Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Digimon Adventure:


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
meiam



Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Posts: 2749
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Pleasantly surprised at the show, but I really can't get over them using omnimon on episode 3. Why would you go all out at the start of the series? Everything is going to feel like a step down after that, "Oh look, greymon digivolved into metal greymon... cool, I guess, but it's no omnimon". They might forcefully separate them in order to prevent that, storywise, but everything will still feel like a step down from here on action wise.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zerreth



Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Posts: 172
Location: E6
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I too am in the camp that they may have shown too much of their hand early on. I think I will enjoy the buildup to each character better and it'll work well in establishing relationships, but in terms of presenting high stakes and drama, I'm still wondering if retelling "Our War Game" right off the bat is a good idea.

It feels like it moved outrageously fast with Taichi accepting a massive amount of information incredibly quickly and the question that will need to be addressed is "why can't you just do the thing you did in Tokyo to resolve.... everything else?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ReifuTD



Joined: 19 Sep 2009
Posts: 169
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:10 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Pleasantly surprised at the show, but I really can't get over them using omnimon on episode 3. Why would you go all out at the start of the series? Everything is going to feel like a step down after that, "Oh look, greymon digivolved into metal greymon... cool, I guess, but it's no omnimon". They might forcefully separate them in order to prevent that, storywise, but everything will still feel like a step down from here on action wise.


I was shocked they added omnimon, I thought they where going to throw out some kind of new OC fusion at lower level. Like how in 02 the Champions DNA digivoled, But I don't have an issue of them omnimon so early, as long as they explore other ideas. Not every threat needs an omnimon or are able to summon him. But the basic idea of what going on this they wanted to adapt the Our War Game OVA the work the story from there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
meiam



Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Posts: 2749
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:28 pm Reply with quote
ReifuTD wrote:

I was shocked they added omnimon, I thought they where going to throw out some kind of new OC fusion at lower level. Like how in 02 the Champions DNA digivoled, But I don't have an issue of them omnimon so early, as long as they explore other ideas. Not every threat needs an omnimon or are able to summon him. But the basic idea of what going on this they wanted to adapt the Our War Game OVA the work the story from there.


Well every threat they face will fall into either of two category:

1) No life are in danger: In which cases, sure don't summon omnimon, but it's kinda boring and the stakes are low.

2) Life are in danger: In which cases, not summoning omnimon is just reckless and callous. If there's ever any negative consequence (not necessarily death, could be injury or such) from the situation then they're going to look like complete jerk for not having tried their hardest (ie summoning omnimon).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
peno



Joined: 06 Jul 2016
Posts: 344
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Christopher Farris wrote:
Tied to that is the show's understanding of when not to use audio, that aforementioned take-down occurring near-wordlessly, something unthinkable in the original series.

I have to correct the reviewer here. He should write: "unthinkable in the Saban dub of the original series". Japanese version of the original Adventure did not hesitate to use silent moments to emphasise the scene. And the first such moment is in the very first episode during the introduction of the children, where all you can hear is some faint bird chirping, some "Oh", "Ah" and similar sounds from children and narrator telling the children's names (and for some weird reason, also grade in case of Taichi, but not anyone else). And the silence continues to the very next scene, where the snowstorm hits and all we can hear is sound of wind, surprised screams of children and male voice commanding the children to hurry up. So, as someone who is fan of Japanese version of Adventure, I feel offended by that statement.

Otherwise, it's great review and I have to agree with most of what was written in it. The only thing I have to say I am disappointed so far is Yamato's voice. It's way too old to be believable for fifth grader. Daisuke Namikawa can do believable child voice, so I don't understand why he chose this approach for Yamato. It felt almost like watching the US dub, where adult man voices for children were sad norm. In contrast with that was Takeshi Kusao's voice for Jou, which was believable child voice, though I'll keep my judgment of Jou's new voice for later, since we only heard one line from him so far. Other than that, however, I liked what I saw so far. Too bad we'll have to wait many months to see the rest of this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Treecko Tempo



Joined: 25 Sep 2016
Posts: 122
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Zerreth wrote:
I too am in the camp that they may have shown too much of their hand early on. I think I will enjoy the buildup to each character better and it'll work well in establishing relationships, but in terms of presenting high stakes and drama, I'm still wondering if retelling "Our War Game" right off the bat is a good idea.

