• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 170 Artists Collaborate for Comiket Heisei Tribute Anthology

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RegSuzaku

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:44 pm Reply with quote
This is all girls.

This is all bishoujo characters.

Like, I know bishoujo fanservice characters are still more popular than bishounen (for now at least), but they should at least have Lelouch. And Conan. You can't deny that those are important, no matter how hard you want to deny that there are any anime fans who are attracted to males.

(edit: "you" meaning the artists, not the writer of the article. But also, like... it is a fact that anime characters are for people who are attracted to them, especially where doujin is concerned. The artists of Comiket aren't making some sort of pro-women statement by excluding male characters, and if you think they are, you don't know doujin.)
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:00 am Reply with quote
The previews on the project's web page show at least 14 male characters at my count. It is overwhelmingly girls, but that's probably a reflection of the people involved in the project.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
RegSuzaku

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:10 am Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
The previews on the project's web page show at least 14 male characters at my count. It is overwhelmingly girls, but that's probably a reflection of the people involved in the project.

Yeah, going on the site, I see one picture with Lelouch, Kaworu, and Ed Elric.

The new era is, essentially, going to mean an equal level of bishounen and bishoujo respect and recognition in anime. Hopefully it will also mean not labeling "bishounen" things as "for women" and "bishoujo" things as "for men". One of my favorite series is bishounen-focused but it's starting to give the girls side more attention, and another one (Code Geass) has long been the most pansexual anime franchise, or at least one of. That's the trend that needs to continue. (I don't personally like Fate, but I respect it for having pansexual fanservice)
omoikane

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:12 pm Reply with quote
#884745 wrote:
This is all girls.

There are no animals or robots either. These are illustrations of fictional characters, with an eye towards doujinshi culture. The fact that it's predominantly "bishoujo characters" shouldn't be all that noteworthy. Treating fictional character gender as a reflection of some human rights item is kind of too much. There are dozens if not hundreds of subcultures celebrated at comiket every 6 months that are missing in this anthology. No big deal.

I mean you made it sound like no women like cute female characters or something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1