• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Magi Manga Creator Teases Death of Characters

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jet_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Is it really a good idea to post an article about this?
I'm not reading Magi, but I'm sure a lot of readers don't want to get spoiled on something like this.
Nemui_Nezumi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:44 pm Reply with quote
halfway point in the story with 21 volumes? goodness

I may have to re-think about the decision to start reading/buying the manga... I'm not sure I can afford another long series to be honest

well, at least the author seems to know how to end the story, which I suppose is good...
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Suppose? It's great she knows how it's going to end, more mangaka need to keep this in mind!

Anywho, as long as Mor still lives I'll be good, (I honestly doubt Aladdin or Alibaba will die) everyone else? TO THE GALLOWS!! Twisted Evil
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:06 pm Reply with quote
20$ on Masrus. I have my reasons. Also, it won't be Sinbad. But I think he'll be the final boss. SinBAD indeed.
Sobe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:05 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
20$ on Masrus. I have my reasons. Also, it won't be Sinbad. But I think he'll be the final boss. SinBAD indeed.

Nuu! Not the hot, manly Fanalis! ;<
senbonzakura

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:33 pm Reply with quote
jet_ wrote:
Is it really a good idea to post an article about this?
I'm not reading Magi, but I'm sure a lot of readers don't want to get spoiled on something like this.

I think it's fine though! There isn't any mention of name anyway.
kamina170

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:35 pm Reply with quote
please let it not be Sinbad. please let it not be Sinbad
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm definitely not happy with this. I've come to greatly love the Magi cast and I'd like to continue reading the manga without the constant fear that any given moment, a character is going to die. It's not that I oppose the idea of killing major characters (even if I usually dislike it), but I'd rather not know it's coming, it just makes me anxious.

Quote:

I certainly hope that's not the case. Magi has always excelled at painting grey areas, villains that aren't really villainous like Kassim, enemies that are not quite ill-intentioned like Kouen and heroes that aren't completely honorable like Sinbad. Hakuryuu and Magomett are also characters that have been greatly portrayed at being in a grey area. The only characters that so far have appeared truly evil are Gyokuen and Al-Tharmen.

The most interesting thing about Sinbad and Kouen's rilvalry is that it's hard to side with one or the other because both are equally willing to get their hands dirty in order to achieve what they perceive will be a greater good, not for themselves, but for the world at large. Neither is greedy or power-hungry, they're just doing whatever it takes to "save" the world.

If it all comes down to Sinbad becomind "evil", that fantastic balance and greyness would be lost, and with it, one of the things that make Magi such a unique shonen.

Also I really like Sinbad, and if he goes evil he's going to die and I really don't want it to go that way.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:08 am Reply with quote
I'm not saying Sinbad will turn evil, I'm saying he's plans might be on the extreme side, making Alaldin and his party have to fight him. So far, Magi hasn't really had any real evel people, except the Al Thamen, and they're borderline insane from having fallen to depravity.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:21 am Reply with quote
I never like comments like this. You are the author aka god of your mangaverse. You most certainly don't have to kill of anyone. So don't try act like you are forced to do something beyond your control.
Ginsan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:43 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I never like comments like this. You are the author aka god of your mangaverse. You most certainly don't have to kill of anyone. So don't try act like you are forced to do something beyond your control.

It seems to me that Shinobu-sensei grew attached to the certain characters, but for the sake of her/his story, certain characters have to die.
overlordrae

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:49 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

Sometimes what's best for the story isn't something you want to happen, even if you're the one writing it.

I like all the characters in Magi and don't want any of them to die, but that very feeling for characters in a story just makes their deaths more impactful, really.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Teasing the deaths of characters might be merely some sort of ploy to get publicity. But if deaths are going to happen then it is better not to give warning so it comes as more of a surprise and is more impactful.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:47 am Reply with quote
Let's have a Red Wedding.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1