I feel the same. Seeing Omnimon was cool, but also it doesn't feel nearly earned as it did when I first saw the digimon movie after watching all of the original series. I just hope relying on Omnimon does not become a common occurrence in this series.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cardcaptor Takato



Joined: 27 Jan 2018
Posts: 2854
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:52 pm Reply with quote
As someone who grew up with Digimon and is a big fan of the series, I really enjoyed this reboot and I'm excited to see what direction it's going to go in. I love the way the show mixes in enough of nostalgia familiarity with original takes and ideas though I hope the show will head in a more original story focus going forward instead of relying on too many nostalgia callbacks but so far it's a fine balance. I really love the friendship between Taichi and Koshiro and I like the direction they're taking Yamato where he's still the lone wolf type but he's not as overly antagonistic to Taichi like he was in the original show at least not yet.

I also like they're not introducing everyone at once and giving the characters more room to breathe. And I agree the show is doing a great job of building up it's suspense and I think things are going to get even more intense from here on out. I'm already excited for the new Sora. I love Sora in the original show but I always had mixed feelings with how she was written so I'm curious to see what they do with her in the reboot. I'm also impressed with the animation and how fluid and detailed it looks and I'm glad they're going with real time attacks and evolution scenes instead of stock footage this time. I'm also glad they're not using CGI Digimon like they did in Appmon which is something that bothered me about that series as much as I enjoyed Appmon. Though I do miss the inclusion of evolution songs in the battle scenes. As much as I love Butterfly, I'm glad they went with an original theme song this time instead of relying too much on Wada Kouji nostalgia to sell the reboot, which would have felt kind of crass in the wake of his passing if they did that.

I'm fine with them introducing Omegamon this early and honestly this isn't that too different than what they did in the original and I think fans are overselling how much they were able to use Omegamon in the original series as they only really used him a few times in the original canon and most of the time in 02 they were unable to access his powers for various reasons and they're clearly doing the same thing with this reboot. And the Omegamon battle is just going to be the replacement for the Parrotmon vs Greymon fight in the first movie. I think my one criticism of the reboot so far is that there could be some more interaction between the characters. Most of the episodes thus far have focused more on the action scenes and I feel like we haven't gotten that many scenes of just Taichi and Agumon bonding together in spite of their heavy presence throughout these episodes. But I'm hoping the show will slow down some and focus more on this aspect as we're now entering the Digital World.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
XtremeAnimeDan



Joined: 10 May 2004
Posts: 116
Location: Texas
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't say only a few got swept away the second time. Yes, Taicho, Sora, and Izumi all got swept away, but after they were swept away we saw another 3 lights follow them into the Digital World. And given that all 6 lights that got swept into the digital world were different colors, it's an indication that 6 people were swept in the second time.

I'll say I'm enjoying the take on Kairi this time around. It's one thing to introduce her earlier on, but this time she also seems to have an ESP power that allows her to sense where Taichi has been and where he's going.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
peno



Joined: 06 Jul 2016
Posts: 344
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I have to say that this take on Hikari feels creepy for me. Yes, she may seem creepy in her introductory episode of the original, but only until you see the first movie, where it's clearly explained how she knew about Koromon. However, here we have no indication she may know about Digimon, so, her ESP moments do feel creepy to me. Maybe it will be explained later on in the story, but for now, it feels weird and creepy. Not that it's totally bad thing, mind you. I like some creepiness in children anime Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cardcaptor Takato



Joined: 27 Jan 2018
Posts: 2854
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:29 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
Actually, I have to say that this take on Hikari feels creepy for me. Yes, she may seem creepy in her introductory episode of the original, but only until you see the first movie, where it's clearly explained how she knew about Koromon. However, here we have no indication she may know about Digimon, so, her ESP moments do feel creepy to me. :
She had these powers in the original and Tri as well through the spoiler[Homeostasis that possesed her ].
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hagaren Viper



Joined: 28 Apr 2011
Posts: 557
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:04 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
Otherwise, it's great review and I have to agree with most of what was written in it. The only thing I have to say I am disappointed so far is Yamato's voice. It's way too old to be believable for fifth grader. Daisuke Namikawa can do believable child voice, so I don't understand why he chose this approach for Yamato. It felt almost like watching the US dub, where adult man voices for children were sad norm.


