request it. Guess we'll be waiting a while for that Kamogawa flashback story. Sad

I'm with you all the way regarding Maruyama's honesty at his Q&A sessions. Nearly every question asked--and he encouraged the audience to ask ANYTHING--is met with a 100% honest answer. The only time I thought he gave a, let's say "diplomatic" response was when I asked him how the experience with working together with Marvel on these anime projects compared to the experience with working together with DC on Batman: Gotham Knight. If memory serves, his answer was that regardless of studio, anime productions are a collaborative effort among multiple groups, each having ideas they believe will be beneficial to the end product.

Come to think of it, a lot of these were asked by either myself or people I know. I'm sure I must have been "that guy," so I'll leave it to your imagination to decide which ones they were. (In my defense, I generally only raised my hand to ask questions when nobody else had questions to ask.) Fun fact: every single person who asked a question about Supernatural was a very excitable lady. No guys at any point ever had questions related to the Supernatural anime. Just so we're all clear on this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:01 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

Quote:
Tibetan Dog is a co-production with the Chinese government.
Embarassed that's a very big piece of the article to miss!

Oh, well. I just don't see how China will alow a positive view on Tibet, unless there is nothing the least bit political in the show.

@AnimeWorldOrder: so your saying the Supernatural fandom is mainly female? So what? It's not like Madhouse is producing some yaoi version of the show...maybe the anime will get more guys to check it out (I have the impression that the CW's audience in general has more X-chromosomes, than, say, Spike TV's adience).
Pandadice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:57 am Reply with quote
Oh sweet more Kaiji! definitely something I'm looking forward to.

But awman. it pissed me off how the dude didn't mention Yuasa as the director of Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei. Dude went down all of their most recent things and talked about the original creator and director and character designer or something, until he got to Yojouhan and then he doesn't mention the director at all? what the heck man, what the heck :\
braves

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:21 am Reply with quote
The best news that came from Maruyama at Otakon was that Madhouse is allowing Masaaki Yuasa to make another movie with them. Yuasa being stuck with light novel TV adaptations be damned and this new movie better find distribution in the US. Of course, Mind Game would be a good place to start in regards to distribution. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:40 am Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:
Oh sweet more Kaiji! definitely something I'm looking forward to.

But awman. it pissed me off how the dude didn't mention Yuasa as the director of Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei. Dude went down all of their most recent things and talked about the original creator and director and character designer or something, until he got to Yojouhan and then he doesn't mention the director at all? what the heck man, what the heck :\

This isn't quite correct, but I don't blame you for thinking so. The interpreter did indeed talk about Masaaki Yuasa by name at the presentation during the first Q&A, and his name was listed as director on the screen in English. However, he talked at a normal volume over the louder promotional video for Tatami Galaxy such that you couldn't easily make out what he was saying unless you were close by.

I think of all the titles Madhouse showed, The Tatami Galaxy was the one they had the hardest time conveying the concept and appeal of. I can understand why that is since it's a non-mainstream production by design, but the description they gave was largely just a summary of episode one which didn't necessarily communicate why it was cool or what type of fan would enjoy it. I personally like to pitch the show as "Fight Club meets Groundhog Day" by virtue of the unnamed ever-narrating protagonist, the varying levels of social mayhem that unfolds, and the bizarre cinematography mixed with the romance/time loop aspect. That said, at the second Q&A Maruyama did speak pretty highly of Masaaki Yuasa when asked, and he was also given his due during the Welcome to the Space Show Q&A. He's certainly not being ignored.

Agent355 wrote:
AnimeWorldOrder: so your saying the Supernatural fandom is mainly female? So what? It's not like Madhouse is producing some yaoi version of the show...maybe the anime will get more guys to check it out (I have the impression that the CW's audience in general has more X-chromosomes, than, say, Spike TV's adience).

That's not what I'm saying. The sharp, suddenly confrontational tone of your response actually conveys my underlying point: from the perspective of a total outsider with no interest in it (that's me), Supernatural's a property whose fandom following consists primarily of hardcore slash/yaoi enthusiasts, for which the most visible group stands ready to totally flip out over this upcoming anime or anything else they perceive as a slight against the TV series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2