• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Black Cat (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Black Cat (TV)

Genres: action, comedy
Themes: assassins, bounty hunters

Plot Summary: Train Heartnet is known as the Black Cat for his quick reactions to attacks and his title as Number Thirteen as member of the secret society Chronos. He is an unbeatable master gunman, a cold and unfeeling killer until he meets Saya, a bounty hunter, or "sweeper". She teaches him the value of a human life, and that one should live in order to repent for one's mistakes rather than die because of them. Through her, Train learns to love and care for other people as he too becomes a sweeper and travels with his partner Sven and the mysterious girl Eve.

-----------------------

Didn't see a topic for this show in the discussion index thread. Mods, feel free to spruce up the intro (or delete if one already exists and I just didn't find it).

Just finished episode 8 of this series and one thing that really bugged me was spoiler[Train's complete 180 as far as his character's demeanor and attitude. I mean, I assume he came to realize a few things about himself after that spat with Eve at Sven's hideout, so I can understand somewhat of a more relaxed tone to his behavior. But to become so comical and animated after being so quiet and serious was pretty jarring and just seemed totally unrealistic. Not only that, but he vehemently opposed even being helped by Sven and Eve and now HE'S helping THEM with their bounty hunting (albeit so they can all have money for food and so forth, but still, the 'lone wolf' to 'three stooges' change in just one episode didn't sit well with me). Has anyone read the Manga and, if so, does he go through a similar change?]

Other than that, decently enjoyable thus far. A lot of its plotting seems very familiar, but I tend not to be too scrutinous when it comes to that sort of thing.

[EDIT: Spruced up your opening post with Encyc. entry, pic, genre & theme descriptors, and plot summary. -TK]
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:06 am Reply with quote
Black Cat is an example of a decent manga turned into a bad anime. In the manga Train is comical and animated, but what you see at the beginning of the anime is shown in flashbacks in the manga. If I remember correctly, it is told that what happens in the flashbacks takes place few years earlier. So in the manga he has also changed greatly, but at least the change occurred over a longer period of time.
Tris8

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:05 am Reply with quote
^ Yep. I haven't seen the anime, but I've heard it is different than the manga. The manga starts off with Train and Sven as partners, with Train's past as an assassin a couple years in the past.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:19 am Reply with quote
I like the anime because GASP, I didn't read the manga!!

So sue. Rolling Eyes

But Sohma Curse, I 100% agree with you. I felt totally cheated out of seeing Train's character development. This is one of my favorite things in story-telling and it was like "Okay, NOW he's like this after six months!" and I'm all "WUT. T____T".

He's still sexy either way. :'D Definitely prefer the anime art over the manga's. Scream all you want.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:11 am Reply with quote
Hmm...yeah, I guess I can understand some liberties being taken due to time constraints and whatnot, but at least the story has picked up a bit and become a little more involved; so that has distracted me from my initial criticisms.

I must admit though, I do much prefer Train's personality AFTER the change. He was totally boring and sterile in the first few episodes. Just wish, as has been said, there was more development showcased on his way to changing.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Aw, I liked his cold, badass self. Anime hyper

But the ep where Eve made him wear the cat bell was the best!!
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Black Cat is generic Shonen Jump. I mean really generic Shonen Jump. I don't hate it, but it's definitely not something I'd buy.

I think one of my biggest problems with the show is with its villain. Creed seems to be meant to come off as so insane it's frightening, but instead he annoys me. He's basically Vicious from Cowboy Bebop if you made him a "creepy homosexual" stereotype and replaced every single bit of his menace with annoying camp.

That's another thing--this show rips entire plot concepts from better stuff. You have the bounty hunting team consisting of an ex-assassisn and ex-copy (Bebop), set on a sci-fi western world like Trigun...and most jarringly, the last few episodes turn directly into Evangelion. It's almost like the writers are admitting how poor they are by all this "borrowing."

The one thing that lifts it up ever so slightly from mediocrity is its amazing cinematography. While not perfect (there are a few points where it's hard to tell what's going on), there are camera tricks you rarely see in anime, and it's really cool.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read the manga yet (planning to though in the future) but I honestly though the anime was pretty decent. Eve is probably my favorite from the show but along with that, Train and Saya's relationship also caught my interest quite a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:06 am Reply with quote
Looneygamemaster wrote:
I think one of my biggest problems with the show is with its villain. Creed seems to be meant to come off as so insane it's frightening, but instead he annoys me. He's basically Vicious from Cowboy Bebop if you made him a "creepy homosexual" stereotype and replaced every single bit of his menace with annoying camp.

Haha but it was so much fun to make fun of him though! My friends and I would make the best jokes about his man-crush on Train...Anime hyper "I SHALL TAKE A ROSE BATH, WHILE THINKING OF YOU, TRAIN!!" roflwtf is that. Anime hyper

Quote:
Train and Saya's relationship also caught my interest quite a bit.

I disliked Saya. She annoyed me so much. No idea why. lol.
*ships TrainxEve* :>
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:04 am Reply with quote
Looneygamemaster wrote:
Black Cat is generic Shonen Jump. I mean really generic Shonen Jump. I don't hate it, but it's definitely not something I'd buy.

I couldn't agree more. When I read it, the lack of originality was quite obvious, but it it still managed to maintain my interest, so I found it fairly likeable.

Sohma_Curse wrote:
I must admit though, I do much prefer Train's personality AFTER the change. He was totally boring and sterile in the first few episodes.

I liked him better before the change, because he looked much more sexier in his long coat. Very Happy

Sohma_Curse wrote:
Just wish, as has been said, there was more development showcased on his way to changing.

Well, unfortunately, it is rare for a shounen series to have deeper characterization, so it is all you will get, as Black Cat is not an exception.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:19 pm Reply with quote
This show is just not that great to begin with, sub-par all around, and that's just the way it is. What you mentioned is not the only flaw.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:

I liked him better before the change, because he looked much more sexier in his long coat. Very Happy

MY GAWD DAT COAT.

........I have a long coat fetish. Anime hyper I'm really mad they didn't make him KEEP it!! >Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1