OG Yamato's voice didn't remotely sound like a child's voice either - and sounded older than most of the dub cast - so it's really not unprecedented.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheWolfhart



Joined: 04 Mar 2014
Posts: 26
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm not thrilled about Omegamon appearing so early but some of the complaints I'm reading seem to assume that they can just summon it at will and I don't think that's the case.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DRosencraft



Joined: 27 Apr 2010
Posts: 382
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I know the last thing this series needs is to get caught in the trap of being compared too much to other contemporaries, but bringing out Omnimon right of the bat here in this reboot feels a lot like when Yugi pulled out Exodia to beat Kaiba in Yu-Gi-Oh. I feel like they will have no choice but to head-fake their way into explaining why no threat from here on, which should by all logic be as great if not greater than what they've already faced, does not allow them to call out Omnimon again. Yes, the original Digimon series found its way around this too - after all the movie was not the end of the timeline. But everything about this moment in the series just reminds me of the Exodia moment.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Juno016



Joined: 09 Jan 2012
Posts: 2010
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:56 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
Christopher Farris wrote:
Tied to that is the show's understanding of when not to use audio, that aforementioned take-down occurring near-wordlessly, something unthinkable in the original series.

I have to correct the reviewer here. He should write: "unthinkable in the Saban dub of the original series". Japanese version of the original Adventure did not hesitate to use silent moments to emphasise the scene.


I came to the comments to respond to the same point. The English dub made a deliberate point to never give us silence (presumably for the sake of kids' attention spans, whatever logic that follows), but one of the highlights of watching the Japanese version is seeing just how deliberate the silence is, and uncommonly for a kid's show, there is a LOT of silence. It carries the mood throughout the original very well.

Hikari: "Thank you for saving the world, onii-chan."

Taichi: "Wait, how do you-"

Hikari: "A little feather told me."

Taichi: "Don't you mean a little bird?"

Hikari: *smile* "Nope!" *runs off*

Cryptic as always, Hikari. Love it.

My opinion on Omegamon's appearance, though... I don't think it happening is a bad thing. Pulling out the strong card near the beginning is a common literary technique. I just struggle to find the mechanism behind this. Taichi shows bravery from the beginning, but Yamato's crest of friendship? Is his silent acknowledgement of others good enough? Do they even need the crests? Do they evolve based on need? In fact, how did Koromon evolve in episode 1? So. Many. Questions. And I have a feeling many are going to go unanswered. Deus Ex Digimon yo. Honestly, though, I'm getting sick of Omegamon. I like him, but Taichi and Yamato get nearly all the OP and ED screentime, plus multiple movies, and are the main two in the reboot thus far. If they're going to start off with an arc dedicated to them, I hope they give us arcs, OPs and EDs for the other characters, too. In fact, do the Omegamon thing again, but with everyone else. What kind of non-binary dragon/angel would we get with the two angels? I'll take literally any combination of the remaining 4 kids, too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Cardcaptor Takato



Joined: 27 Jan 2018
Posts: 2854
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Honestly, though, I'm getting sick of Omegamon. I like him, but Taichi and Yamato get nearly all the OP and ED screentime, plus multiple movies, and are the main two in the reboot thus far. If they're going to start off with an arc dedicated to them, I hope they give us arcs, OPs and EDs for the other characters, too. In fact, do the Omegamon thing again, but with everyone else. What kind of non-binary dragon/angel would we get with the two angels? I'll take literally any combination of the remaining 4 kids, too.
I think people are being hasty in making a lot of assumptions about the direction of the show based only on the first three episodes when as the review points out the original show had to introduce 14 characters in one episode and set up the plot. The reboot still has a dozen characters they haven't introduced yet that they're clearly going to introduce to the show in a gradual build up. And if anything, I feel like these episodes focused more heavily on Taichi and Koshiro's friendship than on Yamato and they're already setting up for more focus on Sora and Hikari and Takeru.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group