• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GLORIOUS RETURN: Oreimo #1-4

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
machetecat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:08 pm Reply with quote
17:20-17:26 The subtitles go out. I have no idea spoiler[what kinds of little sisters are her favorite now.]

So far, I like the show. I think I'm gonna read up on it, but I hope they don't go all wierd with the relationship. (I know that's probably asking for the impossible) I like the story concept, though. And the animation is adorable.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I missed that whole speech about the different ways little sisters say "onii-chan."

1. Is there a way too turn off the black background that shows behind the subs? It's perfectly easy enough to read them when it's just yellow.

2. Is there a hotkey for Pause/Play?
3mapletrees

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:26 pm Reply with quote
720p better than crunchyroll (ie no buffering at least on my sad laptop). I like the show too. I don't like the black background on the subs, it's distracting. Thanks for starting to stream simulcasts.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I guessing perhaps either the translator didn't know the what the appropriate English equivalent was at first and skipped it for the time being and forgot to go back over it, or they were left out purposely per request. Probably just a mistake that'll be corrected later on.

In all, it was a pretty good episode. Not completely smooth at first (mostly in the middle), but things came together after the revelation. I liked how multi-faceted it was in terms of how it projected their relationship and how it played off of eroge aspects, albeit in a warped, non-creepy way. In that respect, it also funny seeing the otaku bit completely twisted around with a younger sister fawning over siscon games and anime and her oh-too-true spending habits ("showing support"). It looks like it can be a clever show, so hopefully it can keep it up through its run (and avoid easy pitfalls). Surprised the video service didn't crash when the simulcast when live...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Heminga13

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I decided to wait for ANN to put up the episode to check it out, both to see if the series would be interesting and see how well ANN's video player was. I found the first episode to be amusing but I keep getting 'failed to load XML' errors every once in awhile while watching. I'm not sure if that's a problem on my end or ANN's, but otherwise everything was fine (other than the aforementioned missing subs for a few lines).
Brand

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:54 pm Reply with quote
This show was a lot cuter then then I thought it would be. I love the voice actor for Kyosuke, I can't believe I haven't heard him in anything until now. Also, I am amusing by the fact the father has Gendo's voice.

The 720 steaming was very nice, though the video did start to break up a few times. Nothing to annoying though. I'd say the biggest problem was the missing subs. I mean even if you can't put anything there for some legal reason or another then put a note in or make a joke and have all the subs be like "???". The black bar was alright, I kind of liked it since it was going over the scrolling text but didn't like it as much when it kept moving around.

All in all, good work guys! I can't wait to see Togainu no Chi!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Razzuel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:58 pm Reply with quote
The show seems alright, so far; it definitely has the potential to be hilarious given some of Kyou's reactions. I'm interested in seeing how it progresses, since it is an interesting premise. I'm at least going to buy access to Oreimo; I'll wait and see on Togainu.

Now, about the subtitles. Overall, they were annoying. I noticed a handful of grammatical errors; a couple of lines by Kirino, when's she discussing little sisters, are missing; "onii-chan" is left untranslated; and the subtitles' height aren't constant — they were always jumping around.

Missing lines are inexcusable, and that's something that should have never happened. Also, I loathe it when subtitles leave "onii-chan" untranslated. There's no excuse for not translating it into big brother, brother, big bro, bro, Kyousuke, or Kyou. Every time I read "onii-chan" it's like someone's stabbing me in chest.

I'm not expecting you to change your policies on a whim here, since you probably already have rules set out for the translator, but it would be nice if you could consider these issues that I've noticed. Thank you.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:08 pm Reply with quote
The missing subs appear to be a technical glitch and we're looking into it now. The translator didn't skip anything.

We left the phrase "Onii-chan" intact because the differentiation between different ways of saying big brother in Japanese is important to the show. Accuracy should never physically injure anyone. Wink

The black bars were not ideal, but trust me on this one - trying to read those lines without them on certain monitors was positively blinding.

Last edited by jsevakis on Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
tenebrusmke79

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:11 pm Reply with quote
The episode was funny. I was impressed by it. Thank you, ANN, for bringing this title to us legally! It's going to be fun.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Man was the episode funny and great. Very Happy Thanks ANN for joining in on the simulcasting business. I found it kinda funny she also got (Episode 1 spoiler) spoiler[the American versions of that anime she loved so much.] Laughing
NormalMar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. I like the character designs, and thought Kirino was really cute.

Didn't really have any problems with the player either, although I noticed a couple of grammar mistakes in the subtitles. I'm looking forward to Togainu no Chi.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:38 pm Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
17:20-17:26 The subtitles go out.

We've corrected this and we're very sorry it happened. There was a small mistake in the subtitles and that subtitle was placed in the wrong spot.

-t
Razzuel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:43 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
The missing subs appear to be a technical glitch and we're looking into it now. The translator didn't skip anything.

We left the phrase "Onii-chan" intact because the differentiation between different ways of saying big brother in Japanese is important to the show. Accuracy should never physically injure anyone. Wink

The black bars were not ideal, but trust me on this one - trying to read those lines without them on certain monitors was positively blinding.

Well, at least it was a technical glitch. Thanks for looking into it, and hopefully it doesn't happen again.

Honestly, that reasoning for leaving "onii-chan" intact seems like a cop-out. I don't know the different ways of saying big brother in Japanese, and I certainly don't know the implications behind their differences, so leaving it intact for that reason is entirely lost on me. Is there no way to convey the same information in English? I don't know the answer to that, but I do know that a solution definitely involves being creative.

Alright, so maybe it's not exactly like someone stabbing me in the chest, but it's definitely irksome seeing it in the subtitles. Wink

The black bars were fine, but the problem was that the subtitles' height weren't constant, so the black bar jumped around a couple of times when a line's height changed, which was distracting.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this episode, so I'll have to check it out from now on.

A free trip to Japan, eh? I think I'll try my hand at it. Nothing to lose, I suppose.

One question regarding the stream when the black bars showed up: what was the scrolling text in the background? Was this part of the story or was it just the "closed captioning" not turned off? Threw me off a bit, not that it mattered.

I also enjoyed the fact it was commercial free. Smile

As for translation notes, would it hurt to request these be a different color than the primary text color?
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:08 pm Reply with quote
The scrolling Japanese text was "watch this episode online on Nico Nico Douga!" and some other promo. Nothing relevant to us in North America I'm afraid.

As for the lines jumping up and down, I think we might be able to fix that going forward with a small adjustment to our workflow. Let me look into that.

Ironically, that missing line (now restored) might explain the different ways of saying big brother...

Oreimo Ep1 wrote:
Every different character type calls me, "Onii-chan", "Aniki", "Niini", "Onii-chama", etc., with adoration... Each one does it in their own special way! That's just, aahh...

Your feedback is most greatly appreciated.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6