• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kingdom Hearts II Manga to Return in Japan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Finally! He had stopped the manga just when it was getting good!

I hope that Amano does Birth by Sleep after II is finished.
Regannator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
This is exciting news for all fourteen of the manga's fans!
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I remember people complaining about Tokyopop never finishing it, but I had no idea that it was on hiatus... for 6 whole years!

If everything ends up getting a (complete) re-release, I'll consider getting them at some point.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Now that Tokyopop is gone and Kingdom Hearts is continuing...Wouldn't that mean Yen Press would have the best shot at getting it?

Though I recall hearing that Disney was involved in the localisation, or at least looked over the translations before the books were released.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I hope this means someone will be interested in rescuing the manga here and finishing it. Seriously, it's painful having just two volumes, that's all Tokyopop ever put out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
Now that Tokyopop is gone and Kingdom Hearts is continuing...Wouldn't that mean Yen Press would have the best shot at getting it?

Though I recall hearing that Disney was involved in the localisation, or at least looked over the translations before the books were released.

TP did have a Disney license to do stuff, since I remember most of my volumes had redundant ads of the Lizzle McGuire cine-comic.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I really hope this news means that someone will pick this up here. I'd like a finished manga version of this game more than any other and it'd be so great if maybe Yen brought it back here!
Faiga_Raisa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:56 am Reply with quote
Regannator wrote:
This is exciting news for all fourteen of the manga's fans!

I like you.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:20 am Reply with quote
According to the 2007 Bookscan report, Kingdom Hearts manga had some very nice numbers. The second volume was ranked as #26 with about 43,000 units listed. The first volume of II had around 33,000 units. So, it couldn't have been doing too badly.

Of course, perhaps the Disney contracts weren't worth it. I know TP released Monsters Inc, Kirara Princess, Disney Fairies, and a handful of OEL. I just don't know how any of those did for them.
The Risky Penguin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm so glad to hear this. I did like the manga. Their were more jokes in them than the games, that were actually funny.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unknown Memory

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote
If no manga localization company picks up the KH series, I might as well start buying the rest of the KH2 manga in Japanese. It's been a "nice" feeling to have an incomplete KH2 manga after all these years. (At least, Tokyo Pop is no more so I don't have to worry about any of them touching any more KH. Then again, they left a lot of series in dry land.... =.=; )

Also looking forward to when Amano starts Birth by Sleep, but that probably won't be for awhile. He has a looooong journey ahead with Birth by Sleep, coded (to keep up the tradition despite the minimal story), and Dream Drop Distance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1